Project '96 Refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project '96 Refurb

As you guessed...i struggled for a project name!!

anyway, this will be a thread of everything i do with my car, from body work, structural to performance

First thing...
    I went to the car on sunday and there were some fluids underneath...

Number 1 fluid...power steering - wettest part is the top hose in the engine bay, my number 1 suspect!

Number 2 fluid...COOLANT!! Looks clean though. its coming down from the right of the block from about half way up (when looking from the front) but its hard to tell...so i think it may be the block/coolant system interface (had this on my 80!) unless you can advise other wise. Coolant in the resevoir looks clean too and oil is clean.

Once these are done ill start fettling...

Next thing im going to do is drop the rear subframe out along with the running gear and suspension, service, clean and paint. Hopefully around xmas time. Then on to the front but probably without dropping the subframe, it still looks tidy!

Then engine bay, a good clean, some silicon hoses and a good check over. no power mods quite yet...

Then i intend on getting the bonnet, front wings (probably new ones) front bumper and rear bumper re-sprayed. Currently toying with the idea of RS2 bumpers.

Ill get some pics of what im going to work on soon so you can see before and after (and to please myself!)

Update soon...

Will
    Last edited by willg54; 30 December 2010, 16:46.
    1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Always good to see projects and their progress. Keep the reports and pics coming though.
    Good luck with it
    Cheers
    Chris
    Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
    20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Nice little project Will
      coolant leak is probably the small bore hose between the stat housing and the hard pipe to the rear of the block and heater matrix.

PAS fluid is filth, clean it off now while its fresh as once it gets dusty and baked on its a nightmare to get off!
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Steering gator has broken....definition of annoying!!! i love my car

Comment

All of the bushes I hopefully need have arrived at quattro corner, (thanks Pete!) So work can officially begin! In the process of moving house which is putting a **** delay on it....but first thing in was the s2 and straight onto axle stands!

Also, as soon as its rolling again its going for either a 2.5 or 3 inch decat exhaust!

Comment

picked up the parts today! woooo!! itching to rip the spanners out now! Thanks again Pete!!

Been looking at a few options for further work! two things i need advice on....

1) Exhaust - Do i go 2.5" or 3"? will be putting in de-cat pipes too. Will be putting a wideband lambda in the down pipe too.

2) I've heard upgrading the rear arb is worth while, any suggestions? RS2 or whileline?

Sorry for the lack of picture, i havent been home for a while!

Will

Comment

2.5 is not worth it you want at least 2.75 or bigger.

rs2 front arb whiteline rear arb

Comment

project 'plug it' considering the leaks good luck, its cold out there!
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Worth getting a 3inch down pipe too?

The garage i have it in is nice and warm!! paid a visit a few days ago and couldnt even see my breath! Was -8degC outside with 9inches of snow! i like the new house!

Comment

3" dp is considered the only next step after stock, it'll leave you with room to move in terms of power, always a good thing
                    Shane

Comment

What's the best route for a 3inch dp? 034motorsport pipe any good or get a custom jobby?

Comment

They're the kind of thing that don't come up for sale often other than through group buys. There was one GB recently, worth taking a look at the photos. The 034 is not a perfect fit for the s2 as I understand it.
                        Shane

Comment

034 one needs modding, may as well get one custom made IIRC Pro-speed made a jig when they did Rusty's, be worth a shout... or make your own
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

whiteline rear anti roll bar ordered!

Comment

Anybody know how much POR15 is needed for average rear end overhaul?? any bad reasons for just using powder coating?

Comment

Working...
                              X