Coolant leak ABY Avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant leak ABY Avant

Went out to prep the car this morning ready for a 2 week camping trip up north and noticed I've lost about a litre of coolant. Last month before another trip I had the rev counter not working so seem to only have issues when planning on heading off somewhere in the car!

Anyway, read through a few threads on here and and had a good look at the car. It's likely been leaking for a while and just haven't noticed till now - not getting any warning lights yet.

There's some fresh drops of coolant just below what I think is the after run pump(?). And when moving the connector (circled in the pic) I can see coolant around the seal.

There's some crystals elsewhere but looks like the main issue is that area where the after run pump is located.

Still a bit of noob but keen to get stuck in so some pointers on how to fix would be much appreciated!

Also, been reading up on what type of coolant to top up with. It currently has blue (G11?) so I'm guessing it's okay to use this stuff from motul listed as G11 spec? https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-904-mot...dy-to-use.aspx

g3vxRHC.jpg
    eS9zaJ7.jpg
    ctRJPae.jpg
    Cheers

93 S2 Avant - SOLD
    94 80 V6 Saloon
    00 S3 8L - SOLD

The after run pump has plastic connectors which are known to crack. You will need to get a new one.

Most people seem to upgrade to the pink anti freeze. The main benefit is that it lasts longer before you need to change it.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Sure the jubilee clips are nipped up?
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Cheers Dave - yeh, there's lots of useful info on here and a guide of sorts on quattroworld.com which would suggest that's the problem. Amazon prime (not a place I'd normally think to look) have the Bosch part I need for 50 quid so should have it tomorrow.

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
        Sure the jubilee clips are nipped up?
        Now that you mention it I only made sure nothing was loose by hand - didn't actually try to nip up the clips. Should probably try that in the morning Either way, fitting a new pump as preventative maintenance seems a good idea.

93 S2 Avant - SOLD
        94 80 V6 Saloon
        00 S3 8L - SOLD

Comment

Okay, not convinced the pump is the main issue now. Went out tonight to have another look and the pump was bone dry this time. Topped up the coolant to the minimum (about half a litre) and took the car for a run. After that again, no sign of any coolant from the pump but had lost the same amount of coolant as I'd put in just half an hour before! I could hear the coolant bubbling near the turbo but didn't see it leaking anywhere else, and again after run pump was dry...

The bubbling coolant could be easily seen here but couldn't really see where that half litre of coolant had went

PbCdbcm.jpg

I think that's the least of my worries though. It took a few goes before the car started and once going was idling erratic - revs were dipping and almost cutting out. Once I got moving it normalised but on the motorway the car felt a bit hesitant. Putting the foot to the floor the car was juddering/stuttering when the boost was kicking in and seemed really laggy and sluggish - like a misfire I guess. With smooth acceleration the car would be mostly okay - still felt slight hesitant but flooring produced violent judder - which was more apparent in higher gears. Second gear felt much better onto the slip road but 5th or 6th was juddering like mad!

I scanned for codes using a generic eBay reader but didn't find anything other than speed sensor when the engine was off - nothing with engine running.

From searching the forums it seems it's likely coils, POS, or maybe a boost leak? Spark plugs are around 2 years old with about 8k miles but maybe worth checking as well(?)

Looks like I'll be taking the 80 north again! Leaving on Saturday morning so don't think I'll get anything done on the S2 before I go. Bit of a shame but won't get disheartened!

As usual, any pointers, tips or advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers
          93 S2 Avant - SOLD
          94 80 V6 Saloon
          00 S3 8L - SOLD

Comment

Have you done anything to the car recently? Has the coolant been drained? Have you got steam vapour from the exhaust? You either have an air lock or possibly your head gasket has blown. Poor idle is a symptom.
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

No, haven't done anything to the car recently - actually barely driven it at all. The coolant's not been drained - just topped it up after noticing the low level the other day. Didn't see any vapour from the exhaust but didn't really look there tbh. I did however notice the poor idle a few weeks ago but was only happening when the engine was already warm. Starting it today it would have cut out if I had't given it a few revs.

