Aux rad delete - bung sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aux rad delete - bung sizes?

Afternoon all, I've searched and not found this info - apologies in advance if I missed it somewhere...

What bung size(s) are needed to stop up the pipes when deleting the aux rad?

I ordered a replacement from GSF (with one of their discount codes, so expensive but not "list price" at £350), but they've just been in touch to say they can't get it. Since mine is leaking, if I can't replace it then it'll have to go.

Thanks in advance
    Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

List price £350???? What on earth??!!

If your matrix has failed but the end tanks are still good - Get your old one re cored for heavens sake, you will pay around £100.

GSF should be ashamed.

Comment

They seem to have near permanent discount codes, and the one I used was for 50% off so it ended up being c. £175. I wouldn't have even contemplated more than £200!

Mine is indeed leaking in the middle so could be re-cored, but I'm also contemplating using the space where the aux rad is for the larger oil cooler mod - hence needing to know bung sizes.
      Shocked, exhausted, hosed, bushed, dumped, chipped, mounted, filtered, gauged, packed, intermittantly wiped and braked. I mean broken. Now, about the car...

Comment

25mm barbed metal plug from plumbing supply store and hose clamps. 2 of each. Copper plugs would be better

Comment

Originally posted by Audicted View Post
          25mm barbed metal plug from plumbing supply store and hose clamps. 2 of each. Copper plugs would be better
          Thank you!

Any reason for copper in particular? I can find machined aluminium/alloy pipe plugs in that size easily, but haven't found any copper ones yet.

Comment

You can still get the Aux delete hose from Audi Tradition for a reasonable price. Just fitted mine today and makes it much more tidy
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
              You can still get the Aux delete hose from Audi Tradition for a reasonable price. Just fitted mine today and makes it much more tidy
              Excellent! Can you give me a part number or direct link to the part please?

Comment

DSCF9174.jpg

I used 22mm external stop ends. Any diy store has them.
                1992 80 quattro 20vT

Comment

https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/tra...-893121055b-10
                  Order it now as the shop is closing for update tomorrow.
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Merlin Motorsport do the bung in aluminium
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by curlyks2 View Post

Thank you!

Any reason for copper in particular? I can find machined aluminium/alloy pipe plugs in that size easily, but haven't found any copper ones yet.
                      I use the anodised aluminium ones from eBay, usually listed as dump valve plug

For example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222161705536

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

I was thinking about this last week and have 2 questions: -

1. How does the Audi delete hose fit as I thought the idea was that you should not bridge the aux pipes to form a loop but better to bung them as per the above posts?

2. If going the bung route, I was also looking at alloy eBay jobs and they offer a range of sizes so is 25mm or 22mm more suitable?

Cheers n beers (emoji here)
                        Si
                        Last edited by HPmuirt; 29 June 2020, 18:58. Reason: terrybubble speeling
                        95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
                        Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
                        With every option available (except a towball)

Comment

Originally posted by HPmuirt View Post

1. How does the Audi delete hose fit as I thought the idea was that you should not bridge the aux pipes to form a loop but better to bung them as per the above posts?

2. I going the bung route, I was also looking at ally eBay jobs and they offer a range of sizes so is 25mm or 22mm more suitable?

Si
                          It's just the hose from the 7a engine which never had an aux rad. It's a perfect fit
                          Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                            It's just the hose from the 7a engine which never had an aux rad. It's a perfect fit
                            For reference, 7A has auxiliary radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by HPmuirt View Post

2. If going the bung route, I was also looking at alloy eBay jobs and they offer a range of sizes so is 25mm or 22mm more suitable?

Si
                              The 22mm is reference to the copper pipe outside diametre, add on the thickness of the copper end cap itself and it becomes 25mm. The raised solder ring does am alright job of acting like a bead for clamping your hose clip at.

Comment

Working...
                              X