Caliper won’t bleed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caliper won’t bleed

I’ve just refitted my Brembo 8 pot calipers on s2 after getting them reconditioned.

The drivers side bled fine and is functioning correctly.

The passenger side is just not bleeding. I used the sealer air compressor bleeder but there is no fluid coming out.

I even used the traditional 2 person pressing the brake medal method but no joy.

I disconnected the brake hose pipe off the caliper to bypass it and pumped the brake but there’s hardly any fluid coming out of the hose and is only coming out in drips.

I also took off the hose from the ABS pump to check for a blockage but it blew compressed air through the other end.

Pumping the brakes with the hose disconnected from ABS pump (top left hose on pic) resulted in no fluid coming out of the pump outlet.

Is there air trapped in the ABS pump?

Is it possible to vent the pump?

The strange is that the pedal feels hard and doesn’t feel
    like there’s air in the system?

Any ideas?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

It is not unknown for brake hoses to be made 'solid'........

Also, check for crimped hard lines.

Comment

Sorry what should I check?

The brakes were working fine before I got calipers refurbished.

Comment

Did you clamp the hose at all.. Crushed flexo internally??

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeymagic View Post
          Did you clamp the hose at all.. Crushed flexo internally??
          I did yeh but I tested it by taking the hose off and blowing compressed air through it.

Comment

The hard lines, I. E. The copper/steel pipes, it is possible one has got crimped by a jack/axle stand for example...

Comment

You could try reverse bleeding from the caliper back to the reservoir you’ll need a large syringe though.

Otherwise it would appear something is amiss inside the ABS unit.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

Is there a vcds access to the abs pump on an Aby?
                Many modern vag cars need to follow a bleed precedure to clear air from the pump.
                Mk4 golf's are notoriously bad for it..
                Sometimes taking the car out (closed road) and causing abs to kick in clears pockets of air in my experience.

Comment

Sometimes taking the car out (closed road) and causing abs to kick in clears pockets of air in my experience.
                  Definitely worth giving this a try.

Comment

I would also try flushing through the caliper from the bleed screw with the line off the back and see if the fluid passes easily.. Could it be crap in the caliper following the refurb

Comment

I would also try flushing through the caliper from the bleed screw with the line off the back and see if the fluid passes easily.. Could it be crap in the caliper following the refurb
                      I’ve already done that. I took off the hoses going into the ABS pump and the fluid Moved freely so fluid is entering the pump.The hose from the ABS pump going into the left caliper is not passing any fluid through. My problem is in the ABS pump. Is there no way of venting it?

Comment

Is there a vcds access to the abs pump on an Aby?
                        Many modern vag cars need to follow a bleed precedure to clear air from the pump.
                        Mk4 golf's are notoriously bad for it..
                        Plugged in vcds but no option for bleed procedure or adaptation etc - said something like module does not support. Other than causing abs to kick in on road, is there no other way to vent the system? I definitely know that the problem is in the abs pump as fluid enters it freely but none coming out from the hose to the left caliper.

Comment

Could you disconnect the line from the abs block and push fluid through from caliper to completely fill the line.
                          Just a thought... I would certainly try taking it out and causing abs to kick in to see if opening and ******** valves shifts any air obstruction.

Comment

I typed shutting....

Comment

Originally posted by Monkeymagic
                              I typed shutting....
                              Sure you did lol

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment