Electrical problems getting worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical problems getting worse

Symptoms have been the dash lights (handbrake, abs and another red dash light) started glowing after the key has been removed as if there is still some power through the ignition. This seems to be setting off the alarm due to the current draw. I've currently got the glovebox and radio out and I removed the trim under the dash on the driver's side. I've also got the instrument cluster loose so I can play with the wiring at the back. Then the glowing turned into fully lit (two red dash lights) as if the ignition was switched on.
    I tried disconnecting the blue multiplug to the instrument cluster and this stopped the lights glowing. I ran the car with this disconnected and the only part of the instrument cluster which worked was the ambient temperature display. Then I drove with the lights switched on and the rev counter started working and I had all sorts of autocheck signs appearing.
    I've reconnected the plug and run the car for another couple of days with the dash lights remaining lit after the key is removed. Then last night, stopped in a carpark, switched off, key out, engine kept running. Had to stall the car to stop it. Had to do the same again when I got home. Battery is now dead due to the current draw, I know I should have disconnected.
    Anyone have any suggestions. I believe it must be a short on the ignition wiring but I'm unsure where to start. While trying to kill the engine I pulled the multiplug off the back of the ignition barrel with no effect. I'm guessing that it could be the ignition relay, if there is one, but I can't find it's location.
    I'm not the best at reading wiring diagrams but I'm going to try and track the wiring from the ignition barrel. Would someone please let me know some details on the wiring for the ignition (wiring colours, live or not, relay locations).
    Any information gratefully received. I think there was someone else with a similar problem previously, but I can't find the post.

Thanks

Alistair

Been doing some further searching on the forum and, unless someone tells me otherwise, I think there are two, maybe three, possible culprits.
    Ignition Switch - Can someone point me in the right direction for the wiring. Need to know the function of each of the wires. Also, which part fails? There's a multi plug at the back, is it this or is there a switch closer to the barrel?
    X-Relief Relay - I've seen a post that this is in the fusebox under the bonnet and it's location is listed on the fusebox lid. Is this correct, car is a 94 ABY.
    Fusebox itself - After reading some of the posts relating to Ben's fusebox meltdown, I am concerned that this may be at fault.

Alistair

Comment

This might be of some help to you:
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair E View Post
        X-Relief Relay - I've seen a post that this is in the fusebox under the bonnet and it's location is listed on the fusebox lid. Is this correct, car is a 94 ABY.
        Alistair
        That's correct. It's the one with the number 213 on the top. Top row, second in from the right.

Comment

Thanks for the help but it turned out it was nothing to do with the relay.
          Started removing fuses and relays one by one until I found something that stoped the dash lights glowing. It would, of course, be one of the last ones and was fuse 21 (after run pump, abs and oil cooler something (can't remember off the top of my head)). When removing and reconnecting this fuse I could hear the abs clicking, this is with the ignition off. Something was obviously live which shouldn't be. I wasn't sure if it was going to be a short in the wiring or if I had a fault on the fusebox but decided I would hope it was the wiring.
          As there are only three things run off the fuse I started with the after run pump. Pulled the connector off the the back of the pump with no effect. Traced the wiring from the connector back to one of the round multiplug connectors on the bulkhead. While trying to get the connector apart, the lights glowed dimly, the brightly, then off.
          Disconnected the plug and found water inside. You could see the track marks and pitting between two pins. Cleaned up, dried up and all is well again. Don't know how the water got in, both rubber boots are in good condition, but will keep an I on it for a while.
          I also found the source of my water leak which has been getting worse. After run pump was leaking and does not appear to be working. I checked how to test and one method quoted was to hold it while someone turns on the ignition. Did this but couln't feel anything. Guess I'm contacting the Bosch dealer. I checked part no's and someone quoted no 0-392-020-054 for an identical pump direct from bosch. Would someone please confirm this is correct.
          Thanks for the help

Alistair

Comment

Congratulations to you on finding the fault, well worth the perseverance to get it resolved even if it did take a fair bit of your time.

As for the Bosch number, I'll try to confirm that for you. What year/model is your car?

