This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angus,
    I am just about to do the same to mine too!
    I have been putting it off for a while, but about to bite the bullet.
    I was wondering about braided hoses too - there must be a Goodridge set that fits the callipers, but also need to be long enough etc. to fit the RS2.
    Glyn

Ex-Polar Silver RS2
    Sprint Blue RS4 - new toy :mischeif:

Comment

Originally posted by AAH!
      Is the term "pad slider" the technical term and are they known as anything else (for ordering porposes)?

Also if I am going to do a refurb on the rears, what other parts are servicable or should be replaced?

Pete and Al did you upgrade the brake lines when you did yours?

Thanks

Angus
      The "pad sliders" are the stainless steel sprung plates at top (8A0 698 630 A) & bottom (8A0 698 630) of calipers which locate the brake pads & allow them to slide back & forth.

Pistons & seals are also serviceable, although mine didn't need replacing as the pistons were working freely.

I haven't upgraded to big reds & haven't changed any brake lines.
      Now RS2'less

'99 VW Passat VR5 Sport

Comment

Word of warning to anyone using this list - it lists Porsche part number that do not fit.
        I have OEM upgraded brakes on my RS2 and according to the document Porsche partnumbers 965-351-045-00 and 965-351-046-00 should be the front discs - wrong the OEM upgrade kit gives you floating discs whereas these Porsche discs are fixed not floating.
        According to the document the rear drilled disc should be 951-352-041-91 Wrong again as this disc hat is about 25mm too big which would lead to some interesting rear wheel offset.
        I wish people who post lists on the Internet would actually check that they are correct. I could now be faced with a restocking charge due to this incorrect information.
        The brake pads 993-351-949-00 front and 965-352-939-04 rear are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by scillyisles View Post
          According to the document the rear drilled disc should be 951-352-041-91 Wrong again as this disc hat is about 25mm too big which would lead to some interesting rear wheel offset.
          I've just traveled all day yesterday with my new RS2 rear calipers on my back in a rucksack from Zurich to Atlanta. I'm very happy today to say the least. However I didn't buy the Audi discs. I don't think my 40 year old back could take calipers and discs. I was hoping that I could source them from Porsche here in the states. Does anyone know if there is a Porsche alternative for the rear discs.....or are the discs an Audi only part?

If it is an Audi only part where is the best place to buy a set of the drilled discs in the UK? Vagparts?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by AAH! View Post
            Basically yes, making for an annoying intermitant whining noise, which is currently not to bad.

I am about to bite the bullet ( I really am this time) and upgrade to big reds and thought I would sort out the rears at the same time, but before I do I thought I might find out about the rear callipers in case the corrision was too bad to make good. is the term "pad slider" the technical term and are they known as anything else (for ordering porposes)?
            I'd skip the Big Reds and get Ferodo DS2500 for you "Small" Reds. This combination will have your RS2 do nose wheelies. Absolutely amazing braking power. The ABS triggers immediately, so there would be no need for added clamping force. You'd be hard pressed to fade them too.
            1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
            1994 80E Avant
            1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

Originally posted by EspenW View Post
              I'd skip the Big Reds and get Ferodo DS2500 for you "Small" Reds. This combination will have your RS2 do nose wheelies. Absolutely amazing braking power. The ABS triggers immediately, so there would be no need for added clamping force. You'd be hard pressed to fade them too.
              Having done both the big reds are the answer however this was posted 3 years ago & Angus(AHH) went down the big red route
              Alastair
              RS2

Comment

After a bunch of digging. It appears that a Porsche 928/944T rear rotor (951 352 041 01) is a direct replacement for the RS2 rear.

Both 928 and RS2 discs seem to share:
                299 x 24 disc size
                5 x 130 bolt spacing
                71mm height from the back of the disc to the wheel mounting surface
                180mm inner diameter inside the "hat"

If anyone has a RS2 rear disc around that could confirm this for me? It would be a huge help.

Comment

Originally posted by saltinot View Post
                  After a bunch of digging. It appears that a Porsche 928/944T rear rotor (951 352 041 01) is a direct replacement for the RS2 rear.

Both 928 and RS2 discs seem to share:
                  299 x 24 disc size
                  5 x 130 bolt spacing
                  71mm height from the back of the disc to the wheel mounting surface
                  180mm inner diameter inside the "hat"

If anyone has a RS2 rear disc around that could confirm this for me? It would be a huge help.
                  This ever confirmed?

Comment

i can measure soon, have oem discs lying in garage

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

I've just found a website stating the (951 352 041 01) disc has the wrong hat height

http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=...ight=rear+disc

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                        I've just found a website stating the (951 352 041 01) disc has the wrong hat height

http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=...ight=rear+disc
                        Jamo, I think your confusing the numbers. Understandably as they are similar numbers.

The thread doesn't mention the 951 352 041 01 number. The number you're thinking has the wrong sized hat is 951 352 041 91, which is a rear 968 disc and is mentioned in the link above.

The rear 968 disc. Note the height of the bell/hat. It is not even close.

951 352 041 01 is the number for the rear of a later 928.

After a lot of researching I've found the rear 928 rotor to be the most likely candidate. The only downside to this disc is that there is no cross-drilled version available from Porsche. There is a Zimmermann cross-drilled version, but it is cheesy and doesn't even come close to the look of the factory RS2 disc.

I was never able to confirm the 951 352 041 01 number. I was about to buy some just to try them.

With some measurements from a RS2 rear disc I could be for sure.
                        Last edited by saltinot; 16 February 2009, 14:15. Reason: placed pictures in forum gallery

Comment

This is what we need to confirm.....

RS2 rear disc dimensions.

Comment

928s on the back of mine, take it as confirmed.
                            Rob..
                            94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
                            87 UR 20v ABY
                            97 S6 Avant
                            96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
                            1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

So just to be 110%...951 352 041 01 is the number Rob? GSF?
                              S2 + RS2 yep ive had a few love em... Laser red S2 avant... Brilliant black lhd RS2... Polar silver RS2... RS blau RS2... CheeRS Al

Comment

They came from GSF, I would have to dig the invoice out to get the part number. I even think they list them on their system as RS2/928.
                                Rob..
                                94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
                                87 UR 20v ABY
                                97 S6 Avant
                                96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
                                1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Working...
                                X