No announcement yet.

My 95 S2 Avant Project. LZ5T Coolness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good point indeed. Doesn't the fabric stretch that amount needed to open the sunroof?

Comment

• I dont think so, if audi designed the sunroof to not used foam backed material, then as Greg says, problems occur due to interference. I dont think I could stretch the foam backed stuff to be thin enough to let the sunroof operate smoothly. If the supplier doesnt have suitable material, I have black faux alacantara that looks ok along side the headliner. I have to get different adhesive for it though as I tried to do a sample bit today with a pillar trim and the 3M 90 goes straight though my faux alacantara.
      Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

• That headliner looks brilliant Eric
        Have you got a link to the material? I noticed mine is looking a little loose in places so I guess it won't be long before it starts to sag
        I was thinking about Alcantara type material but I believe it is hard to work with and doesn't conform to compound curves etc very easily, so thinking about it is as far as I got
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• I've done quite a lot of headliners with foam backed fabric and no problems with sunroof
          Alcantara type material is way harder to get it around corners and it fades its color in direct sunlight.

Comment

• Alex it was this stuff : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161326500789 , it can stretch in both directions so its easier for those curves by the sunvisors and sunroof controls.

Best to order it in a roll, I didn't, it saved me on shipping but I had to iron it before use.

mdz, what would be the best type of material for the pillars?
            Eric

Comment

• Originally posted by irishs2 View Post

mdz, what would be the best type of material for the pillars?
              Your own preference. I went for black ultrasuede (I guess this is how alcantara imitation is called). It looks great, just like real Alcantara, but needs to be retrim or repainted once in a year, because it fades and turns gray or violet depending on amount of direct sunlight it gets. Black headliner fabric will not fade, but that ultrasuede is very cheap here, so I'm just retrimming pillars and doorcards once in a while.to make them look good
              Real Alcantara leather fades too, way more slower, but much more expensive too.

Comment

• You are doing a really great job on the car, and the headliner looks brillant!

Comment

• Thanks , hope your hand gets better soon

As I am kinda working on the interior at the moment, I decided to rebuild my diff lock switch. As per usual the blubs were blown.
                  My PCB was in very bad condition, so I bought another diff lock switch, unfortunately it was in worse condition.
                  When removing the bad bulbs the copper was beginning to lift from the board and overall I hated the 70s style etch pcb in my modern car

Time to make a new one.

An accurate scan was made, I dont know how much longer that pcb would last and the corrosion really annoyed me.

Design a new one. I really like Kicad.

I test printed it on paper before getting the pcb made.

The holes line up.

One rebuilt diff lock switch, with new bulbs and pcb.

As with other things I got a little carried away.

My next pcb project.

Here is a hint at what I am planning.
                  Last edited by irishs2; 7 July 2017, 15:47.
                  Eric

Comment

• Now that's what I call dedication to the cause. Nice work.

Comment

• Bloody fantastic

Comment

• I think with clever people like you around all of us who own these cars and come across problems such as you have highlighted gives me great confidence that the scene is in rude health for the future. I doff my hat mate Great work and an inspiration to all of us
                        96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                        96 URS6 plus speck estate
                        94 2.6 80 Avant
                        99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• Nice - that will look much better with LEDs

I am guessing that you work in electronics Eric or is it just a hobby?
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Thanks guys, yea I work in IT. Self employed but sysadmin for several companies blah blah . But I was always into electronics and formally educated in electronic engineering. It has helped me get out of a few jams.

Yea I will be using addressable RGB leds , 11 on that prototype and will be using gala/ speed signal as an input . Eventually I want to read the abs from each wheel and it will tell me which wheel is slipping or where the power is going ... useless thing but it a gadget. I was always disappointed on how static the diff diagram is
                            Eric

Comment

• I don't care what it does but I want one!!!

can swap a half eaten packet of Oreo's

Comment

• Leaving the oreo thing aside....i would like one but mine doesn't have one (URS6 )
                                96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                                96 URS6 plus speck estate
                                94 2.6 80 Avant
                                99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Working...
                                X