No announcement yet.

Alternator - what choice to make

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also check the larger oil switch/sender is the correct type. There's one with 0.3 bar switch and one with a 1.8 bar switch, yours should be the 0.3 bar type.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

will check

Comment

I didn't think the temp sender went to the auto check....?

Anyway, there's a load connections under the dashboard which I found to be corroded a little, had bugged me for years but always solved itself once the car dried out in summer.

I finally solved it when I found those corroded connectors and gave them a good scrape and contact cleaner.

Comment

Here you go, long post, relevant bit further down:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...57#post2103057

Comment

You know what, I think your right there Peter... If the wire for the temp gauge isn't connected the gauge reads flat out but I'm not 100% sure it's linked to the Autocheck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
              I didn't think the temp sender went to the auto check....?

Anyway, there's a load connections under the dashboard which I found to be corroded a little, had bugged me for years but always solved itself once the car dried out in summer.

I finally solved it when I found those corroded connectors and gave them a good scrape and contact cleaner.
              Ok ,, but did you have the same issue as me and they were corroded and it fixed the oil light ?

Comment

Yes, exactly that.

Essentially I had to trace the wiring all the way from sensor to dash binnacle to find it -read my post, it is all in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                  Yes, exactly that.

Essentially I had to trace the wiring all the way from sensor to dash binnacle to find it -read my post, it is all in there.
                  Great im in the garage ,, will check it right now

Comment

Hmm my panel under the dash does not like on the picture

Comment

Looks like this
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

One's a 7A and ones an S2, hence the differences, though I think Peter's suggestion is still along the correct line of thinking. Check any ground points you can find and the wires going to them as well any other connections under there that lead to the clocks.

I bet it's something really simple, just a case of finding it.

Comment

Trace the wire colours...

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                            One's a 7A and ones an S2, hence the differences, though I think Peter's suggestion is still along the correct line of thinking. Check any ground points you can find and the wires going to them as well any other connections under there that lead to the clocks.

I bet it's something really simple, just a case of finding it.
                            How do you mean ?? Lead to the clocks ? ... i have already all the ground cables under the dash harness,, a lot of grounds. So its probably somekind of ground or cable issue of some sort ? The cables that goes from the fat oil sender those cables is that i should correct ? As i have searched a lot .. that is the sensor that makes the lamp flash .. hmm if take it out i can test it manually ... plug the hole int the block .. and put air pressure on the sensor , i have rig for it. Thats how i tested they worked before installing them. Hmm

Comment

You need to find the wires under the dash, and trace the signal, it may not look like mine but it will be similar.

There are wiring diagrams out there if you search.

Comment

Originally posted by S2_avant 19930325 View Post

How do you mean ?? Lead to the clocks ? ... i have already all the ground cables under the dash harness,, a lot of grounds. So its probably somekind of ground or cable issue of some sort ? The cables that goes from the fat oil sender those cables is that i should correct ? As i have searched a lot .. that is the sensor that makes the lamp flash .. hmm if take it out i can test it manually ... plug the hole int the block .. and put air pressure on the sensor , i have rig for it. Thats how i tested they worked before installing them. Hmm
                                Leads to the clocks= wiring to the clocks, specifically the Autocheck.

As Peter says above you really need to find the wires from the pressure switches to the Autocheck and test them for continuity, one could be broken or earthing out on the body.

I can imagine it being really frustrating to find this problem but I expect once you find the solution it will be obvious.

Comment

Working...
                                X