Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relayed H4 Headlamps

Right, I have been pulling my hair out over this

I have done a new Standalone Lighting Harness for the headlights and another one for the Lamp pod.

The lamp pod workd fine and has done from day one.
    The Relayed headlamp loom has not though ?

This is exactly the same design of loom as I have used on lots of VW`s.
    1 5 pin Relay for Dipped beam
    1 5 pin Relay for Main Beam.
    2 Relay sockets,
    2 Fuses in 30 feed
    3 wires with Male spade connectors plug into NS (LH) H4 bulb connector, these are the 2 switch feeds, 1 for each relay, and relay earth(common to both).

New H4 Bulb connectors
    2 87 pins on each relay, feed for RH & LH, Hi And Lo beam

Remaining socket on H4 Connector, earth, linked across RH & LH Lights, then to ground.

This is the way I have always done it, because if there is a problem, you can change back to standard loom in 2 minutes, also you can remove from the car easily when you come to sell it

Problem is:

Low beam comes in ok, hi beam comes on but does not go off.
    Same with flash.
    Turning lights off completely and back on resets everything until you touch high beam again

Flash on its own without the light switch on works as it should....

What am I doing wrong ?
    Is there something specific I have to do on this car ?
    I am pulling my hair out with it now
    I have checked continuity with A DMM, and all the wires are connected where they should be, I have tried different relays and swappped them into the Pod Loom and they all work as they should ?

I am totally lost for an answer now

Any sparkies out there know what I am doing wrong, or anyone want to send me a number and talk me through troubleshooting it tomorrow ?

As Always, any help gratefully received
    Cheers
    Dom

Does the car have autocheck ?

This can cause problems.
    Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

A wiring diagram would help!
      It would make it easier for you (and us) to (help) diagnose the problem!

Regards
      Carlo

Originally posted by CR500Dom

I have done a new Standalone Lighting Harness for the headlights and another one for the Lamp pod.

2 Relay sockets,
      2 Fuses in 30 feed
      3 wires with Male spade connectors plug into NS (LH) H4 bulb connector, these are the 2 switch feeds, 1 for each relay, and relay earth(common to both).

New H4 Bulb connectors

Remaining socket on H4 Connector, earth, linked across RH & LH Lights, then to ground.

This is the way I have always done it, because if there is a problem, you can change back to standard loom in 2 minutes, also you can remove from the car easily when you come to sell it

Problem is:

Same with flash.
      Turning lights off completely and back on resets everything until you touch high beam again

What am I doing wrong ?
      I have checked continuity with A DMM, and all the wires are connected where they should be, I have tried different relays and swappped them into the Pod Loom and they all work as they should ?

Any sparkies out there know what I am doing wrong, or anyone want to send me a number and talk me through troubleshooting it tomorrow ?

Cheers
      Dom
      No power, no glory!
      S4 Avant, 2003, K&N-filter, 18", RNS-E, enough audio

Comment

2 Relay sockets,
        2 Fuses in 30 feed

New H4 Bulb connectors

Problem is:

Same with flash.

What am I doing wrong ?

Cheers
        Dom
        Post a diagram of what circuit you built with those relays - its impossible to work out from the text what you have done... but something must be wrong if the main beam relays are latched on.

Paul
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Bad ground somewhere?

I'd guess the relay earth you're getting from the old H4 connector is a bad ground or theres a bit of current leaking between the 2 circuits. If it is a fault with the car wiring you should be able to see the headlight glowing if you go back to a stock bulb setup. It doesn't take much current to hold the relay in.

I'm going to make myself one of these looms soon, have just ordered some Philips Vision Plus H4s and some Xenon Ultrawhites, going to do a comparo..

Where do you get your relays and H4 connectors from? Is there a source online?
          Last edited by newsh; 21 December 2004, 09:32.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Ok ,
            I have changed the ground wire from H4 Connector to Battery grond, still no difference.
            The standard vehicle wiring is still intact and works as directed, I am unsure whether there is a relay in the standard circuit that is being interfered with by my new circuit and where it is fitted in the loom.
            I have also run it attached to 2 H4 golf headlights while wired in to the audi loom, still does the same thing

Wiring Diagram shamelessley Nicked and modified from www.20v.org

Hope this helps explain ?
            Cheers
            Dom

Comment

Originally posted by newsh

I'm going to make myself one of these looms soon, have just ordered some Philips Vision Plus H4s and some Xenon Ultrawhites, going to do a comparo..

Where do you get your relays and H4 connectors from? Is there a source online?
              www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk has everything you will need

Comment

Circuit looks absolutely fine if that's what you have built...

I remember fitting a similar relay loom on my old Type85 GT Coupe and it had a UK specific 'dim-dip' relay annoyance which had to be disconnected. I'm sure this is NOT fitted to UK S2's however.

Checked all grounds are OK and you haven't got a loop/short somewhere that is tricking a relay ON ?

Also wonder is it related to Autocheck - try diss'ing it and testing again...

Paul
                Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
                  Circuit looks absolutely fine if that's what you have built...

I remember fitting a similar relay loom on my old Type85 GT Coupe and it had a UK specific 'dim-dip' relay annoyance which had to be disconnected. I'm sure this is NOT fitted to UK S2's however.

Checked all grounds are OK and you haven't got a loop/short somewhere that is tricking a relay ON ?

Also wonder is it related to Autocheck - try diss'ing it and testing again...

Paul
                  Ah yes but would the dim dip relay be fitted to an `88 10v90Q

All Grounds check out OK, loom was built with new wire, new Crimp terminals, new relays and Heatshrink insulation, with Dielectric grease on all connectors.
                  All run through Braided sleeving for protection with heatshrink sealed ends.

No "Scotchlocks" in this loom

I`ll try and kill the auto check, but its not actually showing a fault...which may be the problem in itself ?

Cheers
                  Dom

Comment

Maybe - my Type85 was 1987, and it was some sill UK legislation that brought the 'dim-dip' system. Seemingly it has been deleted by way of some newer fangled rulings from the empty suits in Brussels.

Paul
                    Paul Nugent

Comment

I had dim dip on my 89 100TQ FWIW so could be that.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh
                        I had dim dip on my 89 100TQ FWIW so could be that.
                        Lookslike Mine has got Dim Dip, and according to this site: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jim_has...ch/cables.html

It Caused Phil a problem too

Now still reading the site but as of yet cant work out how to disable this function ?
                        I am not bothered by it, I would much rather have decent dip and main beam lights than Dip Dip on Sidelight
                        If its dark enough for lights I`ll run with Dipped

I`ll have a look for the pink relay mentioned and remove it to see if that does it ?

Any other suggestions ?
                        Cheers
                        Dom

Comment

I quite like the dim dip. I can sneak in easier late at night.
                          SS

Comment

www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk has everything you will need

Ta

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X