Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no ignition

hi guy's
    my rs2 was working fine this morning until i switch off the ignition,then notice all the lights went out including radio.normally the radio plays without ignition on,now i have no ignition or any electrical power coming through when i turn the key.so car now will not start.i have checked the battery and it seem to have full power.
    the question is does these cars have a ignition module if so where about is it located?

could it be something like bad earthing?

fuse?

any imput to get to the problem is welcome
    Last edited by david; 22 December 2012, 16:41.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]/SIGPIC]92 3B pearl white=gone back home to Germany,probably in bits and pieces

RS2 VOLCANO BLACK] soon to be broken to bits

Probably the ignition switch...
    http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
      Probably the ignition switch...
      but radio does not work on ignition,so how come that is not working.
      so can't be igniton switch
      [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]/SIGPIC]92 3B pearl white=gone back home to Germany,probably in bits and pieces

Comment

He means ignition switch as in the electrical part of the ignition barrel. Sounds like the fault is there to me too.

On a more modern car i would suspect a main fuse, usually big 30amp or 60amp jobbies, not aware of our cars having them, i think the power goes directly from battery into the fuse box.
        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
          He means ignition switch as in the electrical part of the ignition barrel. Sounds like the fault is there to me too.

On a more modern car i would suspect a main fuse, usually big 30amp or 60amp jobbies, not aware of our cars having them, i think the power goes directly from battery into the fuse box.
          but radio normally plays without having the ignition on,so that can't be it.more likely to be a big fuse like you said or something.

Comment

You don't know that your ADU engine has FIVE ignition coils?? Wow. You need to do a lot of reading about your RS2.

But first, you need to check/replace your ignition switch, using a version of this procedure:

http://12v.org/urs/IgnitionSwitchReplacementDIY.pdf

When you get time, you should read up about your ADU engine, using this AAN Engine Map with live label hyperlinks (AAN and ADU are very very similar):

http://members.shaw.ca/speedtek/UrS%...ice%20Map.html

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
              You don't know that your ADU engine has FIVE ignition coils?? Wow. You need to do a lot of reading about your RS2.

But first, you need to check/replace your ignition switch, using a version of this procedure:

http://12v.org/urs/IgnitionSwitchReplacementDIY.pdf

When you get time, you should read up about your ADU engine, using this AAN Engine Map with live label hyperlinks (AAN and ADU are very very similar):

http://members.shaw.ca/speedtek/UrS%...ice%20Map.html

i meant to say module.
              i do know that's our cars have 5 coils thank you.

but why radio or side light don't come on?,these things don't work on ignition
              Last edited by david; 24 December 2012, 18:13.

Comment

Radio is hard to say without knowing where its wired into. The ignition switch has influence over the accessory power, if you turn the key on/off it keeps a lot of things running until you physically remove the key. Interior light circuit also has a time out of ~ 30 seconds after you remove the key, so thats looking at the switch too. I think the elecy window switch, and main dash switch illumination are on the same circuit too. Side lights switch mode too with the key removed, they act as parking lights deepening on which side indicator was on at the time. If any of the three positions in the ignition switch play up, any of the above could do strange things too.

Is the clock working, or hazard warning, or anything else powered up without the key in place?
                91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

the car as no power at all,nothing is working at the minutes
                  but the only thing i've not tried is the hazard light

Comment

where you checked the battery?
                    Maibe 1 off the battery clamps is corroded inside and not providing good contact with the battery terminal....till the moment you stopped the car...the power came from the alternator...
                    Remove the battery terminals and clean them...just a thought..

Comment

Check the big ground cable were is connected at the chassis...maybe is corroded also...
                      Goodluck!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirvu Eugen View Post
                        Check the big ground cable were is connected at the chassis...maybe is corroded also...
                        Goodluck!
                        thanks guy's will give it a clean and also check earthing wire
                        but i still think something is gone on the car,and will probably need changing.

Comment

As above, battery/earth strap and ignition switch. As Mark said, the ignition switch controls a accessory functions. IIRC the stereo doesn't work until you turn the key. Once the ignition is turned on, you can switch it off again and the stereo will stay on with the ignition turned off until you take the key out.
                          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            As above, battery/earth strap and ignition switch. As Mark said, the ignition switch controls a accessory functions. IIRC the stereo doesn't work until you turn the key. Once the ignition is turned on, you can switch it off again and the stereo will stay on with the ignition turned off until you take the key out.
                            so is the ignition switch located in the barral or around the steering column?

Comment

sorry to state the obvious but if you have 0 power there must be a feed problem from the battery , how did you test the battery ?
                              NOT a car dealer! just an S2/RS2 enthusiast

Comment

Working...
                              X