No announcement yet.

Project 84 Days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too bad you didn't set your arm down on hot Audi rings instead. Talk a bout a cool scar.

Kidding aside, sorry to see that. Hope it gets better soon.

Love the progress. It's nice to see a project moving along at a brisk pace.

Comment

My arm is healing, looks like i'll have a cool circle scar.

Had Nate machine some hubs for me, Thanks NATE!

Parts keep rolling in... It's hard for me to NOT do certain things while rebuilding this car. I'd love to have just done the simple engine swap, but this car needed a lot of stuff, lots of deferred maintenance going on. SO if you're going to do it... might as well do it right:

Got jealous of Chris' Catch can... had to get one myself:

Had to get batteries for my caliper and shims as well;

Pressed in the first one to do some test fitting:

Now for some rears, cleaned it up and gave it a lick of paint after this:

Here are most of them:

New vs Old Ball joints

Here are the old rears...

Now, truth be told I dont really care for adapters, but i understand them in some cases. in my case however they are extremely tricky. 1- they are 2 peice and obviously push the wheel WAY OUT. I have a bit of a wheel problem and have several spare sets of wheels floating around, HOWEVER with these adapters, none of my wheels fit, even the ones that i had to use a spacer on to run... 2- the brake rotors were all worn horribly and needed to be replaced, which requires removal of these adapters, the bolts to remove them are seized... 3- A rear wheel bearing was shot and would have had to have them removed anyway for that work. My motto of course is to make things right, this didn't feel right to me, so I changed it all to make it 'right' in my head.

"Corrected:"

And now the wheels i wanted to run fit INSIDE of the fenders... weird concept I know: (17x8.5 BBS CH 003)

And Chris hooked me up with a great looking CQ Seat in black leather:

On a final note. after spending way to much time installing new valves and such on the head i had. (Honestly hell for me would be manually removing and reinstalling valve retainers all day) I talked to Nate and he convinced me to send it to a shop. Should have it back tomorrow, hot tanked, skimmed, new valves and valve seals all installed and ready for action. It was pretty cheap and well worth the peace of mind i get from having it done.

32 Days left...

Comment

Tremendous. Hope the burn heals up.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
        94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Got the head back tuesday night, put in 2 or so hours last night assembling the head:

cleaned up the turbo too:

Before:

After:

28 days left.... Ideally I would like to 'Finish' by the first of October to give me self two weeks of daily driving it to iron out any problems that might exist.

Comment

trying to wrap up suspension bits so I can finish the engine part of it.

Finished the final knuckle. Had to go grab this from a friends house, I swear everytime I want to get work done, there are several steps i need to take first. To get this knuckle I had to go to Josh's house and take the WHOLE subframe with upright, brake, rotors, and a wheel 'seized' to it all... So i went and grabbed it all and got the wheel free and continued to strip it all the way down to this:

pressed in a new bearing and the new machined URS4 hub:

It is hard not to spend 10-15 minutes on cleaning when this car has been so unloved for such a long time:

while it doesnt look like much in this picture, notice there is a screw upright next to the pile. it is literally 2" high of stuff i scrapped away:

Lots of new brake lines that will also make their way onto the car:

also removed steering arms and tie rods:

tried to match lengths to keep it semi close so i can at least drive it to get an alignment.

Reason i decided to remove them, this wasn't even the worst one;

New arms all prepped:

new cover for the steering rack installed, gotta say this was more of a pain in the *** than i thought it would be:

Had to actually refer back to the 'good book' to make sure i wasn't going to break something. Needed it out anyway for some torque specs and what have you.

25 Days left...

Comment

Got some more done:

Chris Brydon machined my valve cover to accept 2.0t Coilpacks:

Prepped the valve cover for some paint:

Primer:

Laying some coats:

Finished:

Installed the head, I was a bit annoyed with my headbolts from FCP Euro:

Spent more time sorting that than i would like to admit.

Head installed:

mock up of timing belt cover, coolant to turbo line:

installed:

little details, injector wire cover:

Received my Euro 3 spoke steering wheel, it smells like 10,000 cigarettes:

New strut mounts(another deferred maintenance item):

Both front axles had split boots and gunk everywhere, rebuilt them:

More updates as they happen, 21 days left!

Comment

worked a bit more this weekend, finished most of the front suspension.

New control arms with Derlin bushings, new strut bar links, new bearings, new ball joints, new strut mounts, should be pretty well dialed once it is on again.

Also got the timing belt on, with covers and such, looks like i'm going to need a longer PS pump belt, doesn't play well with the AAN cover.

Nate machined a small block off plate for my inlet tube. this inlet tube has been modified and powder coated, I wasn't a fan of the built in HKS BOV that was added to this pipe, so the easiest solution was to have a block off plate added.

Nate also helped move brake lines so i could fit the new brakes. Feels good to have the suspension dialed in and ready for a proper alignment.

Newly rebuilt calipers, all new seals, all new pads, shims, retailers, ect. Along with all the new suspension bits.

17 days left. I hope to start it wednesday, I'm close, need to wrap up a few things with vac and breather lines. But its close. I'll try to get an alignment and new tires mounted by friday and have 2 weeks or so to put some miles on it and iron out any other potential problems that might exist.
                Last edited by Ruffiano; 28 September 2015, 19:31.

Comment

Great update

Comment

Fantastic project. At the end of the thread you should post a before and after photo. Will give you great pleasure on your achievement.

Keep up the good work.
                    Stuart
                    B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Well I tried to get the car running Wednesday but I couldn't get it going for the life of me. It wasn't cranking well and one of the fuel lines was ruptured and spraying fuel all of the place, not ideal. Fixed the lines Thursday night, but it didn't seem to want to turn over. I replaced the starter thinking it was being finicky with one i had lying around, but same story. Called it a night, went to bed frustrated and annoyed with the car.

This morning I woke up with the intentions of getting it started or giving up on my 84 day goal.

Luckily it went well and got her fired up. Not exactly sure where the problem was, but I replaced the battery, made a new grounding (earth) strap for the engine, cleaned all my other ground points, and this happened:

made a couple pipes to tie together the intake track:

all but cooling buttoned up:

extra ground and new battery:

Tried bleeding all the brake lines since i installed new calipers up front, opened the rear caliper and no fluid was flowing out, it also had a seized ebrake lever. Luckily a local friend who lives 3 blocks from me had a parts car i was able to go rob some parts from:

Bled all the lines, and had some lovely fluid in the system...

Also go the downpipe installed!

Looking a bit better:

Anywho, 14 days till i leave for Las Vegas, hopefully I'll be driving this down.

Comment

good progress but what happened to that ic crossmember, looks a bit damaged

Comment

Originally posted by david1980 View Post
                          good progress but what happened to that ic crossmember, looks a bit damaged

Sadly due to my time table, and the fact that i live in the USA where no S2s were imported, i had to take what i could get...

Comment

Youtube vid is broken mate

Comment

Try this: https://youtu.be/C670o2r2c_E

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffiano View Post

Can almost guarantee that it was a grounding problem, had the exact same thing on mine. Happy you got it figured out, sounds good!

Comment

Working...
                                X