Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'94 S2 misfire. (info needed before fri lunch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

definatly sounds like the problm i was having identical symptoms read a few of my threads and you'll see,best to start cheap like djavants always telling me get a set of the rubber boot things that go in between the coil pack and the spark plug they perish inside from the heat,oh and change the spark plugs to a nise set of platinum tip one's ot should be running fine after that.
    Last edited by kingos2; 13 August 2005, 18:48.

Comment

Update
      Audi had the car, and found a boost leak between the turbo and inlet somewhere.
      I couldnt really see half of it when i looked it over as i didnt want to spend hours removing all the stupid covers.. but I did block the intake and the hoses did start to collapse, however obviously leaking on boost is different to leaking off boost...

The car is now "better" but still missing a little bit and at higher rpm..
      I have suggested to him perhaps the ECU needs time to settle down after spending time with an airleak.. i believe they run motronic? not sure what version, but the motronic in my car will "learn" and adapt its map to suit the sensor readouts to a certain degree..
      I have also found out that he has been running it on 95 octane.. I've advised to run it dry and use only super/97 etc... but whats the specific with this car? is it a high octane only engine? or did audi somehow make it so its happy on 95 despite the high boost??
      I'm guessing with the 97 and a bit of time it will now be fine.. but thought i'd let you know what it was, and hear your opinion on fuels.. i'd never run my car standard on 95 let alone tuned, and i think this s2 is alledgedly tuned abit, although i have no idea how etc.. it looks all pretty standard.. can you just replace the chips in them without uprating it any other way, or is there anything else people usually do for a quick boost?(no pun intended) it seems to be working off a boost control valve and external wastegate which i presume is normal setup.

Comment

mileage?
        Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
        England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

sounds like coilpacks unless i missed something up above.
          at idle its not really gonna show, under load and more importantly boost, its harder to maintain the spark, so they will have to work harder, which is why it will then start playing up.
          Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
          2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

I don't know the miles actually. lol...
            the misfire is now not noticable to most.. and only when driven VERY hard.. hence my thought about the fuel etc... it only seems higher rpm too now, not just on boost, above the 4-5k i'd expect an ignition problem to show...

so what petrols do you all use? could 95 cause this if it's det'ing or does your ecu show a fault on knock? i know mine dont just cuts back a bit.

Comment

Did you get to the end of the issue? What was it?

Comment

Originally posted by s@. View Post
                I don't know the miles actually. lol...
                the misfire is now not noticable to most.. and only when driven VERY hard.. hence my thought about the fuel etc... it only seems higher rpm too now, not just on boost, above the 4-5k i'd expect an ignition problem to show...

so what petrols do you all use? could 95 cause this if it's det'ing or does your ecu show a fault on knock? i know mine dont just cuts back a bit.
                Definitely run super unleaded on these. As for driving hard and getting this I had issues with the stock coils and it was like night and day once I switched to modern coil packs and one of Error404 's wiring harnesses that are plug n play.

I have spare stock coils, but had recurring issues with them and the coil pack boots.
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Hya Greg, I’m guessing that if I buy 1 x brand new BERU coil from eBay or online etc, I can fit just one of them, and wire it in where the ‘suspected faulty one is’ to use with my 4 old original Audi OEM BERU ones? I have a feeling that Cylinder #2 is the culprit, as the #2 spark plug is more ‘sooty’ than the other 4 !

What do you think buddy ?
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

I have a good original coil pack set you can have for that price plus postage.
                    Or. I have 5 good OE tsfi coils for £100 and buy the conversion harness from Error404.

​​​​​​

Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by UUUdirs2newcastle View Post
                      Hya Greg, I’m guessing that if I buy 1 x brand new BERU coil from eBay or online etc, I can fit just one of them, and wire it in where the ‘suspected faulty one is’ to use with my 4 old original Audi OEM BERU ones? I have a feeling that Cylinder #2 is the culprit, as the #2 spark plug is more ‘sooty’ than the other 4 !

What do you think buddy ?
                      For the cost of a single original coil I’d spend the extra 80-100 and convert to modern coils as this eliminates the need for the two power output stages on the bulk head, you get stronger spark, replacement coils are cheap and you don’t have to worry about it anymore.

Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                        Or. I have 5 good OE tsfi coils for £100 and buy the conversion harness from Error404.
                        I have the said harness waiting for some coils... can I take them of your hands?

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post
                          I have the said harness waiting for some coils... can I take them of your hands?
                          With postage costs I think you can buy cheaper at home?
                          Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Would a leak from one of the little 3.5mm vacuum hoses that are all over the engine cause this if there was one perished? They all seem a little iffy. Probably 26 years old !

Comment

I have just changed one of my coils for a brand new BERU one, I put it on number 2 spark, as that one looked the most sooted up, but the car is the same. :-( It still feels like it’s missing when I go past 4,000 rpm more that 1/2 throttle.

Comment

If I drive the RS2 all the way up to 5500rpm with just half throttle, through the gears, it feels ok. But as soon as you give it some welly, it’s just flat and feels like it’s misfiring.

Comment

Working...
                                X