Hmm. The Bosch catalogue I have lists the part number as a water pump, but I can't find any ref to the VAG number. Its not listed under any of the specific parts for an S2 either. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

VAG number should be 034 965 561 C.
            Last edited by Nuvo; 16 August 2007, 11:56.

Comment

Well done Alistair! Glad you found the fault, would you care to take a pic or describe the exact location of the connector for future seachers?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

GSF, £65 part no. 17072 WATER PUMP-ADDITIONAL ACOUPQ 5 Cyl 2.2 S2 20V 9/90 >

or

Euro car parts, 89 quid, part no. 201440500 WATER PUMP T25/T4/A100/A200/A6/A8
                Electric pump

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

Just spoken to the not so local bosch dealer. Part no would appear to be correct but the price wasn't that attractive at £101.82+vat. Looks like its GSF.
                  I will try to take a photo tonight and post it tomorrow.

Alistair

Comment

Ok, just phoned the Liverpool branch of GSF. Said I wanted to check the price of a part and that I was a member of a Forum which gave 10% discount. He asked where, I told him. He then quoted £65+vat which included the 10% discount. I queried this saying that was the price on the website without discount. He said he could go as low as £62.50.
                    I am right in thinking that the £65 is before discount, aren't I?

Alistair

Comment

very interesting!!!!!!

i cant believe this i have very similar symptoms on my 1994 aby s2 also, when removing the key from the ignition mine also glows aswell but never drains the battery, it intermittently effects the alarm and is very annoying as it goes off at 2 o clock in the morning!! i bet the neighbours love me!!! please can you tell me the exact location of the wire and what pins to look at????? i was beggining to think it might be the alarm. what does the after run pump actually do???? my cousin works for gsf and he might be able to get extra discount!!! any help would be appreciated mate all the best steve..

Comment

Ok, just phoned the Liverpool branch of GSF. Said I wanted to check the price of a part and that I was a member of a Forum which gave 10% discount. He asked where, I told him. He then quoted £65+vat which included the 10% discount. I queried this saying that was the price on the website without discount. He said he could go as low as £62.50.
                        I am right in thinking that the £65 is before discount, aren't I?

Alistair
                        Yeh price on website is before discount. Cheeky scouser

Try the Birmingham branch in castle vale or head office in Heathrow

Comment

Steve

Hopefully I'll post a photo tomorrow or give a better description. The connectors are mounted on the bulkhead about 1ft right of centre as you look from the front of the car. There are two connectors mounted next to each other, it was the left hand one which gave the problems. The connectors are round and the wires run vertically. Hopefully this gives you enough info to find them.
                          The dash lights on mine glowed initially, but it obviously began to make more of a contact until the wires became fully live. It was as if the keys were still in the ignition complete with autocheck signs. Try pulling fuse 21, I think it was the one furthest from the offside wing. If it's the same sort of problem, the dash lights should go out.
                          I pulled every relay under the dash first, then made my way to the fusebox. Trial and error, but it eventually gave me something to work on.
                          The after run pump cools the turbo, if necessary, after the ignition is switched off. It's a safety feature to stop the turbo cooking itself.
                          Hope that helps.
                          If you're able to get extra discount it would be gratefully received. Let me know if you have any luck.

Cheers

Alistair

Comment

The after run pump cools the turbo, if necessary, after the ignition is switched off. It's a safety feature to stop the turbo cooking itself.
                            Hope that helps.
                            If you're able to get extra discount it would be gratefully received. Let me know if you have any luck.

Cheers

Alistair
                            That's it's secondary function

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23819

Comment

Not sure I buy into this new fangled theory about the afterrun pump purging air from hot coolant. Reason being I have owned many Audis with and without turbos... They all had the afterrun system which spun the radiator fan after a hot run, but only the I5 20V Turbo engine has the afterrun water pump AFAIK. Why should this engine be more prone to air bubbles in the coolant than all the other engines ?

The afterrun water pump circulates coolant in the reverse direction to normal flow and I always thought its primary function was to push water thru the turbo after a hot run to prolong its life.

Maybe I'm wrong here but its how I see things right now !

Paul
                              Paul Nugent
                              Webmaster http://S2central.net
                              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Working...
                              X