To swb or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power plant

Good idea but I'm going to try and stay true to the age related engine I did think of going down the vr6t route due to costs but managed to find reasonable priced running gear . Just looking around for the wings bumper etc but still reading reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by macspring View Post
      If it was me I'd leave it as a long wheel base quattro. A short wheel base won't handle as nicely.

A B2 with a I5 20vt and quattro would be lovely as with just a chip the power to weight ratio would be very good, and such a car would be a very nice sleeper.

But that's just my opinion.

Almost right, only chipped 2.2 20vt isn't great power. Something like this would be more like a sleeper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Chk1jLy2fs

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
      Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
      BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
      BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Sleeper

Although I d love it to go like that I ve set a budget which will ultimately control the final specs of running gear . I think without my set budget the build would snowball into a long build . Although looking around the forum everyone seems to encourage the craziness.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefrog View Post
          Although I d love it to go like that I ve set a budget which will ultimately control the final specs of running gear . I think without my set budget the build would snowball into a long build . Although looking around the forum everyone seems to encourage the craziness.
          Set budget is very important, SQ build with 350 bhp should cost around £40k including donor cars and LWB quattro about £25k.
          sigpic_________
          Rob

Comment

i have been looking at something similar and the prices are even higher than that once you get going.

i have tried finding running gear at a reasonable price and even trying to get bits from many people to no avail and it seems the cheapest and easiest way is to buy an s2 for parts, but people are asking silly money for cars now.

spend the time costing this out properly and go from that

Comment

Budget

Yes I ve set aside a budget and am slowly still collecting parts before the cut . Just weighing up different panel suppliers and getting feedback from people who ve used them . I m lucky in the respect I work in the motor trade and have loads of friends in fpdifferent engineering trades . I ve got a whole workshop spare for the build at the moment just got to list loads of stuff in there on flea bay to make room around the jig. Aiming to start the cut in a few weeks after I ve got the panel kit. Got a couple cars to break up as well for some parts so gonna be a busy time but can't wait

Comment

Struts

Anyone know if s2 suspension fits a early coupe ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lefrog View Post
                  Anyone know if s2 suspension fits a early coupe ?
                  Coupe b2 , b3 or b4? Quattro?
                  sigpic_________
                  Rob

Comment

Subframe

I m breaking a 1990 coupe Quattro think it's a b3 but still not learnt what's what.

I d add a picture if it works

Comment

Originally posted by boomsly View Post
                      i have been looking at something similar and the prices are even higher than that once you get going.

i have tried finding running gear at a reasonable price and even trying to get bits from many people to no avail and it seems the cheapest and easiest way is to buy an s2 for parts, but people are asking silly money for cars now.

spend the time costing this out properly and go from that
                      I'm 3/4 of the way through an SQ build using an 80 coupe LHD front end / doors and a CQ back end. 07K engine, S2 box and diff, KW suspension with repro SQ wishbones, Porsche brakes, road trim other than a half cage, carbon Kevlar body. There's a thread on this forum that I update periodically. Costs can become very much more than you have estimated above although if you are doing the work yourself then maybe you could bring it in towards your top end figures. Ultimately if you are sinking that sort of money into a project then you need to build what YOU want. If you need to re-sell it, then I suspect the truer the replica then the higher the residual. I wouldn't bank on recovering costs though - methinks you do these things for love! Anyway, good luck with what ever direction you take.

C
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Well the fun begins , made a few cuts on my coupe last week and trimmed the Audi 80 screen upper off. Had to unpick it a fair bit to get to the strengthening sections but at least I be found a place to tie it back in.Scuttle panel is off and cleaned up ready so fingers crossed the welder will be making a entrance later . Also stripped the loom out of my s2 coupe as sold that to go stand alone . What a nice job.

Comment

Well Started to weld a few things back onto the car . Measure move , measure measure tack remeasure check diagonals etc. slow progress but feel like I m moving forward at least now.

Comment

Subscribed, very interested to see this progress

Comment

Got to love a spot weld drill bit , spent a couple hours finding and unpicking the rear end panels I need to remove to fit new panels , I tried to save as much as I can just in case I need to refit sections to look oe. Drivers rear quarter is ok need passenger in 6 mm , it's had a quarter at some point and either the inner frame was damaged and not pulled straight or its bad from the factory, wish I noticed before I cut the car in half as bit of a pain to pull it now . So tonight pull it out and try and fit the rear panels again . Then strip down clean all edges and start to tack it back into one car .

Comment

Well finally managed to get a few hours on the shell , cleaned on edges up and welded the shell back together then started to change the drivers c piller around to match the roof and lift the rear window aperture . Reinforced it from the outer side and gave it a light tidy so not to lose the strength as its not visible once the roofs bonded so didn't go mental . Light zinc primer , got a few jobs to do tomorrow on my mates car but fingers crossed I ll do the passenger side after.
                                This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X