Non Start, Oil and Battery lights + 00531

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Start, Oil and Battery lights + 00531

Typically after having the S2 off the road for almost a year with it starting on demand it has now stopped....

The only fault code pulled is 00516.

I've just fitted a new battery, trying to start the car turns over and tries to fire every other attempt. The battery light and oil lights then flash on with the beep.

I vaguely remember a similar problem before caused by a fuse to the oil pressure sensors but couldn't find any previous posts and the fuses are all intact in the fusebox.

Any help much appreciated
    Last edited by Colesy; 12 February 2018, 20:53.

Fuel pump failed, old fuel or low on fuel?
    Battery definitely fully charged?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Give it he Maf connector a clean and a wiggle.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Do you mean 00513 ? there is no 00531 on the S2
        Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

Sorry actually it should have been 00516
          Last edited by Colesy; 15 February 2018, 13:27.

Comment

That changes things a bit. F60 throttle idle switch problem
            http://s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articles/m...ecu_faults.htm
            Mike

Comment

Thanks guys for the pointers, I'll hopefully be able to do some testing tomorrow

Comment

Have done some testing today, 00516 has gone and 00532 has appeared along with the usual 00513 I didn't mention before.

00532 - Supply Voltage B+
                27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

I have spark and fuel, the earths on the IM are good, haven't checked timing yet...

Have cleaned the MAF connector and fresh fuel has been added.

Any more ideas?

Comment

You would need to determine whether the issue is low or high voltage!
                  It's not impossible that a new battery is defective IF thats all you have changed. If you still have the old one you could try to charge it up and replace it to see what happens.
                  Alternatively charge the new one up and try again or see if you can get it load tested somewhere. If you bought it from a battery suppllier they should have the right kit.
                  If you have been trying to jump start using 2 batteries the ecu doesn't like that much. Safer to use a known fully charged battery.
                  The earths on the inlet are one issue. The other is the engine to the chassis and the battery to the chassis. If you suspect an earth problem you could try connecting a jump lead from the engine to the chassis as a temporary measure.

Comment

battery or alternator. Last time I had that symbol on the dash, my alternator was kicking out 16v
                    Mike

Comment

The old battery was on it's way out and had the same problem with it, it was my first guess as to the cause of the issue.

The new battery is in good nick putting out just over 12V and looks in good shape according to the battery tester.

I've tried a jump lead from the engine to the chassis and this didn't change anything, also chaining another battery.

I noticed just now that one of the fog light switches flashed with the alarm... have never seen this before. I have a Clifford alarm fitted... Wondering whether this could be at fault

Comment

A fully charged battery should have at least 12.6V. So thats the first issue to address! Charge it up thoroughly and then try.
                        Personally I don't think its worth the potential ecu damage to risk jump starting ! It should start with a healthy battery, especially a new one.
                        So it had a pre existing fault before the battery change. Perhaps it has s drain somewhere or a starter motor issue.
                        Its a bit difficult to observe a MM and crank but if you can measure the voltage during cranking that might give you clue. I would think anything below 9.5V might indicate an issue. Is the engine cranking over as you would expect?

Comment

I would say it does have at least 12.6V so am pretty certain it's not a battery issue.

It does seem to be cranking well but possibly at only 80% of what I might expect, whether I'm imagining this I'm not sure. I'll try and measure the voltage on the starter and also look for any current drains.

Thanks for the help

Comment

There is a potential problem with the braid between the solenoid and the starter that has started to become more commomplace. I'll see if I can find it.
                            Also the cold weather has an effect on the battery performance!

Comment

Working...
                            X