Pin swap help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pin swap help

Hi guys,done the pin swap to use an aby ecu with 3b loom,was looking for some info with regards to pins 47,48 and 49.
    Having researched both 3b and aby pin assignments some of the terminology is confusing me slightly.

I've got for the 3b loom;
    47 engine speed sensor
    48 reference point for engine speed &CPS 49 CPS
    For the aby I have;
    47 crank reference (62 degrees btdc on cylinder 1)
    48 0v reference for crank sensors
    49 crank speed sensor

I've not swapped any pins yet,it's confusing me a little tbh

Also the car is a TDI converted to petrol tank etc,I previously had the fuel pump on its own relay controlled by a standalone ecu.
    Obviously now I'm using motronic,my question is where on the fuse board do I take the pump 12 v feed from?

​​​​​​Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm so close to getting her running,cheers

It's a love/hate relationship with the S2,i love it,it hates me

Found some info S2 central posted here a while back and swapped the appropriate pins.
    got the car cranking with good oil pressure.
    Still need a bit more info on the fuel pump supply though,the fusebox has a relay marked glowplugs/fuel pump on the cover,it's numbered 202 instead of 208,will this also pose a problem?
    and to add insult to injury I have no spark

Comment

Add the fuse board layout is the same across all models. What harness are you using? Should just be plug'n'play if you have an S2 harness.

HTH
      Alex
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

It's a 3b harness,as you say most of it just plugged in,but I've got no power at the pump,I'm trying to think back to when I swapped fuel tanks from diesel FWD to the quattro fuel tank,the TDI pump is mechanical isnt it?
        Or does it have a lift pump and I've lost the wiring for somewhere along the line?
        Now chasing the no spark issue,I've got power at the coils,5v at the hall sensor (which is new),the crank sensors are wired correctly and the timing is spot on,I feel like I'm missing something

Comment

The 208 Pump relay needs to be activated by the ECU, but you can pop the cover off and manually close it to test.
          Not sure on the wiring configuration for the TDI relay. I would expect the actual pump wiring to be common, after all it just a +12v & ground.
          Sure the polarity of the hall sensor is correct? From memory 3B and ABY/AAN are inverted.
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

The relay is clicking when it's turning over,it's numbered 202,not sure if this needs to be replaced with a 208 or later 372?
            will have a dig and see if I can find a feed,I think it should be a 10a fused feed for the pump from s13 or s15 on the fuse board.
            I've tried swapping polarity with no success,unless the new hall sensor is a dud....

Comment

I had a no start issue when fitting new crank and engine speed sensors due to O rings around the sensor keeping it too far away from the teeth,
              Finally noticed the problem removing the sensors from my other car.
              Fuel pump wire connects to the bottom of the fuse box on H87F this is the output from fuse 13.
              I have the opposite problem on my saloon, the fuel pump works with the ignition all the time need to get it looked at.
              As Alex said cam position polarity is different on ABY also looks like there is a difference on polarity on G4?

sensors.jpg

Comment

Looks like we're getting somewhere
                Interesting about the G4
                Although surely the polarity should be correct if I've swapped the 3b loom pins at the ecu connector?
                I think what's burning my noggin out is the fact it's a 3b loom but aby engine and ecu

Comment

Even if you have done ABY connection at ECU plug you should still check G4 at the bulkhead connector to check pin 1 is purple wire and pin 2 is red wire.

Comment

The crank sensors are VR so getting the polarity wrong will mean you’re reading the wrong side of the wave form - often won’t cause a non-start (not sure about Motronic) but certainly will cause timing problems - timing drift with rpm.
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

It's all food for thought
                      Will have another look through everything with a fresh head,I'm pretty sure the fuel pump situation will be easy enough to resolve now I've got a bit more info.
                      As for the no spark it has to be a triggering problem,will hopefully get to the bottom of it

Comment

Whose info have you used for the swop?
                        What coil loom are you using?
                        Last edited by twoqu; 25 March 2019, 13:11.

Comment

I used the pinout info from S2 central,I'm using one of Alex's tfsi conversion looms

Comment

The one for the 3b conversion not the ABY?
                            Others have used Paul's info without issue so as long as everything is in the right place and you have added the necesaary coil trigger wires it should function.

Comment

Yup Add has the 3B setup
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X