Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing / Flatspot / Missfire after 4,000rpm ​​​​​​​

Missing / Flatspot / Missfire after 4,000rpm

If I was a betting man, if it is a coil That is causing my issue, then it’s going to be number 2 Coil as my #2 Spark plug is the blackest !
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

more info on your setup ?

Comment

Last edited by UUUdirs2newcastle; 15 July 2020, 02:01.

Comment

The car was fine when I parked her up in the garage 8 years ago!

Kim Collins upgraded the car back in 1998 to a MTM 380hp K24/K26 Hybrid Turbo

Good Points

Brand New Bosch 040 Fuel Pump

Brand New Bosch 787 Fuel Filter

Audi V8 Large Fuel Pump Basket

Brand New NGK PFR7B plugs (gapped to 0.6mm

Full Tank of Super Unleaded

Brand New Samco Induction Silicone Hoses

Bad Points

Original 20 year old Audi / Beru Coil Packs x 5.

Original 3.5mm Vacuum Hoses throughout the engine bay. (Maybe I should replace them all)

Im using the original Bosch 3.8 FPR (This has a dent/squash in the top, is that on purpose to get more pressure?)

The very short silicone hose between Intercooler & front crossmember pipe is there, and it’s old, I have not changed that yet.

I have not pressure tested the induction for boost leaks or any of the small 3.5mm vacuum tubes through the engine bay.

I have not pressure tested the fuel delivery.

The Coil Pack rubber spark plug tubes are the original ones, maybe I should replace those too?

Last edited by UUUdirs2newcastle; 15 July 2020, 02:00.

Comment

Last edited by UUUdirs2newcastle; 15 July 2020, 02:02.

Comment

Very easy to test this usually. Try give it half throttle instead of WOT through the gears. Most likely your coils are due a change.
            1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Originally posted by rynaqui View Post
              Very easy to test this usually. Try give it half throttle instead of WOT through the gears. Most likely your coils are due a change.
              Driving through the gears it drives great, up to 3,500 / 3,800 rpm, but more than half throttle, when it goes to 4,000 rpm, it’s just flat as anything, I was wondering if I had a vacuum leak or a turbo pipe leak as there was a feeling of no boost, but I think after what all you guys are saying, it’s the Coil that’s the issue.

Comment

maybe it could be your coils, i where also thinking bad crank sensor, is it 4000rpm i all gears ?

Comment

Do a modern tsfi coil conversion. Best thing I ever did to my ABY. Driving it after conversion felt like it had a lighter flywheel fitted, weird explanation but great to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by mllen89 View Post
                    maybe it could be your coils, i where also thinking bad crank sensor, is it 4000rpm i all gears ?
                    I’m not sure, the rpm varies depending on throttle and gear if I recall correctly.

Comment

ok :S do you have knock sensors? its a aby right ?

Comment

from your other thread

Originally posted by UUUdirs2newcastle View Post
                        Would a leak from one of the little 3.5mm vacuum hoses that are all over the engine cause this if there was one perished? They all seem a little iffy. Probably 26 years old !

Yes, these little tubes are responsible for applying vacuum or boost pressure to the ECU to calculate fuel and timing and the Fuel Pressure Regulator to adjust fuel pressure.
                        If these tubes are not completely sealed and in perfect condition the car will not run right.

You must do proper boost leak test!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                        sigpic

Comment

You won’t believe it ! I’ve found the boost leak! The rubber O - Ring on the MTM solid intake pipe had broken causing a air leak. I’m trying to source a new O-Ring now.

It least I only bought ‘ONE’ new Beru Coil. ! ha ha ha
                          Attached Files

Comment

Well done!
                            There will probably be more leaks though

Now buy some vac tube and replace all the lines, either with Audi stuff with the braided cotton outer or good quality silicone stuff, with new clips.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

Oh man, these rubber o rings are hard to get, I’ve got 2mm, 2.5mm, 3.5mm and all wrong :-(

Comment

Working...
                              X