No announcement yet.

Project 84 Days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool never knew the 20V had a 3 in 1 downpipe like the type 85 NA quattro's.

Comment

3 in 1 downpipe on later 20v cars with cast (as in crappy) manifold, earlier cars had the bag of snakes manifold, just swaped my cast manifold and downpipe for a bag of snakes, the original manifold was cracked in several places similar to the same issue with 10v UR quattro manifold. Sold the 3 in 1 downpipe on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by mike74 View Post
        Looks like a fun project you've got there, good luck with it!
        That exhaust looks, errr, special to say the least...are you planning on keeping it? Would probably look fine if you pimped out the hangers in chrome effect wire
        yeah, no plans on keeping that exhaust. I have a stock setup that i'll put on for the time being. Not sure what the previous owner was thinking

Comment

Alright, got some more work done.

Pulled out the dash and all interior from the car:

While the heatercore has been replaced, the heater box wasn't very well taken care of...

So that had to come out:

worse on the inside:

Pulled the full 7a harness out uncut:

Put the new harness in as well:

Pulled a black carpet out of another car and that will be going in soon.

Comment

69 days left.

Comment

Keep at it....nice project with a deadline!
              91 Modded 3B
              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Stripped the coupe. Removed all the nasty pad that was full of nastiness and mold. Scrubbed the bare floors with some dawn and water.

Finally stripped down enough that i can start rebuilding.

Donor carpet plus carpet shampooer:

Results, years worth of coffee.

Since the car already was wired for amps and such, i figured at least id clean up the wiring and run it properly:

Removed this:

Put this in its place:

Put in some carpet:

removed all the grey rear seats and such. Put in the black stuff. Cleaned it all. Conditioned all the leather. Installed 2 piece componet speakers with crossovers. Painted trim black. And installed the rear door cards with screws... Previously they had no hardware holding them in place...

Not a bad days work. Also boxed up cams and injectors that finally sold!

Comment

Alright another few hours of work checked off.

I have a really hard time putting the car back together with the engine bay coated like this:

Bit better:

Better:

I had to take apart the stock engine, sold some parts off it and needed other parts for the engine going in:

Pretty new Southbend Clutch

Love seeing a nice factory cross-hatch:

Mounted:

Half of it in:

64 Days left...

Comment

I kinda got a lot done, but kinda didn't. I spent most of my alotted car time pulling a dash from another car and reinstalling a new one. It is another local Coupe Quattro to S2 project, And we were able to get it to run for the first time today (I've been helping with some of the wiring and misc work)

On my car, I got the bottom-end buttoned up, installed right and finished up. I finished all of the wiring as well, the stock harness for this engine has a power cable from the battery that hooks into the fuse panel. on the S2s the battery box is located under the rear seat so it is part of the chassis harness, not the engine harness. I had to kind of butcher a harness i had in my possession to get a proper cable.

Ran that cable and finished up all the wiring from under the dash. Feels good to have the wiring aspect wrapped up.

Got some more parts to wrap this project up, 3b style manifold. The color isn't quite for me:

Primer:

Acutal color:

did the wastegate cap while I was at it:

Its a simple color, nothing fancy.

Reinstalled the heatercore and rebuilt heater box:

Wish I could have got more done, but there was a lot of prep done.

Here is some of the parts i still need to install:

Short list of whats on the table:
                    AAN Head
                    Valves for that head
                    Fuel Rail
                    Fuel Injectors
                    FPR
                    Exhaust Manifold, Turbo, and half a downpipe
                    MAF
                    Intake manifold
                    New control arms with Derlin Bushings
                    Oil Cooler and lines
                    New RS2 Headlamp Glass
                    3 Spoke Steering wheel
                    Forge Spliter valve
                    ABY Air Box
                    ABY Intercooler and crossmember
                    Box full of all new stuff, Full top end gasket set, all new ball joints, new trans mounts, already installed new motor mounts, strut mounts, Head bolts, and much more.

56 days left.

Comment

Alright, small update since I only have 43 Days left! I've been out of town a bunch for work, and that hasn't helped my progress...

sort of fitted the dash, I've since 'really' fitted it.

I've had some goodies arrive too!

JHM Short Shifter, billet beauty:

Apikol RS2 Brake Brackets:

Couple sets of Porsche 996 Calipers to choose from:

New stereo deck, got one with 3 pairs of RCA outs

Now on to work i actually did:
                      I removed the remaining downpipe, had to cut it off with one of the 3 power tools i own (drill, electric impact, and 4" angle grinder). I got it off, but inbetween bolts that i was cutting i moved my arm and set it down on a washer that had just been cut off, didn't realize it till my full weight was on it and i got a nice second degree burn with a nice blister:

I replaced trans mounts, these probably had some more miles on them but you know, 'while i'm in there':

Next to the new one

Short shifter installed:

part of the black interior conversion, have to move my bits to the new center console:

Here it is assembled, I chose not to move the ashtray and leave a nice place to toss my cell phone.

Here is my refurbed headlight, partly blacked out, ill show the before to remind you all what it looked like:

I had to black out that part because after the lens broke, the previous owner super glued clear plastic to that trim part to protect the headlight, removing that plastic ruined the finish of this piece, so i just painted it black

I'm happy with how that turned out.

Cleaned this too, kinda sad but this is one of my favorite details of older Audis.

Last edited by Ruffiano; 3 September 2015, 15:55.

Comment

i have to order a set of ellipsoid lenses as well, though the guy won't combine shipping apparently at 35$ per lens. I can't see photos at work so i'm subscribing and checking it out when i get home.
                        2011 black VW Touareg TDI - Daily/hauler
                        1991 black CQ- rally poser
                        1990 titan CQ- rombotis brunhilde racecor
                        1986 black Yamaha Fazer FZX - cafe bike project

Comment

Great progress
                          Once the interior is back in you really feel like you've turned a corner. Nice choice of colours for the engine parts - OEM+

Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            Great progress
                            Once the interior is back in you really feel like you've turned a corner. Nice choice of colours for the engine parts - OEM+

Yeah. Having this in makes it feel like a car again:

Comment

Looks good Dave.

I suppose burning car parts into your skin is a variation on car tattoos.
                              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                                Looks good Dave.

I suppose burning car parts into your skin is a variation on car tattoos.

yeah it hurts like a bitch too! today it has been peeling and oozing... i'm curious to see if it scars.

Comment

Working...
                                X