Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust manifold nuts missing

Hi guys.
    I will be replacing exhaust system on my S2 and on removal of down pipe i have found that some of nuts on exhaust manifold are loose and four of them are just missing I cant believe that it wasn't blowing past the gasket .Anyway im after advise how to prevent it from happening again?
    it is Wagner manifold and I have used original nuts and the washers and I'm thinking of not using them washers anymore .Also now when the turbo (KKK7200)is removed would it be good time to do some mode to it??I was thinking about billet wheel,360 bearings etc ?What's your thoughts guys ?
    thanks

They probably weren't torqued up correctly before. It's very tight in there and no chance of getting a torque wrench on most of the nuts. Don't ditch the washers but use new nuts as there is a locking head on the originals. Get a good swan neck ring spanner for the fiddly ones
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
      They probably weren't torqued up correctly before. It's very tight in there and no chance of getting a torque wrench on most of the nuts. Don't ditch the washers but use new nuts as there is a locking head on the originals. Get a good swan neck ring spanner for the fiddly ones
      Cheers Dave
      why are you saying not to ditch washers buddy?
      I'm thinking that they are the reason for nuts to become loose as they are not sitting deep enough on the studs
      I have used torque wrench one the ones I could get to but on some of them i cant even put ring spanner as there is literally no gap at all between manifold and nut .i think on standard manifold this is not the case but the Wagner one is obviously different.

Comment

The washers are heavy duty thick things that help spread the load onto the manifold. Did you fit the Wagner? When I fit mine, you have to cut a few of the studs to fit. Perhaps some were cut a little short? If you ditch the washers I think there would be more chance that the manifold might crack as you will put more stress on a smaller area.
        Getting into some of the nuts is a real challenge on the wagner. I heated up and bent an old ring spanner so I could get the angle right. I also bought a good swan neck. It still took ages though!
        Last edited by Tractor Dave; 6 May 2019, 10:45.
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

I was told that without the washers the studs can break.
          IIRC the RS2 mani is even worse than the Wagner!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
            I was told that without the washers the studs can break.
            IIRC the RS2 mani is even worse than the Wagner!
            Agreed, fitting the rs2 mani was a right pita. i ended up grinding the spanner so it would go on the nuts without hitting the manifold.

Comment

I didn't cut any of the studs ,so they still are all the same length. I need to double check but I'm sure that on few of them nuts the only way to do them up is open ended spanner that is not ideal,unless I have got wrong nuts ??
              Horrible designed manifold but on the plus side -i have done about 6k since it was fitted and It did took some obuse and no cracks so far.

Comment

Originally posted by tango123

Agreed, fitting the rs2 mani was a right pita. i ended up grinding the spanner so it would go on the nuts without hitting the manifold.
                Snap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I see what you mean. I'm sure my nuts are shorter. I got new ones from autodoc. I will measure one.
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Just checked. New from Autodoc 7.8mm tall. Original 8mm tall. Both 13mm spanner size. The original appear a little more beefy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Thanks Dave .I will try to look for them nuts .

Comment

And i will use them washers as few people said the same thing now not to get rid of them so I better listen

Comment

Working...
                          X