Bleeding my bleeding brakes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleeding my bleeding brakes!

Well I found the reason for the leaking caliper, ordered a seal kit from Hi-Spec, and rebuilt both front calipers.

Now I'm having trouble bleeding the brakes. Apart from shearing off one of the bleed nipples I just can't seem to get a firm pedal.

I'm using one of the kits that fits onto the bleed nipple with a non-return valve at the end of the pipe.

I got a satisfying amount of air out of the rear brakes and I had a lovely firm pedal when I'd finished doing all the calipers.. until I started the engine. Then the pedal hits the floor and the brakes are next to useless

What am I doing wrong?
    1994 Audi S2 Avant - in pieces
    2006 Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0TFSi - goes fast
    1985 Audi 90 quattro - is wet

Don't forget the East Midlands Meet -Last Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm just off M1 J28!![/COLOR]

IIRC you have to bleed these with the engine running (something about it bleeding thru the abs system), someone else also mentioned that the clutch might need bleeding as its on the same system.

Comment

I also read that the clutch is on the same system, but I found it impossible to bleed without it being on a ramp. Maybe I could get to it a bit better from underneath.

So should I have done it with the engine running?

Don't forget the East Midlands Meet -Last Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm just off M1 J28!![/COLOR]

Comment

I think you have to have the engine running Matt D had a thread recently saying about this as he 2 boiled the fluid at combe, iirc you can get at the clutch thru the steering rack hole from what i've heard.

Comment

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24287

Have a look thru this thread.

Comment

Make sure the handbrake is off!!
            Rob..
            94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
            87 UR 20v ABY
            97 S6 Avant
            96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
            1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
              Yep, read that one in Paul's thread of old!

Comment

If you still cant manage the brake bleed you can come over to sheffield where we can give you a hand .myself and a few of the lads on here can sort quite a few things between us .im 20 mins from worksop.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
                  Yep made that mistake too

I've always been curious, what effect would it have depressurising the bomb first?
                  91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                  93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                  94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

I've never seen any reference in the manuals to needing the engine running for brake bleeding. Only troubles I had was when I'd left that handbrake one.

Bleeding the clutch is indeed a right pain - bet mine has never been done yet.

Paul
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Don't need the engine running IIRC. And from the sounds of it the clutch will need doing too. You can get to it with the passengers side front jacked up. Tis a pain though!!!
                      Dark Grey Avant
                      RS2 FARB
                      Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
                      Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

Working...
                      X