Standard RS2 brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80
    And there was me thinking that a good standard S2 upgrade would be RS2 Brakes. I don't think so, not with disc and pad prices like that.

Can you not get them from Porsche cheaper???
    Like I said earlier pads & discs all round are £260+VAT from GSF. Discs are probably Zimmerman or Brembo & I think pads are Pagid.
    Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Is that what you are running? Or did you not buy the car a few weeks back and probably have not touched the brakes yet? I'll check out GSF - thanks

Comment

Yes I only bought the car a few weeks ago & luckily the discs & pads are all virtually brand new. I think they must have come from GSF as the garage invoice is nowhere near £1600.

I did have to strip them down & clean them up though as it had been standing for several months. They hadn't changed those damping plates either so I did replace them.
        Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

The standard front pads are around £115-130 a set from porsche. I got porterfield R4's for £170.

It's not as bad when they are fitted on an S2 as you use A8 discs which are a lot cheaper.

Ben
          the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
          1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

That sounds like Lomond Audi in Glasgow or Stirling Audi. Wouldn't use either of them
            Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by RSBLURS2
              I'm at the point when I need new front pads and discs for my standard '95 RS2. Any recommendations? I won't be doing any track days and I've found the standard setup fine. I have had a look at the EBC groove discs which look OK. I will be doing the job with a friend so would like any advice you have. Should shim pads be changed at the same time? Thanks
              Do you know if you've got the standard 304mm disc, or the what was already an uprated (optional extra) 322mm disc?

I'm probably going to sound like a stuck record, but the best pad you can get is the Ferodo DS2500 IMHO.
              For the fronts, they'll set you back about £160 inc VAT and delivery, but belive me, they are worth every penny. It sounds like they're not much more than the stock RS2 pad anyway (based on what you've been quoted), but the difference will be palpable.

Don't know about rear brake options, but I suspect you should be able to get Ferodos to fit the rear 4-pots on your RS2 as well.

If you're prepared to actually fork out for a bigger diameter disc, with associated bigger calipers/brackets etc, you could easily sell your calipers here, front ones at least, but the brakes on the RS2 are pretty sound anyway in stock form? Ok you can always go bigger, but how much are you really prepared to spend...

Porsche always seem to have x-drilled discs, don't know why: it "looks cool", but that's about it as far as I'm concerned.

It might not make a huge difference, but consider getting an uprated brake fluid too. Castrol SRF, or ATE Super Blue for example. Might reduce fade a bit if you ever get that.
              Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

I did some laps of Goodwood yesterday and was slightly pissed that I got brake squeal coming off after a while. I thought my brakes were fine as I,ve spent good money on caliper work etc. Anyone know what actually causes brake squeal. Many thanks
                Volcano black,134500 miles,standard,everyday transport, new rear discs, new door trims, replaced radiators x2, front/rear shocks(OE) + suspension bushes, recent alarm, undersealed, exhaust/head gasket, pulls like a train. big turbo whistle 315 hp

Comment

Question....... does the RS2 calipers work with the 322mm A8 discs? cos there are a couple of sets on Ebay at the moment that im tempted by... says RS2 and 911,

Audi 8A0 615 105 K und 8A0 615 106 K

Wondered if the RS2 calipers are smaller than the 911 ones, im guessing they are????
                  Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                  2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Squeal will come from wither glazed pads or the pad itself vibrating. Bembo 4pots use an antisqueal shim between the pistons and the pad. Its function is to damp out the high frequency vibrations. Suggest you use a small amount of copper grease between the pads and the shim to see if that cures it. These shims also reduce heat transfer to the pistons reducing the peak temperatures of the fluid and slowing the onset of boiling brake fluid and the resulting 'fade'. AP racing use a different type of arrangement to reduce high frequency noise and their calipers do not feature these anti-squeal shims.

Grooved pads reduce the effect of glazed pads. Don't bother with drilled as you'll actually get a reduction in performance and durability but I guess it does look sporty.

