Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haha, i'll do it on a car im not too fussed about
    1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

• When welding the subframe and wishbones, do you go all the way round with a continuous weld or do sections of a couple inches long with gaps in between?

Comment

• I was going for sections with inch gaps. If you do a continuous weld, you will more then likely get too much heat into the wishbone and distort it.

Comment

• Will I'd appreciate a few pics of the welded wishbones and subframes please when you get to them? Glad to see you're not seam welding the whole lot, that'd surely end up in a fracture of some sort.
          Shane

Comment

• Originally posted by willg54 View Post
            I was going for sections with inch gaps. If you do a continuous weld, you will more then likely get too much heat into the wishbone and distort it.
            I was thinking this.

s2_wot Will I'd appreciate a few pics of the welded wishbones and subframes please when you get to them? Glad to see you're not seam welding the whole lot, that'd surely end up in a fracture of some sort.
            I too would like some pics, thinkin of doing this before i put my engine in. Was gona do subframe bushes anyway. Also have some strut brace tops to weld into place so would be rude not too really.

Comment

• Pictures are a must!

I don't think seam welding it all would lead to fractures. But its unnecessary as short interval welds will do just a good job

Comment

Pictures are a must!

I don't think seam welding it all would lead to fractures. But its unnecessary as short interval welds will do just a good job
                And saving small amounts of weight too

Comment

• More pics!

Been working on the engine a bit now i have my lovely stand!
                  i know some pics are a repeated in another pic, but i like it all in one place!

Plans are just to just clean up, paint the block etc, 7A exhaust cam, new followers, clean sump, renew some wiring but thats about it. I've decided against going on an all out attack on the engine for now, i should probably put my money into getting it rolling first!

Comment

Pictures are a must!

This is what I did when I refurb'd my rear arms

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...4&postcount=32

Like you said, if you fully weld them you'll put too much heat into them and risk distortion.
                    sigpic
                    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                      This is what I did when I refurb'd my rear arms

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...4&postcount=32

Like you said, if you fully weld them you'll put too much heat into them and risk distortion.

I was going through your project a few days ago and saw them. they look good! Was what i was thinking of doing. have you noticed any benefit?

Comment

• I've been cleaning...my parents think im going

Spent a fair few hours on the head, its getting very shiny! I used some muc-off initially to get rid of grease and dirt and moved on to alloy wheel cleaning stuff to remove (most of) the real hard dirt. Its coming on well. few more applications and i'll be happy!

Degreasing the block and sump took some work. More muc-off and plenty of brake cleaner...was getting high

for a few hours work, it's looking much better! Im getting some small brass demel brushes to work the block down and remove all the rust and rough looking paint. And then paint the block in some black high temp enamel paint and the sump in some silver ht enamel paint. Will look like new

There's alot of cleaning and painting to go before im anywhere near satisfied!

as you all like them..here's pics of tonights work!

Before...

After...(first clean...)

BEFORE

AFTER

Comment

• nice. I hate baked on grease
                          are you going to clean out the sump?
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            nice. I hate baked on grease
                            are you going to clean out the sump?

Nah i thought i'd leave it all greasy...

That bit you can see in the pic has been cleaned with brake cleaner and scrubbed a few times. The other side is black!! didnt photo that lol

I'll clean it up properly once its off the engine and paint it up. Will be like new!

Comment

Nah i thought i'd leave it all greasy...

Marine Clean is your friend
                              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• I've been looking at that stuff for a while. Tempted to try it. But currently, i've just been using what i have in the garage already! ill see how happy i am at the end

Comment

Working...
                                X