LHD 3B - info needed on battery cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LHD 3B - info needed on battery cable

The battery on a LHD 3B coupe is under the rear bench.

I am having a voltage drop of 0.6 - 0.8 volts measured at the alternator and measured at the battery.

SJM site says that the 200 has a spliced joint in the cable between the starter and the battery... and this sometimes causes problems.

I was wondering if anyone can confirm if my car would have such a joint - before I start dismantling and looking !

Thanks
    Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
    S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
    '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

If it’s there it will be behind the carpet under the dash in your front passenger footwell.
    In the Urq it’s a T where the power splits off to the fuse box.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

There isn’t a joint, on the ABY at least anyway. From the battery there is a cable direct to the starter, and a separate cable direct to the fuse board. The alternator is also wired direct to the fuse board. HTH
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thanks chaps... I'm wondering if the best solution might be to run an additional 25mm sq cable from battery to starter... then see...
        it seems to charge ok.... but a bigger drop than i would like

Comment

Try a resistance test on the existing cables
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

You can drop test the connections too?...….. at battery and alternator.

Resistance test isn't the way to go here(it'll likely show no resistance), drop test under load is by far a better way.

Comment

I don't have the means to drop test.... but what would that show, other than a drop in voltage - it wouldn't show where or why, would it?

Comment

You have a volt-meter ! ….. Then you can drop test under load, a volt meter tells the voltage difference between any 2 points in a circuit......you don't have to go between positive and negative.
                I'm assuming when you say you have a voltage drop that you have XX amount when measured between battery terminals and then XX-0.8 when measured between alternator output and battery negative?
                This doesn't tell you if the problem is with the positive or earth circuit.
                With engine running and consumables switched on, you need to then go between different points between alternator output and battery positive, this'll tell you the drop on this side of the circuit...…..do the same for the earth circuit (starting between alternator casing and battery negative terminal).
                Maybe if you search you-tube it'll explain/show better than me!

Comment

Ah John.... thanks... now I understand...

yes... measured at xx voltage at alternator and xx-0.8 at battery ..

little job for the weekend - thanks for taking the time to explain

Comment

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Working...
                    X