No announcement yet.

Project Corona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set to work on the intake side and the IM came off simply save for a bit of an access issue with a 6mm hex-key. Then first major issue as I tackled the water rail where the cap-head bolts decided to round. Managed to pull a couple without much drama but eventually left with one which wouldn't budge…time to carefully drill it out.

Attached Files
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

With it finally drilled out and the hole tapped, time to lift the lid on the head…

i am pretty sure it had some head replacement in its early years as the dizzy gear rings on the intake camshaft are i think the same fine thread, split ones as the early AAN. This was a late 3b build, engine number 012793.

Attached Files
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Out with the cams and so far everything is looking clean and tidy with no obvious nasty markings on the lobes or the tappets either
        Attached Files
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Split the head from the block this evening…and gasket issue was confirmed. Looks like a section has broken away and there was plenty of oil in the headbolt hole in the block. I did have a little bit of milky coolant…not enough to be a major issue but there was something causing it and now can only presume it was in some way related to this.
          Attached Files
          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Head looks like its in decent shape with only a small crack on the spark plug thread in #4. This was last off the car in Jan 2012 when Darren (DJones) rebuilt the engine following a spirited session at Audi Driver where i toasted the bottom end and almost spun a bearing…was right down to the copper material.
            Attached Files
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Looks like a fair bit of carbon build up on the pistons…does this look normal? Car hasn't been driven since end 2019/spring 2020.
              Attached Files
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

There is a bit of fine scoring one one of the cylinders at the very top. I remember discussing this at length when it was originally seen but was felt to be so minor and barely possible to feel with a fingernail that we just decided to give a light hone and crack on as compression had been good across all pots. Honing marks are still strongly visible now even. In total, the engine has done about 240k miles. Will continue to strip down the block and then get stuff ready for cleaning, block to get checked, cleaned and decked…exciting to be rebuilding for the first time myself…!
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Continued the strip down, removed the sump and extension, oil pickup and then set out pulling out the pistons and boxing and marking up everything for safe keeping and cleaning.

discovered an odd mark where the cam chain is situated. Either impact damage or some issue with the casting/machining but haven't so far found any evidence of material in the sump or oil pickup.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

All looks pretty good in there, certainly nothing out of the ordinary or to be concerned about, that mark where the cam chain runs is odd, almost looks like a casting flaw, if the engine was running fine before strip down I wouldn't worry about it. Firing up an engine you've built up yourself for the first time is highly rewarding, you've plenty of work to do before you get there and it'll good for another 200 odd K once your done.
                    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                      All looks pretty good in there, certainly nothing out of the ordinary or to be concerned about, that mark where the cam chain runs is odd, almost looks like a casting flaw, if the engine was running fine before strip down I wouldn't worry about it. Firing up an engine you've built up yourself for the first time is highly rewarding, you've plenty of work to do before you get there and it'll good for another 200 odd K once your done.
                      Yeah, slowly does it, am really enjoying the process…quite mindful just taking time and being deliberately systematic. #1 conrod bearing shells looked like it was possibly a bit oil starved, will put up a picture but yes was running ok before, just a bit of oil film in coolant header and some evidence of an oil weep from the gasket.
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

The head gasket was on it's way out in that case, best you've caught it now before it failed properly. Looking at the colour of the combustion chambers and the carbon on the piston crowns I'd say she was burning a little oil before strip down, though really not very much, I'd suspect the exhaust valve guides/seals want doing which you probably already knew.

I love building engines, haven't actually ever done an Audi I5 motor, though I have plans for a high power S2 engine, got the flowed head from my car and the strengthened bottom end from Andy10V's old 3B, it'll all be coming apart and inspected before I build it up. The closest I've motor I've done is a MK2 Golf 16V, though I've rebuilt a couple of Merc van five pot's.
                        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Not much progress but did manage to grab a parts washer for £60 and over the break put it to good use with some No Nonsense degreaser. Results speak for themselves

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 4 photos.
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Also picked up a soda blaster to clean up the head and valves for £50 including the soda.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.
                            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Decided that preping various bits was the next stop, so managed to grab a blasting cabinet at the weekend and ordered a compressor.
                              This gallery has 4 photos.
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Nice big cabinet. Are you running it off that little compressor? Or do you have something bigger in the background? I think it's going to make your nice clean tidy garage rather dusty. I'm running mine in an empty stable.
                                lovely cast wishbones as well. I wish I had cast wishbones
                                Nothelle S2 Avant
                                Black Ur project
                                Ocianic Ur project gone
                                S2 Coupe project gone
                                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                                X