93 S2 Avant - SOLD
              94 80 V6 Saloon
              00 S3 8L - SOLD

Comment

coolant leak could be no 30 or 33 in the pic attached. Just an idea.
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks mate - will have a look there tomorrow
                  93 S2 Avant - SOLD
                  94 80 V6 Saloon
                  00 S3 8L - SOLD

Comment

The poor idle and boost cut under acceleration sound pretty much exactly the same as described in the thread linked below so will have a look at the MAF tomorrow. It could be this and the coolant leak are two separate issues but guess I can't rule out them being related.

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...r-acceleration
                    93 S2 Avant - SOLD
                    94 80 V6 Saloon
                    00 S3 8L - SOLD

Comment

Hopefully it's not the head gasket. However, if you are losing coolant and there is no obvious leaks it must be going somewhere. Anti freeze needs changing every two years to maintain its anti corrosion properties unless you use the newer pink stuff which last 5 years. The corrosion attacks the head gasket and it's mating surfaces causing it to fail.
                      Nothelle S2 Avant
                      Black Ur project
                      Ocianic Ur project gone
                      S2 Coupe project gone
                      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

O rings on the water cooling jacked caused me sleepless nights trying to locate the leak. Looking at the water temp sender picture reminded me of my leak. O rings and inlet manifold gasket sorted my problem.

I first thought it was a cylinder head gasket that was the problem, lucky for me I managed to record the leak. When I took the manifold off I found it was the O rings had perished.

Good luck hope you find it soon and its something simple.

Comment

Places I’ve had water leaks.

1/ Underneath the header tank where the hose joins on, there was a crack in the tank, this one cost me the head gasket when I got stuck in traffic in the A40 into London. Knew I had a leak but couldn’t find it.

2/ Bottom of the rad where the rubber mount it’s fixed, badly soldered mount bracket.

3/ Afterrun pump

4/ Turbo cooling pipe at turbo

5/ Turbo coolant feed at front of water rail there’s a short rubber section (not included in the original samco water kit)

6/ Core plug at rear of head rusted through

7/ Plastic water take off flange at rear of head to heater hose, replaces with one of Rusty’s billet alloy jobs

8/ Water pump, leaking down inside cambelt cover.

I think that’s it

My car has done over 250,000 miles though

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                          sigpic

Comment

Oh yes of course!
                            Heater matrix, inside the car, twice

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

Cheers guys.

Hope so too, Dave. Will flush out the coolant and replace with he pink stuff once I'm back from holiday.

orsum - thanks man, I can see a few crystals around that area and noticed a couple of tiny fresh drops so will have a closer look there when I get the chance.

I was fairly convinced it was the afterrun pump at first - there was clearly fresh coolant below the pump - but it's been bone dry since :/

Made progress with the poor idle and boost cut however! Had a quick look at the car before packing the 80 for holiday and to see if there were any more signs of where it's leaking. To be honest wasn't too phased by the leak at first - it's a 26yr old car after all - but the poor idle had me a bit worried - especially if the two were related. Anyway, disconnected the MAF and gave the connector a quick clean - turned the key and perfect idle - think that's the smoothest it's been since I bought the car Went a quick jaunt down the motorway and running as it should! What a relief.

The issue I had the other month with the rev counter dropping to zero when accelerating - which seemed to resolve itself on it's own - surfaced again after flooring the car - but the needle shot back up after a couple of seconds which it wasn't doing before - didn't see it again the rest of the way home.

As for the coolant leak - it didn't lose any more on that run - not enough to show in the tank at least. Was still hissing/boiling from the area shown in my last photo but nothing else obvious. No sign of any coolant contamination in the oil or anything in the expansion tank. I let it run for a while at idle and no signs of overheating, fan kicks in fine as does the afterrun fan.
                              newsh Cheers for the list of things to check surely it has to be one of those!

93 S2 Avant - SOLD
                              94 80 V6 Saloon
                              00 S3 8L - SOLD

Comment

Working...
                              X