This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternatives to OE Hall Senders/Cam Sensors

Those with the ABY and ADU engines might want to know that the factory Hall sender (aka Cam Position Sensor) that lives behind the (exhaust) cam drive sprocket can be replaced with a MUCH less expensive after market sender. Audi wants to sell you a new bracket with a HKZ101 sender for about 120 Pounds ( CDN$260). However, B&B Automaco has the equivalent "Cheng Yeng" senders (without the bracket) for about 5 Pounds. The model is CYHM301. Price varies by quanity (see URL below).

We (in North America) have done a number a group purchases to get the cost down and share the initial shipping cost. Maybe someone from the S2 forum in Britain should do the same (just a suggestion). (I don't know which sender would work for the 3B cars).

http://www.bbautomacao.com/Hall-HME-GTS.htm

Dave F.
    RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Damn it! i've just bought a new one today!

I bought mine OEM from bosch
    Last edited by Jamo; 15 July 2006, 00:57.

Comment

What exactly did Bosch sell you? Just the sender without the bracket? Bosch Part No. (for future reference)?

Dave F.

Comment

The whole unit mate, any bosch part on the S2 can be crossed reference and bought direct from them, including RS2 injectors.

Comment

The bosch part number is 0 232 101 020

It is identical to the Audi Hall Sensor expect the audi symbols have been ground of on the top right!

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy
            You never said what the code was. On a AAN the cam position sensor (CPS) (which is only used by the ECU during start up to provide a signal that the engine is turning over and so the the ECU can safely fire the FP relay), the fault code is 2113.

Not that you want to hear this now but two things:

1. You do not (at least on an UrS4) have to take the entire front end off to do the CPS. You do need to take enough off so you can get the cam sprocket off (with the cam belt zap-strapped to it so nothing moves). On a S2, there may not be enough clearance to do this trick.

2. I posted here recently that you (the entire S2 community) can buy just the hall sender portion for less than 10 pounds from a firm in New York city. I did a group buy for my Vancouver BC Canada club and bought 10. With shipping included they were CDN$12.13 each (about 5 pounds). I suggested somebody on the S2 forum should do a GB but nobody took it up and the thread died. It should be in the engine forum.

Hope this instigates a GB because the stealership prices are stupid.

Dave F.
            The hall sensor GB wouldnt be worth it, it doesn't come with the bracket, the pop rivets would have to be removed from the old bracket and then screwed on which i personally wouldn't be happy with.

Easier to order the complete part from bosch with which i posted the part number in your thread so it hasn't died a death so too speak

Comment

Disgree. 5 pounds versus 120 pounds (CDN$12.13 ($121.30 for 10) versus CDN$260). The replacement hall sender comes with built-in rivets that you have to expand/flatten after taking two minutes to drill out the old ones on your dead hall sender on the 115 pound (CDN$248 bracket).

But hey, I tried (to save you guys money). Do what you want. (Obviously)

Dave F.

Comment

I've moved the posts to this thread so not to clutter crawfords thread
                Last edited by Jamo; 16 July 2006, 00:30.

Comment

Back on topic, the hall sensor i got from bosch and new one's from Audi come with the
                  CYHME56 sensor and not the CYHME301 sensor.

Comment

Hmmm.. Your info is very interesting. First of all, its the CYHME301 sensor that we have bought for about 5 pounds. Without the bracket. It was supposed to be a replacement for the HKZ101 according to the supplier:

http://www.bbautomacao.com/Hall-HME-GTS.htm

Your news that the Audi part now comes with the CYHME56 sensor and not the CYHME301 sensor is a bit confusing because the CYHME56 is physically different and is supposed to replace the 2AV54, 2AV16A, 2AV51A, 2AV56, 2AV63 series.

I wonder why the change?

Dave F.

Comment

Davey, there's something wrong with your G40 description, it is not only used during startup!!!

Try to drive your car on full boost after starting it up and disconnecting the G40 and then tell me how it drives after you hit 4600 RPM, mmkay?

Cheers,

Mihnea
                      '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                      info@MRCTuning.com
                      Workshop Directions

Comment

I can tell you without the test drive. It disables the knock control and retards ignition by 6 deg and you really can feel that.

We (me and my friends) have succesfully used the Honeywell 2AV54 unit as a replacement.
                        -

Comment

Jamo,

Can you post up the difference between the Audi price and the Bosch price.
                          Clearly for those who have the ability, just replacing the sensor makes sense if there is a massive cost saving.

Comment

3 figure difference

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
                              3 figure difference
                              Yea!
                              But it depends where the decimal place is!:mischeif:

Comment

Working...
                              X