Audi Coupe 1990 - 800+HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varia View Post

i know that. I just wanted to to know what wire material, gauge you installed, how you installed and maybe a few pictures.
    Thank you!
    It's just for cooling. I don't see a groove for a ringed seal
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post

It's just for cooling. I don't see a groove for a ringed seal
      Makes sense now, seeing where the grooves are and the size. thx
      sigpic

Comment

Great project, but you bought the wrong toothed crank pulley
        Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
        S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
        '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

Originally posted by LHD_Kid View Post
          Great project, but you bought the wrong toothed crank pulley
          Hoped that no one will notice But in all honesty I had the parts pre-bought for a long time before meeting Kiku and before "knowing better". I already had a issue of bolts coming loose for the cam sprocket (same manufacturer). Replaced the bolts and added some loctite.

Anyway I have the need to upgrade to a fluid damper for the 2021 season so its a good opportunity to replace the toothed pulley aswell

Comment

Some progress happening for 2021 season. Got many goals for this year so the attention has been turned to safety.
            Got a boltable custom made rollcage fitted, Sparco EVO L seat and 6 point harness.
            ToDo:
            * Fire extinguishing system;
            * Main power switch;
            * Power coat the roll cage;
            * Flywheel protection;
            * Parachute.

Also R&D a new piece - 3D printed headlight replacement for turbo intake. First prototype on the pictures.

Comment

For your fire extinguisher, I recommend one made by Element. Small, light weight and last twice as long as traditional models.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...MEN-detail.htm
              Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
              2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
              2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
              1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
              1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

I'd be interested in a "headlight" when you are ready

Looking awesome.

Jase.

Comment

Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
                  For your fire extinguisher, I recommend one made by Element. Small, light weight and last twice as long as traditional models.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog...MEN-detail.htm
                  Thanks! I will look into their products.

Originally posted by Jaswan View Post
                  I'd be interested in a "headlight" when you are ready

Looking awesome.

Jase.
                  I will post an update once the final version of the headlight is ready.

Comment

Well well.. where to event start from? Long time since last post but many many developments have happened since. I will try to sum this season as best as I can:
                    • 3 drag racing events, best ET 10.64 @ 228km/h. Video for reference below.
                    • 1 top speed competition, DNF due to engine failure
                    • Two head gasket changes and one torched head
                    • One broken front diff, one broken torsen
                    • Two suspension swaps
                    • Whole suspension overhaul

So this has been a really tough learning experience.
                    Starting this year, the car has had many upgrades, for example 5bar MAP sensor, strong axels, new Fidanza flywheel and new OZ Racing wheels with Falken tyres.

Also did some work on the 3D printed turbo inlet.

We tried going to a race track to kick of the season. Found many weak points and didn't get to do a proper lap because the brakes overheated and started vibrating awfully.
                    After that I decided to overhaul the suspension and replace all the bushing with powerflex black ones, install verkline top mounts and control rods.
                    First time doing any suspension work myself and oh boy was it a learning experience.

Going into first drag racing competition I was really optimistic. It was a rush of adrenaline as I had only launched the car 1-2 times on the street and never been to a proper track with a christmas tree starting lights. Regarding that confidence was still high and I entered to "Super Street" class that has a ET limit of 10.9

Before going to the competition I needed to test out launching and get a few test hits in.
                    It turned out that the current transmissions limit was exactly 3 launches. After that, the front differential broke to pieces and we decided quickly to replace it with a 5spd 01E and leave the 6spd to storage for "better days".

Launching for the first time:

During the competition I managed to break 01E gearbox linkage part (see pic below) and also the center torsen for the gearbox. Did 3-4 competition learning runs.
                    We noticed that the car was wheel-hopping BADLY at launch - rear suspension bottomed out and for tires lost all contact/grip the the surface.
                    Coolant also didn't want to stay in the expansion tank. At first I thought it was something to do with air in the system but after the competition CO2 test revealed a head gasket problem. So this was the first time the head needed to come off after building the engine.

Overall for the first competitoon, still managed to snatch second place in my class due to some competitors bad luck.

As the cylinder head had to come off it was a good idea to replace the original AAN damper with fluidamper. It was the last weak part still waiting to be replaced.

3D printed the new plastic piece for 01E gearbox linkage (PM if interested, I have plenty). Also added one more bump stop to rear shocks that will keep the back end not sagging so much during launch.

Going into second drag competition I hoped that the upgrades help and the only goal was not to break anything... unfortunately got to make only one and a half pass and the head lifted... again.

