Touching up Miss Cooper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by k6kid View Post
    Just redone my door cards in my Coupe. Cleaned off as you did but then removed the vinyl layer in the area of the material only to get to the ABS moulding. This was because the high temp adhesives do not work well on vinyl or upvc as the plastisors in them attack the adhesive. I used a 3mm closed cell foam backing but as your leather will be thicker 2mm would be better to tuck into the external groove . i also redid my headlining using grey foam backed Milano from AS-fabrics. Looks good as it matches the trim colour and leather seats.
    Cheers for this. Yours look outstanding. I need to check because I didn't realise there's a vinyl layer. But that must be the same surface as the "exposed" parts of the door card right? So you stripped that right off to get down to bare, hard ABS plastic? damn, that sounds extreme!

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post

Cultural head-lining... tremendous idea - anything is better than god awful factory beige
    The Norn Oirn versions could be comedy gold though eh mate?

Originally posted by John. View Post

I'm talking of selling one and my wife says just keep it !.........although she understands they make me happy !
    Does she do phone counselling sessions for other wives?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    1990 CQ20v
    2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

• Originally posted by Nj View Post

Does she do phone counselling sessions for other wives?
      I'll ask her.

Comment

• Any tips on re-doing the headcloth?
        Material wise use something that has a degree of stretch to get into the sun visor areas.
        Also for my coupe i needed 1.5m x 1.0 m of material with very little waste.
        Use high temp adehesive.
        i have a detailed 'how to do it with pictures' copied from the internet which i can send you if needed.(about 3Mb)

Comment

• Cheers for this. Yours look outstanding. I need to check because I didn't realise there's a vinyl layer. But that must be the same surface as the "exposed" parts of the door card right? So you stripped that right off to get down to bare, hard ABS plastic? damn, that sounds extreme!
          Yes its the external layer over the whole doorcard. You only need to pry off the layer where the new material is going to be glued. It cuts easily in the bottom of the groove with a Stanley knife.Once you get hold of an edge it peels off easy. Hope this helps.

Comment

• Nice one, thanks. I thought that i'd be good sticking the original foam to the door card without removing the vinyl, but maybe I need to do as you've suggested.
            Separate question - for my rear cards do you have any thoughts on whether I should I glue the foam to the leather and let that dry before glueing both to the door card? Seems the logical way to go, rather than glueing the foam to the door card, then the leather to the foam, right?
            1990 CQ20v

Comment

• Separate question - for my rear cards do you have any thoughts on whether I should I glue the foam to the leather and let that dry before glueing both to the door card? Seems the logical way to go, rather than glueing the foam to the door card, then the leather to the foam, right?
              Foam onto leather first- thats exactly what I did. Audi also did it that way as either the cloth/ leather or faux leather material has the foam backing already in place.

Comment

• That’s what I thought but definitely good to hear it from you
                Thanks mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                1990 CQ20v

Comment

Working...
                X