No announcement yet.

red warning symbol on start up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes it could be the float but there's another more likely reason if you're just getting the symbol 30 seconds after start up.

The red symbol is triggered by low fluid or low pressure. Pressure is measured by a pressure switch in the brake servo. Autocheck waits 30 seconds after start up before checking to see if the pressure switch has closed. 30 seconds isn't quite long enough for an old pump to fully build up pressure especially if the car has been standing for a long time so the bomb has completely discharged.

If I've left my car more than a few days the red symbol will trigger 30 seconds after start up. It's done it for some years now but the symbol never comes on at any other time so I leave it alone. Using the power steering in the first 30 seconds makes things worse as the pump now has 2 things to do.

If Autocheck was set for 40 seconds you'd probably never get the red symbol.

In my view consider it a "feature" and only worry about it if the red symbol won't go away.

A new bomb will help extend the number of days you can leave the car before the red symbol comes on in any given car but won't eliminate the problem and isn't worth the cost of new bomb just for that.

John

Comment

Well i moved the car out the garage today and noticed a puddle of pas fluid near the nsf wheel.
      I checked the level and its still normal. Idont recall spilling any topping it up.
      So i had a lookaround it appeared to be leaking from the resrtvoir. The rear most of the pipes was wet and the inner wing wet with fluid.
      It appears to have been leaking for a while.
      I pulled a few bits out the way and cleaned it all.
      I found the jubillee holding the rear most pipe practically loose.
      I hope this is the issue resolved.

Comment

Hope that sorted it for you

Comment

Me too. If not its either a porous hose or broken reservoir. Its seems most likely that its the jubilee. I could of removed it with a good pull so was very loose.

Comment

Right this problem has reared its head. After my last post i did maybe 80 miles in the car. All was fine.
            The car has stood for maybe 7 days and all was dry.
            I just went out and noticed a puddle under the wheel again.
            I checked and noticed the top of the reservoir was wet. I had cleaned it all good but could see the iner wing and chassis was wet again.
            I could see it had run down and dripped off subframe. As i opened the reser cap the level was high.
            So i start the car and get the warning symbol after 30 secs.
            After i turned the engine off and the level was close to min.
            I accept that after a week of standing it may take while to build pressure. But why would the fluid leak after a week of standing??
            Its confused me.

Comment

I can't explain your leak but I would point out that the fluid level in the reservoir changes with the position of the rack so it's best to always check the level with the steering set straight ahead.

John

Comment

Yeah its always in straightahead position. It seems the level has risen after being parked a few days?

Comment

Fluid is stored under pressure in the bomb, so it seems like your bomb is emptying back into the system when parked up. It's the only way the fluid level can rise.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

That was my thoughts.but why is there a valve that needs changing or is it another new bomb?
                    Anyone on here do conversions to vac servos? Ha ha.

Comment

Just spoke to pete reeve and he says the bomb would not fail in this way. He just thinks i have put too much in? Just have to monitor it.

Comment

Working...
                      X