Project '96 Refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Strip the head or not?!

I've been mulling the idea of stripping the head down...should i or not?

I dont think there is any problems with the head gasket/valve stem seals right now, but i cant see any history of it being changed. Im thinking that while the engine is out, it would be a nice easy job...and atleast i know it'll be right.

whats your thoughts?

Only downside is it would eat my budget up and postpone the project a fair bit...
    1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

• unless you need to i would leave it dude... IMHO no point needlessly stripping it and rebuilding unless you are going the whole hog so to speak with new guides, VSOS, exhaust valves, posh seat cut, skim etc etc, the list goes on, you've spent over a grand in no time...
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• my plan is for a 2nd engine to 'tinker' with in 2012...so i think i'll put this one in and hope it hold outs

oil and water was clean anyway so i dont think there's any looming problems.

Comment

• Picked up many seals and gaskets from Pete at Quattro Corner this morning, so thanks Pete!!

Also have solid subframe bushes from Kev (Bambridge) so big thanks to you too!

I love my car...but my bank hates my car!

Comment

• Small update for the evening!

New seals, cleaned and paint gets you this lovely looking rack

Some of the engine, nearly there with all the cleaning and painting...

also, fuel lines are starting to go in...here's a sneak peak!

Comment

• mmm, more shiny stuff..... your stat housing is on upside down dude
              I think you need to bead blast your wastegate and manifold now they look too dirty
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                mmm, more shiny stuff..... your stat housing is on upside down dude
                I think you need to bead blast your wastegate and manifold now they look too dirty
                haha i know, just stuck it on for now, need a new thermostat!

Well...the camcover and IM is going for polishing...so it would be tempting! but in the next year i want to be doing some big upgrades so would be a bit of a waste!

ALSO!! that is the best of the 2 exhaust manifolds i have. The original had a fairly decent crack in it. it wasnt leaking but didnt look nice. This was a spare I had aquired but also has a small crack in but much less than the other. so that'll do for now!

Comment

• I had missed this thread, and have just been scanning through. Nice Project Will.
                  I love a good S2 refurb. I could just do with some more time for my own.
                  SS

Comment

• Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
                    I had missed this thread, and have just been scanning through. Nice Project Will.
                    I love a good S2 refurb. I could just do with some more time for my own.
                    Stop messing about in hairdressers cars and get on with it then
                    sigpic
                    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Now. Now. No thread hijacking.
                      SS

Comment

• OK, I'm off to find YOUR thread
                        sigpic
                        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Bit of an update!

Here's the finished steering rack, off to pressure test next week hopefully

and heres the nicely painted, newly sealed diff

Comment

• Looking good Will.

Do you want a poweflex rear mount for that diff? I got one sitting on the shelf
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by willg54 View Post
                              haha i know, just stuck it on for now, need a new thermostat!

Well...the camcover and IM is going for polishing...so it would be tempting! but in the next year i want to be doing some big upgrades so would be a bit of a waste!

ALSO!! that is the best of the 2 exhaust manifolds i have. The original had a fairly decent crack in it. it wasnt leaking but didnt look nice. This was a spare I had aquired but also has a small crack in but much less than the other. so that'll do for now!
                              How much does this cost ti get done the polishing i mean..

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                                Looking good Will.

Do you want a poweflex rear mount for that diff? I got one sitting on the shelf
                                I could be interested. I have oem to go in, what are the advantages with powerflex?

Not sure in the cost of polishing, shouldn't be too bad. I'll let you know when I do!

Comment

Working...
                                X