Larger disks take more heat energy for a given temperature rise. My brake setup has large disks which reduce the thermal loading on disks, pads and fluid during heavy use especially on track days. Strong, durable but expensive.

I have been raving about Ferodo DS2500 pads for a long time (2 years or so). As Dan said: worth the extra cash. They outperform and outlast any other pad I have tried. Although, on a par I think I would rate the Pagid Orange pads which I have been testing lately. They are very good too and exhibit the same characteristics as the DS2500. Got my Pagid Orange for £30 from ebay!! Old stock that someone couldn't shift. Right place right time: Bargain.
                    1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                    Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

I'm gonna try something other than DS2500s next time on mine. The pads sometimes 'stick' to the disk or so it sounds like - a droning sound. Also get that on very very light braking. When they are warmed up I've got no complaints, apart from they turn the wheels near black in a day.

More than all of that is the £184 or so it costs for a set. I must be off me fookn rocka.
                      'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Originally posted by APNess
                        I'm gonna try something other than DS2500s next time on mine. The pads sometimes 'stick' to the disk or so it sounds like - a droning sound. Also get that on very very light braking. When they are warmed up I've got no complaints, apart from they turn the wheels near black in a day.

More than all of that is the £184 or so it costs for a set. I must be off me fookn rocka.
                        Wierd. I dont get those sounds at all. You have 6 pot APs also, right? Have you changed the seals and put new pad retaining plates in? If there is crud there, the pistons/pads may not pull back as they are intended.

If you change pads, drop me a line. I have tried many in the 6pots and some only lasted as little as 60miles before melting away. Others are only suitable for endurance track events. The range is limited for the CP5555 caliper but there are other AP pad patterns that fit which use different amounts of the disk.

Lee
                        1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
                        Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Paul - were you in my car when I had hte squeal after heavy braking? That was due to baked on crud on th epistons - they wouldn't retract properly after braking - I pope the piston out(out as far as I needed them to be) and cleaned them - it fixed that noise.
                          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by RSBLURS2
                            They are the 304mm (I think). I think the brakes are from a 968CS?? I have never changed pads / discs before but don't mind a shot. Quoted around £1600 for discs and pads all round which is a lot of beer! I quite fancy something like cross drilled or grooved if there is something around.
                            Contrast to popular belief brakes r not entirely from a 968CS acording to
                            PET ( porsche version of ETKA) as i found out to my embarasment at a
                            Porsche Meeting
                            They r a combination of 4 different Porshes
                            RS2 MTM

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
                              Paul - were you in my car when I had hte squeal after heavy braking? That was due to baked on crud on th epistons - they wouldn't retract properly after braking - I pope the piston out(out as far as I needed them to be) and cleaned them - it fixed that noise.
                              Mine's more of a groan Doug (similar to the sound I'll be making at 6am tommorrow when I get up for work) but I do recall you said something about that - looks like a brakes off job and get the boogas sorted. It's not everytime, and the brakes are fine (yeah Lee same 6 pots as yours, slightly smaller discs at 356mm) at stopping (never stood on 'em yet - don't need to).

Another job to add to the list - doing rocker cover gasket again this Thursday. Might end up driving up on Thurs night if that's ok mate? Think that might be best than get stuffed on that crappy bridge in rush hour again.

PJ
                              'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

I've just done the rear discs and pads yesterday - I just went for standard pads and ended up skimming the old discs removind 3/1000 " from both sides. The guy helping with thwork has a machine shop and said that skimming discs is perfectly ok. Is this true - they certainly look like new again for £10 each! The pads were quite tricky to get in the callipers because of a pile of white dust that had caused the metal bracket that holds the pad in to bend. Can these be replaced or do you need full callipers. They are OK just now but may do at next brake service. Thanks for the advice by the way - I'll go for the Ferrodo gear next time!

Comment

Working...
                                X