Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mtm Ecu

Question for the ECU reprogramming gurus here -

My 3B S2 was MTM'ed by the previous owner. It's great, really flies, and I love the performance (and flames)

The trouble with this place though is that it puts ideas in your head...

Having read about Pauls Homefries, and Minheas on-the-fly remapping successes, I was just wondering if either of these would offer anything more performance-wise over what MTM have already done?

Are the only gains to be had from now on expensive mechanical alterations, eg Turbo, cams etc? I've not replaced the air filter for a ConeHead, would that do anything? Would the ECU need adjusting if something like that was fitted?

Got to stop modding...
    Got to stop modding...
    Got to stop modding...
    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

hmm... nobody answered your questions, but I hope someone will as I'm curious too. I would like to get my baby chipped soon but am not thinking of upgrading engine parts yet, except for air filter (cone). I don't think that alone would require remapping but a remap wouldn't hurt, especially if you modify some more stuff.
    I always heard MTM have good chips and Superchips kinda suck, what about Digitec, are they any good?
    Also, what air-intake replacement would you guys recommend?
    Someone answer our questions please
    *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
    Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Well iam sure i'll be corrected if iam wrong but!

Maybe the best re-map would be for Mihnea to do it on the fly so to speak? Actually in the car. The stock turbo is the first limiting factor i belive and wil have its limits about 280BHP is i think! Now if MTM have achived arround that with also a similar tourque figure too, then remapping again wouldn't gain much? maybe better drivability? But tourque is also very important too!! Not just BHP! but BHP does matter too!

Generic maps are available but ar'nt finley tuned to the car! (not possible to create a map to finley suite every car which have slightly different tollerences?) but they are very good! (i have one myself!)

If you already have a MTM map and are happy with it then i would personally leave it as it is because the cost of a remap against the improvemnt would'nt be worth it i dont think, but if you were to add turbo and manifold for instance then more tourqe and power can be unleashed!! now were talking!

I fitted a pannal K&N filter to my ABY as stock, and did notice a difference! A remap wouldnt be required for just an air filter i dont think?
      Money is everything! Second to Power of course!!! But money breeds power??

Comment

Agreed. Dont remap your already-mapped car unless you do other upgrades. I would suggest you take a leaf out of Gregs book for an impressive next step. Hybrid turbo, RS2 EM, bigger intercooler, bigger injectors.

We had a lot of trouble mapping my car recently so I can only strress how important it is to make sure your car is ready for treatment. Check that fuelling is not impeded by old components such as fuel filters, dodgy injectors and the like. Make sure too that the intake system can take a power hike. Check for leaks including the dump valve because all of this can cause trouble if not 100%. Mihnea had a lot of patience mapping my car as we couldn't fathom what the problem was. A dirty MAF was a major culprit but also the fuel system could not cope with increased demand.

Mihnea can only come very highly recomended. His patience and desire to get things right are befitting of his talent as a remapper. He certainly knows his stuff so I can definately recomend him if you decide to go for increased power. Top man!!

HTH

Lee
        1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
        Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Originally posted by *ZenithalRavage*
          hmm... nobody answered your questions, but I hope someone will as I'm curious too. I would like to get my baby chipped soon but am not thinking of upgrading engine parts yet, except for air filter (cone). I don't think that alone would require remapping but a remap wouldn't hurt, especially if you modify some more stuff.
          I always heard MTM have good chips and Superchips kinda suck, what about Digitec, are they any good?
          Also, what air-intake replacement would you guys recommend?
          Someone answer our questions please

Digitec chips are nothing but MTM racing chips copies, no knock sensor function anymore, and I know several people who have totally destroyed 3B engines with those. For ABYs they haven't done much as MTM didn't do any racing chips apparently...

Thanks for the good feedback Lee, I am patient indeed, and I think that while tuning your car sometime around 4 am I've figured how much I love what I'm doing, I mean there's no way in hell I'd have been so patient if I didn't love my job!

'98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
          info@MRCTuning.com
          Workshop Directions

Comment

Dan -

When the car is bone stock, you can scare up some cheap ponies by buying a Stage I chip. Your MTM is I am sure a great Stage I chip and I have never heard Mihnea knock MTM.

Re-chipping at this point just won't give that much more. Now you need to add some neat hardware to give the chip tuner a larger envelope to work within.

So save your pennies and invest in a larger IC, or better exhaust system, or whatever your budget allows. When you reach the point when you know you can wring more power out of the hardware, give Mihnea a shout.

