Looking for a possible air leak S2 ABY Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a possible air leak S2 ABY Coupe

I have just purchase a compressor and one 80mm bung for the hose from the MAF to the turbo. I will take the pipe to the cam cover off and block the pipe. That's the first test I will be doing.

From what I have found 1.1 bar should be applied. What I cannot find is how long it should stay at 1.1 bar, can anybody advise what would be acceptable.

15th September 2015, 19:00
    3B, ABY, AAN and ADU Boost leak testing

Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
    So when testing for leaks what pressure to go to and how long should it hold steady at that pressure, thanks in advance

UrS4boy replied.

I have previously suggested: "Testing for boost leaks involves introducing controlled pressure, i.e. 10 to 15 psi (0.7 to 1.1 Bar) from an air compressor into a non-running engine, with a pressure testing bung, such as shown in the diagram below and various other hoses plugged off (as appropriate to that test). "

I doubt that even a real tight system would hold steady for very long (depends on which of the testing options you use). I think the main issue is how fast it drops and whether you can find the leak with soapy water while the pressure drops (if not, pump it up again).

S2 3B and ABY and RS2 ADU Boost Leak Testing:
    http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...t+leak+testing

AAN Boost Testing Options:
    http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...t+leak+testing
    Last edited by orsum; 11 January 2018, 19:50.

Someone mentioned that tests should be done every oil change, seems a good idea to me

Comment

If it holds or drops a few psi over one minute you’re doing well!

Most cars I’ve tested don’t hold anything at all on the first try.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

20 Kpa = 3.9 Psi = 0.2 Bar on the first reading.

Just found top hose clip of the cross member pipe not squarely on definitely moved. On the other side the MarkH mod is not leaking, good mod all our cars should have this modification.

Will put hoses back and test again tomorrow.

Comment

Could not wait still the same .

Going to drink my expensive Jameson and cry.

Tomorrow is another day

Comment

Is it possible the o ring of the turbo has failed?

I cannot find a hole in any pipes nor when applying pressure and soapy water I cannot see any bubbles or hear a leak.. I blocked the pipe coming from the intercooler so I am only doing the MAF to before the throttle body.

Thinking of stripping the cold side of the turbo to check the o ring.

Comment

I did not fancy stripping the cold side off the turbo so I did another test. This time I just did across the intercooler.

I could only get 20Kpa so there is a leak on the intercooler, the pipe or the Mark H mod I did.

Next is the bumper off again.

Seems like I am on the right track this time.

Comment

So the first step in finding a leak is done, I found the solid return pipe from the intercooler has a big leak.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to repair or replace the damaged pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by orsum
                  So the first step in finding a leak is done, I found the solid return pipe from the intercooler has a big leak.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to repair or replace the damaged pipe.
                  Wow, that’s very unusual to get a leak in the crossover pipe. Is the leak visible or is it inside the crossmember?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Yep not what I would call a normal place for a leak. I cannot see the leak at this stage.

My plan is to take the crossmember off take it into work and to see if I can see the where the leak is. More tools etc at work.

Thinking of just buying a replacement if they are still available.

Comment

The leak was not the crossmember it was on my compressor piping. fixed leaking test pipe now back to the start to verify all my tests.

Comment

Found the leak it was on the outlet from the turbo.

Any advice on whats the best available replacement.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Have a look at Rose motorsport or Sam o silicone hose kits
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Roose is the way forward if you cant find original good quality pipes, I have Samco and am in the process of changing to Roose as I feel they are better quality

Comment

Someone on here had a Roose silicon hose for sale a couple of days ago.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X