Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K24 Turbo Refurb - Who would you send it to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its not the easiest of jobs thats for sure, thats why you need to swap out for a garrett turbo with vband connections

Comment

The Perfectionist
      sigpic
      Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Audi 80 View Post
        Update: Turbo is finally out of the car. (That is bloody difficult isn't it?!)

I spoke to Owen Dev, they can't get parts for Borg Warner and recommended Turbo Dynamics. Spoke to a chap there who can refurb K24 for me. I will be sending my turbo off to them next week.

Watch this space.
        Not going for a 360 bearing? CNC comp wheel? Cheeky hybrid?

:devil:

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Hi John,

I did ask and they did not seem very keen to upgrade it? (Or maybe I didn't ask the right questions?)

What is the approximate cost for that sort of thing?
          The Perfectionist
          sigpic
          Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

Hi John,

I did ask and they did not seem very keen to upgrade it? (Or maybe I didn't ask the right questions?)

What is the approximate cost for that sort of thing?
            Not sure on cost, the K24 is pretty old-tech so maybe not easy to get parts. The 360 bearing was a good upgrade to help the bearing last longer with increased boost and reduce oil consumption. I would ask if they can do that for you.
            Are you running stage 1 software? If not, no worries, with the turbo refurbished you’ll have another 100,000 miles in it easy.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I am running an AMD chipset from the late nineties! 300 ft/b 270 bhp. A commercial version of Homefries really, but not quite as good. (Runs rich)
              The Perfectionist
              sigpic

Comment

Have you thought about getting a hybrid from Vidar? I'm very pleased with mine and didn't cost much more than your refurb will cost.
                Nothelle S2 Avant
                Black Ur project
                Ocianic Ur project gone
                S2 Coupe project gone
                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                  Have you thought about getting a hybrid from Vidar? I'm very pleased with mine and didn't cost much more than your refurb will cost.
                  Details please! Is it mechanically plug and play?

Thanks

Steve
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic

Comment

Yes, plug and play. I have the Nothelle chip so best speak to Vidar as to what's best for you. He is on here but it might be quicker to message him on Facebook. Norwegian Audi Parts.
                    While you have the turbo off you would be wise to upgrade the EM. Wagner or RS2.
                    I do have a spare RS2 EM if you are interested.
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Thanks Dave, this is a slippery slope! Does the RS2 EM fit the K24 (Hybrid?) directly or do you need to change to RS2 turbo? I would then be potentially looking at injectors and a remap etc to make it all work properly would I not?
                      The Perfectionist
                      sigpic

Comment

Anyone know anything about this: https://www.mlperformance.co.uk/prod...nt=50105124564
                        The Perfectionist
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks Dave, this is a slippery slope! Does the RS2 EM fit the K24 (Hybrid?) directly or do you need to change to RS2 turbo? I would then be potentially looking at injectors and a remap etc to make it all work properly would I not?
                          The hybrid bolts straight up.
                          You have a couple of options.
                          See how it works with your chip, ask Newsh nicely to make a Nothelle copy for you which runs standard injectors or ask Newsh to do you an Rs2 copy and change the injectors.
                          Last edited by Tractor Dave; 9 April 2021, 13:25.
                          Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Ok thanks...
                            The Perfectionist
                            sigpic

Comment

A Vidar K24 and RS2 exhaust manifold would probably work really well with your chipset. If not ( and your ECU is socketed) there are other stage one chips to try. Honestly I wouldn’t bother with an RS2 turbo, yes there’s more power but it’s more laggy so you have to rev it more. K24 with stage 1 chips spools nice an fast and is fun.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

One more thing to consider, if you were to change the EM, if it’s never been off, you may end up breaking a stud or two. It’s happened to a few of us over the years. It’s not obligatory if you go really careful and the studs are in good condition but it’s possible.
                                If you do break one they can usually be removed by welding a nut to what’s left, otherwise it’s a machine shop job as the chances of drilling out in situ are slim.
                                When I did my first EM change to RS2 we fitted all new studs (some of which need to be shorter for the RS2 EM)

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X