3B rebuild - nearly there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve - that picture looks very familiar

Are you using a crap oil to bed it in - not any of the fully synthetic stuff?

Would a compression test tell you how well the rings are bedding in? See if you notice a difference after a few more hundred miles - I have been told to do 1000miles under 3000rpm to bed the rings in - but what do I know - I'm only going on what people tell me.
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Doug,

I'm using EL Cheapo Castrol GTX to run the motor in. £9.99 for 5 ltrs

Must be the cheapest item I've ever purchased for the S2
      91 Modded 3B
      14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Car is finally running without any oil burning and the clutch slipping problem has been sorted

The oil smoke at idle was due to a damaged valve stem oil seal. I'm not sure if it was a fault on my part or a manufacturing fault with the seal Anyway, it caused me to remove the head to investigate. Bores look fine without any signs of glazing, so I'm happy with the bedding in process. Compression test confirms this with 12.5 Bar on all cylinders
        My slipping clutch was due to a problem with the master > slave piping. I must have bent the flexible section too far when swapping the gearboxes over. This meant the engine had to come out again after being in the car for only 400 miles I think I must have seen every nut and bolt on the car in the past few months! I replaced the clutch piping with a section of Goodridge 600 hose. This has totally transformed the clutch peddle feel and cost less than the OE hose.
        Car feels great with a new set of Goodyear F1s and freshly skimmed disks. All I want to do now is put another few hundred miles on it, so I can dump the crap oil that I'm using. Then it's WOT and big grins along the way.
        Attached Files
        91 Modded 3B

Comment

Finished at last!
          Attached Files
          91 Modded 3B

Comment

Well ****** me sideways. After all this time its now ready for the open road. AGAIN. Hopefully for longer than a week. Looks very neat and tidy mate. Fancy popping down the A37 to my place and diong mine? LOL

Hopefully I will see you and the car soon. Not the carlton this time, it looks bad outside the workshop!
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
            X