Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90 CQ full build AAN, interior, restore..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could be your prop centre bearing? I know I have been meaning to do mine for 3 years due to same complaint....

Comment

Ive replaced it already with an 034 item. ive done all the tie rods, all the motor/trans/snub mount, all control arm bushings, all strut mounts and subframe/diff mounts. Everything has been tightened up, and its accentuating the rear diff I think. with the solid subframe bushes, Im getting a slight whine from the diff too, I think the backlash or bearings are worn. everything works perfectly diff lock and all. I need to look at prop shaft cv's, there doesn't appear to be any cv shaft play, all boots are perfect no leaks. I haven't don't the large rear diff bushing but it seems nice and tight, with a large pry bar I cant much movement in it at all, appears to be original in type. I need to lay under it and have someone slack the drivetrain while I take a good solid look around.

Comment

are there any other models of prop shaft that bolt up? I have a urs4 but not sure if it works lengthwise. I have the half carbon one in the car original, but id like to get rid of it for an all steel item.

Comment

After a lot of research, last resort is to check the cv's on the prop shaft, and have a buddy run the car on the lift while I watch thinks below and stethoscope the diff. Possibly sourced a diff just in case :/ Not holding my breath, by the sound of it there is a lot of play somewheres...

Comment

Got some shots up the upgrade mounts and checked out my cv's and rear diff.

And a vid showing how much slop there is in the diff itself, and there is play in the rear driveshaft cv and axle cv's as well

Comment

Got a new diff in. And replaced the cvs on the center prop and made a world of difference. Only slop left is the inner and outer rear cv joints. I can find new inner joints but no outers or even complete replacement axles, any source you guys know of?

Comment

sourced new inner and outer rear CV's will be tomorrows project. also retrimmed my dash wood trim to match the interior, made a little diy for anyone wanting to know/try.

After templating, first sew the zigzag lines

Then Tie off the threads on the ends,

Then the real crappy part, closing off the ends of each hexagon,

Then the worst of all, going back and tying off each end of those connections, a triple knot followed by a double knot on each end. takes forever

Then simply glue it and trim to fit, and install panel

This should be the last of the mechanicals tomorrow before I begin the engine swap.

Comment

Rebuilt the rear cv shafts, inners and outers, resulted in further tightening up everything. Still a fairly severe thunk when I "shock" the drivetrain, kinda popping the clutch pedal, sounds still like someone hitting the rear of the floor with a rubber mallet. With all my work, it has severely diminished and I feel there is very little on off throttle slop as a result. just this loud bang still. ive replaced all wear items front and rear, just not sure what else that it can be. Thinking of replacing center carrier again but its only got a few hundred miles on it. I need a helper to shock the drive train while I watch from underneath while on a lift. Car has NO rust and cant see any cracked or issues in the subframe at all. I just cant find it!!! driving me mental!

Comment

You done the engine swop you ?

Comment

A rubber mallet thump from the rear is normally one of the two rear diff mounts that has separated, allowing the diff to rotate up and hit the floor of the car.

Irritating things is that you can't see it easily without getting under and giving it a good wedging with a lever bar.

Comment

Working...
                      X