No announcement yet.

Weird knock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all for humor and those who know me and met me can tell more about it, but this was not well placed.

If it was knock and detonation damage to piston spring or such, I shouldn't have good compression in that cylinder.

Anyway, I thought someone may have had something like this happen to them. I'll update in 2 weeks when we reopen the engine

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Comment

https://youtu.be/5i39i-PyQxA

Watching this makes me realise that it's just a conrods bearing failure. So hopefully we will be ok.

I will keep you updated
      Last edited by Greg_S; 30 September 2017, 19:14.

Comment

if thats the sound you have some serios problems

Comment

Pre-ignition and knock can destroy a rod bearing(also small end bushing) without any visible damage on the piston. I got knocking sound. Piston top, ringlands and rings was undamaged, no marks at all... but piston pin looked like this:

Everything can be possible. There may not always be a clear reason for a damage. It could be a rod bearing failure due oil starvation, and then the more you run the engine the bigger is the chance to destroy the crank.

Last edited by Thuppu; 30 September 2017, 20:22.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
          Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
          BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
          BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Photo doesn't open, but does it make a difference that with high oil pressure the noise goes away and this only sounds on idle? I'm thinking something to do with the oil on that area

Ok I saw the picture. I probably need to leave the car alone until it gets opened up.

Comment

I agree with the above, sounds like a rod or pin issue to me, since the noise stops when the load is removed.
              I would not continue to run the engine until you have found the cause. It is sooo hard to find a good block these days, you don't want a rod through the side!
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Having lived with the car for so long I have learnt.
                I have 2 blocks and waiting for a set of pistons and rods..

Comment

Well even so, better to keep those as spares
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

That was the point. To have as much as possible available when needed. I have all the bottom end parts ready. Now waiting for the pistons and hopefully if the rods are not needed I'll keep them for a stroker build.
                    I'll update this thread once we open up the engine

Comment

Hope you get it figured out Vasili
                      Cheers mis amigos,
                      _Anton

Comment

I'm sure it will. Expensive but it will get sorted one way or another

Comment

vas. recently had a dead pos channel. similar sound pissed through plug. you changed the plug. change the channel and it was back to usual.

do you get the rattle around 2k rpm. if so its rod bearings. remember my scats have been in for about 8-9 years now. sat without turning in garage for 5-6 years. still great. cant fault them regardless of whats said. so long as they are weight matched.

whats the oil pressure. personally

Comment

Oil pressure is perfect. When cold 5 bar and there is no knock, when warm and sitting at 2 bar it does it.

I have ls2 coils so they are meant to be trouble free. I had recently 2 coil cables go bad on me causing misfires. That went away after replacing them.

If I changed the position of the POS it should do the same but in different cylinder. I'll try that one more time

Mine only does it on idle. It goes away as soon as revs go up and of course oil pressure.

Comment

maybe worth different oil. id recommend millers 10-60. my engine is so much quieter on that.

your a quack. get yer listening gear out. get to the heart of the matter

Comment

I had 10w60 castrol and it was doing it. We engine flushed and used 0w40 mobil 1. Still does it

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X