Audi Coupe 1990 - 800+HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi Coupe 1990 - 800+HP

At the beginning of this year due to me being at the right place at the right time, I got the opportunity to buy one of existing S2Forum member Kiku 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro without engine and gearbox.
    My goal with the car was to cross the "magical" 300km/h @ 1mile speed and after that a 10s pass @ 1/4mile.

Kiku had already put a lot of work into the body, suspension and interior part - now the only thing the car needed was a engine/gearbox combo to match the rest of the awesome work. We started discussing this before me making the purchase and I gave Kiku basically the choice to choose all the components that will go into building the powertrain part and also to put everything together and supervise / help me in the future with the car. I still have ALOT to learn from him but I am slowly getting the experience. Most of the wiring work / Maxxecu installation work is done by me but not the tuning part.

Let's get to the interesting part now.
    These are the current car specs of the car - there is alot more done to it and if anyone wants to know more I am happy to respond.
    Code:
    Head:
    CNC cut chambers, custom oiling
    7A Camshafts
    FCP springs and retainers
    New OEM TRW valves and lifters
    Tommis billet adjustable cam gear
    FCP adjustable chain gears
    7A cam cover

Block:
    S6 AAN machined and balanced
    JE pistons 81,5 (cr 8,5)
    FCP H-beam rods
    Stock S6 AAN crank
    7A flywheel
    707 SRE pressure plate
    SRE 6-buck clutch disc
    Tommis billet crankshaft gear

General:
    Precision PT6062 Gen2 ar 0.83 v-band
    MaxxECU Race
    CP service 321 stainless exhaust manifold
    Full 3.5" stainless exhaust w. Magnaflow mufflers
    Custom two chamber intake
    5x EGT sensors
    Tial 44mm MR-V wastegate
    Tial Q 50 blow off
    Flexfuel
    Finjector 1500cc EV14 injectors
    3x Bosch 044
    01E 6speed transmission
    Wagner EVO 2 Gen2 cooler
    Front: Brembo 4 piston. Rear: S8 D2
    80mm aluminium radiator + 90 7a additional
    60-2 trigger kit
    AEROMOTIVE A1000 FPR

Suspension:
    H&R Blue springs
    Koni RS2 shocks
    S2 suspension struts
    Sport Quattro replica swingarms
    S2 swaybars
    S2 5x112 hub conversion
    Full AK motorsport bushing kit

Body:
    Full S2 restored interior
    RS2 front bumper

Here is the dyno sheet and video of the pull. Car is running on E85 and 2.9bar boost.
    Measured KW / NM from the wheels.

A small video I put together after dyno day:

Yesterday I successfully competed at a local Estonian event called "One Mile Challenge". The final result for the Coupe was 315km/h @ 1mile so one of the goals is already achieved
    Unfortunately I forgot to start the recording on my interior GoPro so sadly there is interior footage of the run I will soon add a video of some exterior videos of the run.

There is much work and upgrades to be done for next years One Mile challenge, for example:
    1. Rollcage (probably will go with removable half cage as I want to keep the full interior)
    2. Racing seat, harness and neck support
    3. Parachute
    4. Fire extinguishing system
    5. Water-meth injection
    ... and a lot more that I can't think of right now.

For me to start "hunting" the 10s pass, it needs stronger axels and for me to start practicing flat-shifting It currently has S2 axels at the front and 7a OEM ones at the back. I am 99% sure that they will break the first time I will try to leave with launch control.
    Last edited by karlz; 17 August 2020, 12:00.

Lovely motor and its certainly not short on power. I'll be following your progress.
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Thanks!

Here is an exterior video of the 315 km/h competition run. Unfortunately no data log from MaxxEcu and no footage from inside of the car.
      Main points I can remember from the run:
      1. EGT temps stayed under 1000C
      2. At the start line, IAT was already 45 and during run climbed up to 70C+
      3. Got a high coolant temp warning
      Everything else went pretty smoothly and the car wanted to go more.

Comment

impressive stuff!
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

This is amazing! will be following also . I am particular interested in the whole launch control factor, id love to launch control my s2, without worrying about breaking things.