Welcome to the world of HP junkies

Comment

Originally posted by Mihnea
              Digitec chips are nothing but MTM racing chips copies, no knock sensor function anymore, and I know several people who have totally destroyed 3B engines with those.
              hmm.. so if I go for a stage 1 chip MTM is the best way?
              Any dutch folks here who know where I should be for that?
              Anyway, if I had some other hardware I would let you map my baby Mihnea

*ZR* S2 R.I.P.
              Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Originally posted by *ZenithalRavage*
                hmm.. so if I go for a stage 1 chip MTM is the best way?
                Any dutch folks here who know where I should be for that?
                Anyway, if I had some other hardware I would let you map my baby Mihnea

Given the price of an MTM stage 1 chipset, and due to the fact that I don't only remap highly modified engines (somehow, Thank God), why not go for a real time remap session for now? If we do this, I'll do a much nicer price for you once you decide to upgrade your engine
                Last edited by Mihnea; 24 December 2003, 18:14.
                '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                info@MRCTuning.com
                Workshop Directions

Comment

Originally posted by Mihnea
                  Cees, given the price of an MTM stage 1 chipset, and due to the fact that I don't only remap highly modified engines (somehow, Thank God), why not go for a real time remap session for now? If we do this, I'll do a much nicer price for you once you decide to upgrade your engine
                  oh! hmm....
                  You know, that's sounds like a pretty good idea. Tell you what, when I get all my "little" things sorted out I'll give you a hoot

The "little" things I'm talking about are (and in order of treatment):
                  * MOT passing (I had a pisshead MOT-officer or whatever you call 'm, fixings next week);
                  * Fix false alarm's (gonna tweak it next week, hopefully it won't need more work than that);
                  * custom exhaust (in 2 weeks);
                  * replacement air filter (somewhere in january I hope);
                  * fix the Aircon! (february?);
                  * fix the on-board compu (when? hmm.. low priority as of now).

I'm also thinking of new and bigger brakes but I want to wear off the midget things I have now first....

So maybe in the Spring we'll get together ey? I reckon 2004 is gonna be an important year for my baby.

Greetz

ps: who is Cees?
                  *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
                  Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Don't get me wrong Dood,

If you have never had you car chipped at all, then shop around. Check what Mihnea will charge for a Stage I and compare that with MTM, Dahlback, TS and a bunch of others. I did and guess who I chose

In Dan's case, he already has the MTM and was wondering about a re-mapping. What I meant was that his chip has a good rep and that re-mapping at this time probably wasn't going to give that much more.

What you might NOT want to do is buy a "no name" or "El Cheapo" brand from Ebay.

Comment

Thanks for the comments everybody - it does seem to me that the only way for me to go now for more HP is mechanical...

Would a K&N Cone filter make any/much difference? I've already got the de-catted Scorpion exhaust, which is great for spitting flames

Just a query though - does the (MTM'ed) ECU automatically handle the effects of lower back pressure/increased air flow that occurs from putting on a sports exhaust/better air filter, or does it need additional re-mapping to take advantage? I can certainly see that if a bigger turbo were installed it would need it?

I can feel a rolling road session coming on I think!
                      Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Dan,
                        a freer flow intake will only make the turbo "suck" in better, thus allowing it to boost same pressure at slightly less spinning velocityes. This happens because pressure coming out of the turbo (P2t) is setted by the ECU, so unless you dont remap, boost will stay the same. As a matter of fact turbocharger compression work is affected by its "INLET PRESSURE" (P1t) and its "OUTLET PRESSURE" (P2t), and more precisely is P2t/P1t which determines compressor impeller velocity. If you rise P1t (using a freer flow intake) since P2t will stay the same, compressor will spin slower at same intake maifold boost.

If you use a freer flow exhaust, instead, you'll gain:

1) les turbo lag due to lower backpressure on turbine outlet;
                        2) better volumetric efficiency of engine because of less back pressure on the exhaust manifold thus better scavenging. At same boost levels, then, this will rise torque and power (expecially on higher rpm) accordingly with the gain in exhaust flow.

At this point, having raised engine's VE, turbocharger well need to flow proportionally more air (thus spinning at higher velocity).
                        If ECU takes the MAF values for fuelling at any rpm and throttle position (but this must be confirmed by forum's ECU experts), there shouldn't be any mixture problem.

Marco

Comment

I must have done something wrong then, because fitting the K&N filter element in the ABY 96 made it actually worse. When accelerating from low rpm it actually does nothing for a second before it accelerates. Air suction noise is of course very impressive. Did I overoil the filter element or why does it play with me? I must tell you that with NO filter inside the box it also becomes clumsy. What do you say? Of course I dont cruise around without an air filter but I had to test it.

Gabor:wacked:
                          Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

MAF

It sounds like your MAF is dirty / contaminated. remove it and soak it
                            over night in some solvent or thinners.( That i what Audi dealers do).
                            The oil from your filter has found its way onto element preventing it reaching required temp. hence sending wrong voltage values back to
                            ECU.
                            RS2 MTM

Comment

Charlie,

you were right. I cleaned the maf last week and the inlet side aluminium grid was black from dirt. I took some isopropilalkohol and fought with the temptation of drinking the whole and soaked it for a while and the car was more spontaneous afterwards. Ill try the K&N filter again.

Gabor
                              Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

Working...
                              X