Video from one run where I had to let off before the finish line to match the class index

It was partly our fault because we did not change the tune from last time and were still running 3.1bar of boost.
                    After the second head gasket failure it had become obvious that the turbo I am using ( PT6062 rated for 750HP ) cannot keep up with the exhaust gases the pressure is building up in the cylinders, lifting the head (with 3.1bar the car made ~850HP).
                    We lowered the boost back to 2.7-2.8bar level that seemed to work last year.

Next up was the top speed competition "One Mile Challenge" where the goal was to achieve the highest top speed on 1 mile distance.
                    This has always been my favourite competition of the year and always looking forward to it. We went in with HUGE expectation of breaking 330km/h (last years result was 315km/h) and many many upgrades were done before the competition:
                    • 01E 6spd gearbox fixed
                    • GripperLSD front differential
                    • GripperLSD rear differential
                    • BC coilovers with 16/14kg springs
                    • SImpson parachute installed
                    (Please no critics on the parachute handle. We had exactly 1hour to make it at 1am before the night of the competition )

Video of the competition run:

Going into the run I was really skeptic. We did not have time test the new suspension and there had been many changes on the car.
                    Unfortunately 1/4mile into the run when switching gears from 4->5 the engine had a bad backfire to intake, MAP raised to ~5bar, IAT to 90+ and this caused series of chaos. First and second cylinder plugs were destroyed, third stuck in and almost no compression in the first two. Competition was over and also the season... or so we thought.

As the bottom end seemed totally fine we decided to still push on this season and disassemble the bottom end for further inspection. Everything seemed to be okay.
                    Kiku came in clutch and had spare AAN cylinder head in storage for us to make it to this years last drag racing competition to still get the overall second place. Many many late nights by him in the garage and the car was running again with new head and this time supertech inconel valves. Lowered the boost further to 2.6bar and went to race!

Skip to race day and everything was going going. During first 2 qualification runs we saw right away that the 16/14kg spring were WAY TOO hard for drag racing and decided to head back to garage and change the suspension setup back to old (HR springs and Koni shocks). This seemed to work better but there was still some wheel hopping. My tuner played around with different launch control and flat shift settings in Maxxecu but unfortunately still did not get it to where we would like to.. it still for some reason backfires into the intake and MAP + IAT rises exactly the same way when we torched the head.

Testing suspension:

With all the problems aside, I we still managed to get second place in the competition and second place in the overall standings! What a year...
                    Overall it has been such a crazy year with ups and downs. Many plans are already in motion for next years upgraded but I will post about this in the next reply.

Thanks to Kiku who is the mastermind behind most of the stuff in the car.
                    Last edited by karlz; 22 September 2021, 14:21.

Comment

Best dragy slips from this season

100-200km/h

1/4 mile

0-100km/h on the street with street tyres.
                      Last edited by karlz; 22 September 2021, 11:35.

Comment

tubli töö!

Comment

As the weather is slowly turning to winter here in Estonia, there was a last test day of the season held on public highway that also had a timing system. This test day featured a 1/8mile drag strip.

I was able to make ~10 passes without any new issues appearing Unfortunately the weather was really bad and the track was moist / wet the whole day.
                          All that aside, I got my best first half track pass this season with ET 7.06 @ 172km/h that had a 60ft of 1.8s flat (all best for this season). I was using Federal semi-slick tyres.

Comment

Just can't catch a break with this car...

Last week when doing a heat cycle I discovered that the oil pressure would only come up to 3.2bar during cold start (should be 5+bar). Checked the dipstick and behold.. oil is mixed with coolant. Only guess is that the head gasket was hurt during last competition and coolant was slowly seeping trough.But wait.. there is more.

Yesterday drained the E85 and replaced with pump fuel so injectors etc. would not get contaminated during winter storage. Also replaced the engine oil for heat cycle, started the car and the oil pressure still would not come up... stayed at ~3bar. It seems there is a deeper issue and a whole engine tear down is in the plans... damn.

For the next season plans the list is quite long:
                            1. E-throttle
                            2. Bigger intercooler to keep the IATs down
                            3. Catcams camshafts for improved power band
                            4. Stronger head studs
                            5. More sensors
                            ... and some more smaller upgrades.

20211031_175658.jpg

20211017_182527.jpg51430824326_a248a8b097_o.jpg51431565074_28bc477370_o.jpg

Comment

Was this on stock head bolts with full boost?

Comment

Originally posted by mac2226 View Post
                                Was this on stock head bolts with full boost?
                                ARP studs, stock head bolts would not stand a chance
                                Looking to upgrade to these: https://www.lspeed-racing.de/product...block-m11.html

Comment

Working...
                                X