Engine wont start, but turns over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine wont start, but turns over

Hey guys, im a little stuck. My battery died on the s2, ive charged it now. All is ok. But the s2 now only just turns over and will not start.

Would spark plugs affect this? If so which ones should I get? Can most spark plugs work fine?

Its had new fuel filter. I just dont think ive change spark plugs for awhile.

Spark plugs don’t suddenly not work, they get worse over time and may cause misfires when old.
    Pull a spark plug and see if it’s wet first, then crank it and see if you have spark.
    Have you ever changed the fuel pump? They can fail without warning.
    Is the battery actually good or is it cranking the car slowly?
    Can you pull codes on your aftermarket ECU?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
      Spark plugs don’t suddenly not work, they get worse over time and may cause misfires when old.
      Pull a spark plug and see if it’s wet first, then crank it and see if you have spark.
      Have you ever changed the fuel pump? They can fail without warning.
      Is the battery actually good or is it cranking the car slowly?
      Can you pull codes on your aftermarket ECU?
      Thank you newsh! Hmmm I havent changed the fuel pump no.. Battery seems good yes. I dont know how to pull codes from the Emerald ECU... I could research this -- as I have a laptop and the ecu software. I could maybe contact the tuner of this.

Comment

Does anyone here know the best place to buy a new fuel pump for the s2? (I also think my fuel level sensor doesnt give a good reading so I have have to replace whatever this unit is also.)

Is it worth upgrading the fuel pump also while I am here?
        Thx in advance

Comment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154696927...3ABFBMhOCCwsxf

Comment

I would test your fuel pump before buying another.
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

ive got a few original 044 and a working level sensor if your in need.

If your on a after market ecu i would pull the plugs and check for spark whilst cranking.

Spark
              Fuel
              Timing

its that simple !
              Chef

Comment

Chris,

Try and help the helper(s). I would agree with everything Newsh said above, and gently offer that in order to best attract help, try to answer all those specific questions folks ask, in detail in your responses so the helper (and other readers) can then more easily follow along; and perhaps best help guide you.

It may also be best to not get side-tracked into possible up-grades or non-critical minor snags, until the car is more mobile.

Further, to help provide a kind of road-map of what to best do next, to get most directly from not running to running, the use of a check-list can often be quite helpful. Here (at link) is one prepared by someone quite experienced who has taken the time to try and put the necessary steps together in a most logical order, to try to save time and perhaps unnecessary replacement of components and thrashing about.

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/genera...35#post1077635

To review (because all these are just so fundamental):
                - Where the plugs wet?
                - Do you have spark?
                - How many volts does the battery hold after charging?
                - Find out about the code pulling

Then:
                - Let readers know how you determined the fuel pump needs replacing.

Once you get it running well again, you may then want to explore the wiring upgrade / relay relocate for the fuel pump others have written about on here, as perhaps a stock pump will then be just fine.

Carry on sir!

Comment

Some research will show that fuel gauge issues are more likely to be faults with the instrument panel than the sender. Voltage regulator trouble or just plain old simple oxidation on the many electrical contacts causes gauge problems.

Assuming you actually have enough fuel in the tank to start with (have you checked??) get your car working before getting it reading properly.

Comment

Chris
                    There is also a “relay” in the line to the fuel gauge sender in the tank, this module is designed to slow down the action of the gauge so it doesn’t go up and down with the movement of fuel in the tank when cornering, braking etc. When this module goes bad the car will run out of fuel when showing 1/4 of a tank or more on the gauge.

I ended up being recovered from the hard shoulder of the M25 because of this. Bought a brand new tank sender from Tradition which didn’t fix it.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

Massive thank you to everyone here! I shall get right onto it. The battery holds its charge, and looks good once trickle charged in the home. Something seems to drain it a little.

Will try to rectify instrument cluster for guage reading and check sparks. ... then will check relay and possivle how to pull codes off tgis after ecu. Im a noob to this! Also thx for the possible purchasing links also esp Terry! will fault find.

Track day booked for April.
                      Thx guys, what legends!

Comment

Hey guys!! its been awhile!! Lots has happened! Ive had to do so much in life and keep my main run around car on the road.
                        So I had the tuner remote into my ECU via my laptop.

He told me if you can hear the fuel pump on ignition on then it is working. A neighbour who is into his vw's said it was a fuel pump relay - or could be. But I ended up cancelling that order as my tuner said the fuel pump is working.

I am getting no spark at all, which means it is the power to the HT leads and coils circuit. (which also contains a relay).
                        The tuner said its highly unlikely all the spark plugs would fail altogether so ruling them all out.

This is where I am at. I also noticed some water near the fuse box.. Im not happy with how they designed and placed where the fuses go and the water runoff. I thought they were masters of engineering and building?

Anyways, any known issues with this? I have sealed that area also with silicone sealant in the past..

Comment

Any fault codes? My first thought is cam position sensor but there could be a few other culprits...

Just read the whole thread quickly, I know very little about the Emerald ECU, I do know that Motronic needs a signal from the CPS before it allows the ignition to work and these do fail fairly often.
                          Last edited by K Simmonds; 31 March 2022, 17:41. Reason: More info...
                          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Crank sensor dirty or broken? Assuming with Ermerald its still used?

Comment

I have no idea guys, thats the first time Ive ever heard of this device and issues, thank you for your input. when I find the time - will give that suggestion a go. I was just going to hire an auto electrician to sort it. I don't have the time to really get on the car and work on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X