Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90 CQ full build AAN, interior, restore..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welcome, from another stateside friend (only a state away in Utah). Love seeing the projects, ive 'be there done that' several times so if you need help, dont hesitate to ask!

Comment

Got my new struts, heater core, brake switch, 3 new window switches, (lighting was out) clutch pivot ball (had one break on my b5 s4 while on a long road trip, not taking any chances) got the spec clutch, all new diff/trans/motor mounts from 034, and rear 034 tie rods, and aluminum subframe bushings. already rebuilt the driveshaft, and all new control arm bushings, ball joints, and front tie rod ends.

For now the car sits on H&R lowering springs, ill pop in the new struts and see how it feels, haven't been impressed by the feeling they give. eventually ill either build some coils, or try to find some.

Worked on the donor urs4 last night, got all the harness disconnected inside the car, but there a lot of isht in the way to get it out the firewall hole, think ill just chop the hole bigger and fish it out easier... pain in the ***. Still have to pull the engine and trans/shifter diff and shafts. Then harvest the brakes and front hubs to do the 5x112 conversion.

Comment

Thanks!! love me some Utah, I try to get down to SLC for some in n out burger a couple times a year.

Comment

I also want to do the B4 hood and light conversion, trying to find a donor car to get it all.

Comment

Originally posted by kompressorgolf View Post
            I also want to do the B4 hood and light conversion, trying to find a donor car to get it all.
            im also going to go with a B4 bonnet on mine

Comment

Really like the doorcards
              1989 Audi 80 Quattro
              1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

Replaced my window switches this weekend as I found some new for 8 bucks each, now when I turn the car off close the door lock it, etc. They stay backlit very dimly. The illumination never worked in them before so couldn't tell if it was a previous issue. Any idea what could keep them on? if you push any button up or down, the lighting goes off until you release it. with key on they are very nice and bright. Any insight on that fellas?

Also replaced front strut inserts, and it completely changed for the better, however the suspension still seems kinda lifeless... not sure I like the H&R spring/kyb strut setup. Ok for now. harness is fully removed from donor, wouldn't clear the urs4 steering rack, so I had to dismantle that as well.

Comment

That is normal for the button window switches, so you can find them in the dark once you switch ignition off

They go out with the interior light timer, as with other circuits (sunroof and a couple of others IIRC).

Comment

they don't turn off ever, locked and sitting outside all night still on, dome light shuts off after a minute or so, but they all stay dimly lit?

Comment

Oh

Sounds like a sticky relay somewhere then...

Comment

know which relay I could check?

Comment

Big electric windows relay. Button illumination and motors are fed from the same wire. When the button is lit, you should be able to operate windows. When you press the button, does the light go out?
                          1989 Audi 80 Quattro
                          1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

yes, all lights go out on all three switches with button press, up or down. The windows do not roll down tho. doesn't even sound like they try. gonna pull back the boot from door to body and see if any wiring is broken. Also the illumination or the function of the seat memory switch does not work, never has, maybe theres something connected that's causing all the issues.

Comment

Had some time to harvest my AAN and transmission. what a pain it was in my small home garage. Didn't initially plan to open up the engine, but compression results were aweful, tapered from 120 on number 1 to a terrible 70 psi in number 5. shes got 250k miles on her tho and its tired. Hoping my cylinder head isn't cracked probably is tho. I have a 7A one so im not totally screwed. ill hone it do some rings and bearings, ARP head studs etc.

Already got the R8 coils. The wiring is questionable, will need to redo that part of the harness. I will make a hybrid harness, use some of the 7A tied into the AAN. My strap broke and the motor fell a couple inches, unfortunately it put a tiny hole in my oil cooler oh well, coulda been my hand instead lol.

Comment

still need to remove the S6 wheels, and get the hubs and calipers off the front, not sure if I can use the calipers as spare for the coupe, but may come in handy later. ill machine the hubs the 5mm and get a4 b5 rear hubs and all new bearings, the s6 wheels will be ok to make it a roller. I have some rather large BBS LM replicas staggered from my s4 not sure if they will fit the baby audi tho.

Comment

Working...
                                X