Comment

Stronger rear driveshafts will be top of your list!
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Good stuff also hooked and will watching for updates!! Thought at the end you were running out of runway lol!!

Comment

SteveH Exactly, stronger rear driveshafts are next on my list - only after that I can finally try launching the car.

​​​Yes, I was running out of runway as I did not step on the brakes hard enough - took the last corner back to pits area like 120+km/h including a small Quattro drift

Some progress news - after getting the car tuned on regular gas (300kw from wheels) and doing very first pulls on highway for my friends, the throttle cable came loose and the throttle body swing arm fastening clip just broke off. For a temporary fix, I used zip ties and it worked well but... this is not the way to go on this car

Fortunately my friend Carl works at a company where he has access to CNC machines and was willing to help out. Here is the results:

It also includes the middle shaft. We are planning to sell them around ~100euros + shipping after testing on my Coupe goes nicely. Right now works as expected.
                Possible to get in different colors
                Last edited by karlz; 22 August 2020, 16:15.

Comment

I've broken two rear driveshafts with 400+ HP and 630NM. You will certainly need something stronger if you want to launch you motor
                  91 Modded 3B

Comment

It would be a good time to say something about the car i had built for last 10 years. Since we all like to look pictures and there arent any much to look then i will change it a bit. First batch of pictures will be about the engine build i did this spring and 3.5" turbo back exhaust what i finally chemically polished to give that aluminium exhaust look (:

Couple of different spec details where:
                    Bigger/wider shims for head arp - took them from old head studs what i cut and then redrilled the shims
                    Since the crank is in first stage(+0.25) at big end and small end bearings and made in high spec then the oil line is also redrilled bigger to give that extra safety (In high spec i mean the machining part!)
                    Big end caps are fixed with 12.9 bolts with partial thread and special shims

And now, pictures. Enjoy!

1990 2.2 20VT Audi Coupe Quattro
                    *Hx35/k26, MaxxECU, Wagner EM/IC *RS2 Recaro *4pot-Brembo *3" turboback *Treser *Koni/H&R
                    1990 Audi 200 20v Avant 2.2 20VT *7 Seater *Full electric gizmos

Comment

Haven't done much work on the Coupe after the first competition. Took it out for a "cruise" last weekend and it is still healthy and ripping as always. Such a pleasure to drive this car.

Anyway, it's soon going back to Kiku garage where we have some plans:
                      • Do a health check on the engine and replace all oils;
                      • Redo the oil catch tank and crank case ventilation;
                      • Fix some minor oil and coolant leaks;
                      • Do some preparations for extra sensors (oil pressure, 6bar MAP sensor and crank case pressure);
                      • Turn the intake cam to get the maximum out of the 7A camshafts
                      and hopefully turn it up and hit the dyno afterwards.

And now small clips from ripping it last weekend. I am still just a little afraid to flat shift it... just goes against all my reflexes driving a stick car but I am slowly getting used to it

Comment

Nice update. Keep them coming
                        91 Modded 3B

Comment

Very nice! More info on the head/block o-ring ? Thx!

ps: clever way to install the 60-2 seal
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by varia View Post
                            More info on the head/block o-ring...
                            Better cooling nothing else. Every respective machining man with the proper bench can do it.

Quite old subject to be true, sq rallyes and s1 engines even had those, dunno the year exactly but i have pictures from lehmann garage.

1990 2.2 20VT Audi Coupe Quattro
                            *Hx35/k26, MaxxECU, Wagner EM/IC *RS2 Recaro *4pot-Brembo *3" turboback *Treser *Koni/H&R
                            1990 Audi 200 20v Avant 2.2 20VT *7 Seater *Full electric gizmos

Comment

Originally posted by Kiku View Post

Better cooling nothing else. Every respective machining man with the proper bench can do it.

Quite old subject to be true, sq rallyes and s1 engines even had those, dunno the year exactly but i have pictures from lehmann garage.
                              i know that. I just wanted to to know what wire material, gauge you installed, how you installed and maybe a few pictures.
                              Thank you!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X