No announcement yet.

Refurbing Audi RS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks chaps! I arrived in China last night, the ceremony is on Friday and wedding photos are tomorrow regardless of how crippled I am by jetlag. Ish says he might need the car for more than the three weeks I'm away as he had an insurance job, which are his bread and butter, come in. I really hope he doesn't end up having it for three months like four rings!

Comment

• However long Ish has it for, it will be worth it. He is doing you a favour by taking it in
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Three weeks is too optimistic tbh. The best laid plans of mice and men and all that...........

Reset your timeframe, and then you won't be upset by any 'delay'.

Kind regards.

Comment

• I appreciate he'll do the best job and I'm a manager for a living so am well aware of expectations. It's just that we use the car as primary transport at the moment and I get complaints from my other half when it's raining and we need to go shopping! It's not my expectations that need management...

Comment

• Update time:
            Looks like JJA Coachworks were right about the chassis after all. Ish says the top drivers side chassis leg needs replacing as there's a lot of filler in there. The airbox is held together with gaffer tape. Headlights have lost their top tabs so need replacing. However, he's made good progress on other things:

Sorted or on the way to being sorted:
            Rear wiper - it just needed cleaning.
            Drivers seat frame welded back into place.
            Central locking needs new pump and brackets
            Breather system is being replaced (gear box bolts were loose as well)
            Interior trim and steering wheel shelf have been replaced
            Pedal rubber replaced

Still to do:
            Chassis straightening and panel alignment
            Front drivers side inner wing needs replacing
            Turbo test
            A/C pump + belt replacement
            Fit IC ducting (metal and plastic parts)
            Fit brake ducts
            Fit undertray

Comment

• Had another chat with Ish last night. He has pulled the trigger on an 80 coupe for spares and will take the inner wing and chassis rails from that for the RS2. He says almost all the other small stuff has been done.

I'm going to take this opportunity to express how grateful I am to Ish for his support. The man is a legend. His ability to remember so much detail and his knowledge about RS2's is frankly awesome. His communication has been outstanding, he's been very resourceful with parts and its felt like the car has been in good hands every step of the way.

Thanks to the guys on here who recommended QC. You were right, I should have done it sooner.

Comment

• Central locking pump. Your pump will be a 257H without infrared or 257J with infrared.

To help source a used one, go to this link and then click on the (i) beside the part number. When the list comes up, click on the model name to get the years and location (USA (not helpful) or RDW (rest of the world) useful)

http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+80+...862-862000/#18
                RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

• Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                  Central locking pump. Your pump will be a 257H without infrared or 257J with infrared.

To help source a used one, go to this link and then click on the (i) beside the part number. When the list comes up, click on the model name to get the years and location (USA (not helpful) or RDW (rest of the world) useful)

http://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+80+...862-862000/#18
                  It's been fixed already, but thanks.

Comment

• OK so I'm back off to China tomorrow for a few years to set up a business with my wife. Ish isn't able to work on the car until mid January which means it's going to stay with a friend while the work continues in my absence. Ish is going to supply a parts list eventually (still waiting after a month) and it'll provide the basis for ongoing work.

Comment

• Update - the car has been taken on by a friend in Yorkshire as some of you will already be aware from his separate thread.

The MOT was due so we had that and a few things taken care of at Automark and Mark also did a great job of sorting out some irksome niggles that had been overlooked far. For example, replacing a bent lambda sensor so the engine idled smoothly. The brakes were all completely overhauled - something that had been done by previous mechanics but now the car is squeal free and the handbrake works as it should (rather than barely holding the car). The fuel lines were replaced with silicone alternatives. Diverter valve was replaced as I'd lost reliable boost on the journey up to York. A new OEM RS2 airbox and MAF were installed (we were very lucky to find them!) All in all, a bill for a couple of grand.

We've also amassed a significant cache of parts including headlights, front wheel arch liners and have a few more to get such as a new IC and cross member, a new front radiator and hose kit. Once those parts are collected, the car will be going back down to Ish for the replacement chassis leg to be installed along with a stainless performance exhaust. Apparently the clutch is slipping a little so new plates will need to go in, too. This is surprising given the previous owner had the clutch replaced immediately before I took possession of the car...and its not like I've been thrashing the old girl either.

We do have a few parts to sell on - two spare MAFs (one without the grille) and a pair of headlamps. Post on the S2 forum FB page is here:
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/2422...3617493592039/

Drop Chris a line if you know someone who is interested.

Ish has suggested that if I want any performance mods, cheaper to do them while the engine is out. So we may be looking at installing ball bearing conversion to the turbo and a remap to somewhere around 380-390bhp. But resources are a little strained after Automark so may have to review the timing a little depending on whether the parts are sold.
                      Last edited by ColonialNomad; 31 March 2016, 08:24.

Comment

• The car needs a new A/C pump and heat exchanger too plus lines checking for blockages and a few electrical things still to sort like rear washer stalk switch and pump, a new alarm/immobiliser and installing ICE including pioneer head, focal coaxials and kenwood seat sub.

Then after all the niggles are ironed out and the car is in a relatively reliable state, there are plans for the usual performance tweaks including:

KW V3 coilovers and H&R springs with ride height lowered by 30mm
                        Adjustable Whiteline anti roll bars front and back
                        18" Veloce Speedline RS alloys and Bridgestone tyres
                        and maybe a Wavetrac rear diff.

Also need to bring the rear of the car into better alignment - will let Mark take a view on the feasibility. Otherwise we may well be looking at some more major chassis work.
                        Last edited by ColonialNomad; 31 March 2016, 08:40.

Comment

Working...
                        X