Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That yellow stuff was particularly nasty Tom.... Cannot remember the name of the tree that caused it. You couldn't survive that if you had any serious hay fever allergy.
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

The nasty visable yellow pollen is from the pine trees. Luckily the pine pollen isn't the one that causes problems for most people, but the sheer volume of it in the air is a nausance.....especially to a car guy. The pollen count in Atlanta today is just right at 1800!! 120 is considered extremely high............and pollen season is just getting started.

My poor 14 year old K&N sure does take a beating during this.

Comment

Just a thought on the different part number for RS2's, has anybody ever seen the two filters side by side? I'm curious if the RS2 was thicker, i.e. more surface area. Though my copy of the album list the same part no for both
        91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
        93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
        94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Originally posted by mcandmar View Post
          Just a thought on the different part number for RS2's, has anybody ever seen the two filters side by side? I'm curious if the RS2 was thicker, i.e. more surface area. Though my copy of the album list the same part no for both
          If you are referring to me stating above a difference of part numbers, I was meaning on aftermarket panel filters, specifically K&N and not the OEM part number for the paper element.
          That is the same for ABY and ADU (191 129 620).

Why K&N would have two versions for one application? no idea, but they are different.
          ABY filter is thicker than the RS2 filter and smidgen longer .

Still yet to clean my MAF after 5 years on a K&N.
          For those having to constantly clean the MAF when running an oiled filter, suggest they stop soaking it in a gallon of crude for a week before installing it, or that they buy a new MAF, cos the burn off sequence triggered when the engine is switched off is goosed.
          2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
          2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
          1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Splash some carb cleaner down there when you clean the filter
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Is there a better solution that the K&N oiled air filter and OEM air filter? Thanks a lot!
              Bye

Alessio
              My life and my loves

Audi-Porsche Avant RS2
              Audi S6 C4 ABT Avant
              Audi S2 Coupe ABY
              Audi S2 Avant
              Audi Cabriolet 2.0E

Comment

Nothing wrong with a clean paper OEM filter... and they are very cheap enough to change as often as you like.
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                  How well are these foam ones made? Heard of them being sucked apart but that could all be BS.
                  I use an ITG in my car, i think its made from a polyurethane foam (so can be oiled un like the piper cross) . I even swapped out the K&N that was already installed to my car.

Its made up of 3 layers of foam, each layer having a smaller pattern than the previous..

The top of the filter also has a steel wire square cross mesh for strength (and I assume to catch any small animals that might get sucked in there )

seems strong enough to me, tho be careful not to bend it out of shape.

seems to be a quality and well thought out product. Miles superior than a piper cross.

And as for the K&N, If I hold it up to the light, I can see thru it! unlike the ITG.

I did notice a slight loss in induction roar compared to the K&N but thats besides the point.

So personally, I think the ITG is the better filter.. better at filtering partials, better at filtering light , and better at passing air with much less restriction. (hence the reduction in roar)

I wouldn't swap it for anything.

BTW, have you seen ITG's 'Maxogen' kits? They are carbon air box/filter, with cold air feed? :mischeif:

If I ever go EFi, thats what i'm getting next.
                  C4 A6 AEL avant quattro: daily

TYPE-85 Coupe Quattro: clicky
                  2.5L GTi engineering RE2500 190hp.180lb
                  Schrick 272 cam
                  C A C 2.5" T304 Exhaust
                  ITG filter

Comment

A friend has a Maxogen on his VX220, it's quieter than the K&N cone that came with the car and has 10x better cold air feed. Still, at £300 I'd be getting an RS2 airbox and a few OE filters or a K&N/ITG as above, it's just not worth anything over the RS2 item IMO.
                    Cheers'en, AndyC
                    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Working...
                    X