Big Brake upgrade??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Brake upgrade??

I find the brakes on my s2 a little vague they work well but the feel is a little numb. I have a new bomb to go on as mine is screwed however i'm considering a big brake conversion.
    Is there a complete off the shelf kit and where is the best place to get them from?
    thanks in advance Steven

I'm not aware that there's a big brake conversion available as a kit as such at a sensible price but a common(est?) conversion on the front is to to go to Brembo calipers from a Porsche Boxster S / 996, A8 discs and the original RS mounting bracket or one sold by Bambridge.

That's what I've got on my car.

If you search on here, there's loads of posts about the conversion.

John

Comment

that's what I've read. where do people go for calipers? i guess discs i could get from factors and brackets and bolts from dealers

Comment

People use the Porsche calipers with part numbers 996.351.425 and 996.351.426 then get your caliper brackets from Bambridge and A8/S8 323mm discs and some hoses and jobs a good one. Simple to fit and very affective.
        Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

400x38 ceramic brakes are enough for you?

Got a direct bolt on setup for you if you want
          RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
          BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
          LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

okay I've found a pair of re con calipers for about 400. ill price up some discs. how much are the brackets and do they come with necessary bolts? also what brake lines do people use. i assume they Will fit easily under my 17 inch boleros. how many questions is that?

Comment

Just to warn you, the brakes will never feel particularly sharp, even with an upgrade but they will at least stop the car.

Speak to bambridge or will20v about the required brackets and hardware. Check out a thread by willg54 for discs and a group buy from le s2 Audi for DSs2500 pads or get EBC yellowstuff from Camskill when you order the discs. Other option is Textar but they are a very basic pad. You can make your own lines or get RS2 solid lines and remodel them a smidge.

HTH
              Cheers'en, AndyC
              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

i can only seem to get 321 mm discs from my supplies Will this be okay. or does it have to be 323. struggling cos haven't got reg of an a8 to work with

Comment

God knows what they're off, never heard of 321mm brake discs when discussing 996 conversion discs.

You can get brackets to fit 425/426 monoblocks with 314mm or 323mm brake discs. 314mm fit under 16" Avus, 323mm need 17" wheels.

You can get Pagid off ECP, Zimmerman off GSF, Brembos off ebay or National grooved / drilled ones off camskill (linky). If your local motorfactors can't find the 314 or 323 discs then get them elsewhere as you may end up with something totally unuseable.
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                    400x38 ceramic brakes are enough for you?

Got a direct bolt on setup for you if you want
                    Price ??

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      Just to warn you, the brakes will never feel particularly sharp, even with an upgrade but they will at least stop the car.

HTH
                      The big big setups eg RS6 do feel sharp but in doing so you lose the progressiveness of brake setup as its nothing nothing boom! brake lag

I have the GT3's and I feel they are the perfect comprimise between bite and progressive pedal travel.

Another thing is alot of comparisons are done with front brake upgrades only, doing both front and read has a massive effect and is definately worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by audi rs2 1995 View Post
                        Price ??

Pm sent
                        RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
                        BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
                        LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

If you just want a firmer brake pedal with more feel replace all the rubber brake lines with metal braided ones. Even with porsche brakes they will still be mushy with rubber lines.
                          91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                          93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                          94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

[QUOTE=Rusty;665621]God knows what they're off, never heard of 321mm brake discs when discussing 996 conversion discs.

You can get brackets to fit 425/426 monoblocks with 314mm or 323mm brake discs. 314mm fit under 16" Avus, 323mm need 17" wheels.

Rusty you are wrong, a 323mm disc will fit under a 16" Avus wheel. When you come pick up your parts up you can have a look at mine :mischeif:

Comment

Fair enough, can't say I've seen that before
                              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                              X