No announcement yet.

Oil Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did run it in on mineral oil.i think I did like 200 miles to start with,done oil change on mineral again,then I did 400 miles,another oil change on semi synthetic ,500 miles and then I did changed to Fuchs tytan pro S 10w50.
    I have now done about 4k since rebuild.i can see any smoke.I wonder if it's because of forged pistons ???

Comment

I'm about half a litre per 1000, it needs its valve guides doing honestly, just not that bothered

Comment

Mine had no oil consumption till 170TKm, after LPG conversion it begun to eat 1lt for every 5000km, but that is to be expected since LPG clean all the carbon deposits inside the engine! 130Tkm on LPG and a compression check showed a very healthy engine and oil consumption as been stable ever since the LPG 130TKm ago!

Comment

Originally posted by piotr
          I did run it in on mineral oil.i think I did like 200 miles to start with,done oil change on mineral again,then I did 400 miles,another oil change on semi synthetic ,500 miles and then I did changed to Fuchs tytan pro S 10w50.
          I have now done about 4k since rebuild.i can see any smoke.I wonder if it's because of forged pistons ???
          You can see smoke? Or you can’t??

Maybe it’s leaking?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

No-i can't see any smoke.i have got slight leak from the half moon on the back of the rocker cover witch is annoying as it was brand new gasket set.

Comment

what make off turbo have you got ? is it a Chinese copy.

Comment

Of course there can be some oil consuption with forged pistons and bigger clearances. You cant compare to a stock engine. But anyway 1l/1000km is quite much... aah, normal on TFSI engines of course.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Originally posted by psiconauta911 View Post
                  Mine had no oil consumption till 170TKm, after LPG conversion it begun to eat 1lt for every 5000km, but that is to be expected since LPG clean all the carbon deposits inside the engine! 130Tkm on LPG and a compression check showed a very healthy engine and oil consumption as been stable ever since the LPG 130TKm ago!
                  I am at 400 000 km with LPG on RS2 setup and get a puff of smoke at cold engine ~ 40C , once warm the car does not smoke ( apart from tyres ) , oil consumption is about 2 l for 10 000 km, I changed turbo ( again ) recently so not sure .

I also have a feeling that rebuild head has a leaking valve stem seal ,it has bout 60 000 km on it ... will look into it spring time

that is on 10w60 Bardahl .

Comment

Originally posted by LSG View Post
                    what make off turbo have you got ? is it a Chinese copy.
                    No itd Borg Wagner turbo mate.

Comment

Was about 1 litre per 1000 miles on the old engine and is now tiny after I fixed a small leak.

Do a compression test and at least you'll know. Mine used to smoke on cold start for about 10s then clear as cyl4 had a worn ring.

10w50 oil or 10w60 on old engine. Thinner oil doesn't protect the turbo as well if you drive it hard.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC
                      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Thank you for that Rusty

Comment

Working...
                        X