80q => RS2 Saloon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80Quattro View Post
    and it would cost a lot more money to make an ABY engine make the same power.
    No, just no.
    You will spend more in maintenance on the 2.7TT than you will spend to make the 2.2T produce 600+ hp.
    http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
      http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31920

If your doing it ditch the old style rears, long term it makes sense
      I understand what you are saying but the rear calipers alone cost about £200 and the brackets a further £150, that is just too much to spend for what it achieves. I am aware of the problems with these calipers but surely I can expect them to last a good few years after a referb before I see any problems.

Originally posted by prj View Post
      No, just no.
      You will spend more in maintenance on the 2.7TT than you will spend to make the 2.2T produce 600+ hp.
      I know the 2.7TT has problems with the turbos failing at around 70k miles and the camshaft lobes wearing but what else? The price of performance parts for the 2.2T are incredibly expensive and that added to the cost of buying the engine, ECU and loom must make it a really expensive option. The other thing I have noticed is that there are a massive number of subtle differences in the engine bay between the V6 and RS2, it would be a lot of things to change.
      92 Audi 80 Quattro => RS2 Saloon!
      98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
      63 Austin Mini Super Deluxe (turbocharged)
      69 Austin Mini Cooper
      71 MGB GT
      75 Daimler Vanden Plas 4.2L
      04 Kawasaki GPX250
      96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

The other thing I have noticed is that there are a massive number of subtle differences in the engine bay between the V6 and RS2, it would be a lot of things to change.
        I've not paid to much attention to this or done any research on the subject, but surely the fact that the ABY engine came in that car (B4) means that you'll find standard OEM second hand parts that will fit and you'll find the installation a lot friendlier than trying to jam an engine in that isn't standard to that car......and wouldn't you get an ABY cheaper than a 2.7T as well...?

Saying all that I'm up for seeing something different and it's a personal choice, thats why we all modify our cars after all..........
        Audi A4 (B7) 2.0 Tdi (140PS)
        Audi 80 (Typ 89) Quattro 16v
        2 x Audi URS4 2.2 20v Turbo
        Audi 100 (C3) Quattro 2.2 10v Turbo
        Audi 100 (C3) 2.2 10v Turbo (Auto)
        Audi 200 (C3) 2.1 10v Turbo - Scrapped
        2 x Audi 80 (Typ 89) Quattro 1.8 8v - Scrapped

Comment

Originally posted by lcsmith View Post
          you get an ABY cheaper than a 2.7T as well...?
          You can get a s4 for around 1-1.5k from ebay currently going by some that have been on there so you'd get your money back easily.

Another option is speak with acidburn, he's thinking of selling his setup thats already done and just needs bolting in.

Comment

a Dutch guy has a 2.7 BiT engine in his coupe for quite a few years now and there is a lot of work involved. He even needed to narrow the chassis legs (if that's what they're called) to make it fit.

Comment

I know the 2.7TT has problems with the turbos failing at around 70k miles
              Only on K03's. K04's don't fail at 70k miles.
              and the camshaft lobes wearing but what else?
              Chain tensioners, chains, endless oil leaks, incredibly hard to work on, shall I go on?
              I have a RS4 btw...
              The price of performance parts for the 2.2T are incredibly expensive and that added to the cost of buying the engine, ECU and loom must make it a really expensive option.
              Who told you that? Rods - 400 EUR for a set, stock pistons are good for over 700hp.
              Exhaust manifold is from 300 EUR for a RS2 replica to 800 EUR.

You literally take one of these engines _bone stock_. Fit a bigger turbo, bigger injectors, exhaust manifold, fuel pump, do the rods, fit a thick gasket, and you can make 600hp with a GT35R. Yea, you can map that on stock ECU btw...
              Of course head porting and supporting mods etc will increase drivability, but it's incredibly easy to make power.

I spent more than 2 grand on belt change and camshaft tensioners in parts on RS4 _maintenance_. For that money I could have rebuilt my S6 AAN engine four times.
              Upgrading the turbos on a RS4? Let's not even go there. But budget upwards of 3 grand for a turbo kit and plumbing alone.
              Oh and let's not talk about the electronics. Fancy a pair of EGT sensors for 300+ quid?
              Or how do you like them four lambda sensors?

You are making loads of claims, that make me really scratch my head and wonder if we live on the same planet...
              There is NO WAY anything about 2.7TT is cheap or cheaper. It's a complex motor, which is HORRIBLE to work on with ABYSMAL running costs. Yes, it's absolutely awesome when everything works, and that's why I own my RS4.
              But pretending it is in any way cheaper at anything than a 2.2T is lunacy.

Comment

i have just done the conversion from 80q b4 2.8 v6 to ABY and running about 390hp and that's with stock rods, everything you need is in an s2 engine bay all you have to do is unbolt the original engine mounts and weld on the new engine mounts

Comment

Originally posted by bigcooler View Post
                  i have just done the conversion from 80q b4 2.8 v6 to ABY and running about 390hp and that's with stock rods, everything you need is in an s2 engine bay all you have to do is unbolt the original engine mounts and weld on the new engine mounts
                  That's what I was trying to say.......sounds good, have you got a project / build thread to see whats involved?
                  Audi A4 (B7) 2.0 Tdi (140PS)
                  Audi 80 (Typ 89) Quattro 16v
                  2 x Audi URS4 2.2 20v Turbo
                  Audi 100 (C3) Quattro 2.2 10v Turbo
                  Audi 100 (C3) 2.2 10v Turbo (Auto)
                  Audi 200 (C3) 2.1 10v Turbo - Scrapped
                  2 x Audi 80 (Typ 89) Quattro 1.8 8v - Scrapped

Comment

Originally posted by lcsmith View Post
                    That's what I was trying to say.......sounds good, have you got a project / build thread to see whats involved?
                    no sorry i didn't do one as i thought it was going to take me my life time to do (still haven't finished ) also i had some help from hoffer

Comment

Originally posted by bigcooler View Post
                      no sorry i didn't do one as i thought it was going to take me my life time to do (still haven't finished ) also i had some help from hoffer
                      how you finding the power with the v6 box/diff? or you thinking of changing to s2 stuff to match?

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                        how you finding the power with the v6 box/diff? or you thinking of changing to s2 stuff to match?
                        hey pete yeah the power is great but the gearing i find is too low , top end probably 135/140mph so i have an s2 avant rear diff on its way to go with the gear box out of the 90q

Comment

your probably find the 10v box you've got won't be much improved over that, a 20v box would go a long way to helping with ratios. If you can wait a few weeks I will have one you can have if you can collect.

* sorry to the original poster for clogging up your thread.

Comment

Prj, why have you switched from S6 2.2T to RS4?

Comment

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                              your probably find the 10v box you've got won't be much improved over that, a 20v box would go a long way to helping with ratios. If you can wait a few weeks I will have one you can have if you can collect.

* sorry to the original poster for clogging up your thread.
                              yeah sorry guys :hide

whats the difference between the gearing in 10v and 20v?

Comment

Originally posted by Matas View Post
                                Prj, why have you switched from S6 2.2T to RS4?
                                That is really off topic, but...
                                The answer is - because I could, and it's a much better car.
                                Albeit with a price tag.

Comment

Working...
                                X