Oil Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure

At Greg's meet I changed over to Castrol RS10/60 from Synta Gold 5/60 ( as Paul N can vouch for as I doubt all of it has come out of his clothes )

Since then my idle oil pressure now sits at approx 2.9bar compared to 2.0bar when running on Synta.

I know a few others out there are running Castrol - do you find the same sort of pressure at idle?

Cheers Jim
    Jim

There is a very long thread on here somewhere relating to oil pressures with different oils etc, try using the search function and you should get more info that you can wave a stick at LOL
    Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
    2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Jim,

to shorten the search for the thread, yes, Castrol RS increases idle oil pressure compared to almost any other oils. But only the 10W-60. There is a 0W40 now with Ralph Schumacher on it, thats thin oil for new engines. In my oppinion RS is top.

HTH
      Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

For what it's worth, I'm using Synta Gold and I get an idle pressure of 2.5Bar, although it seems to fluctuate slightly.
        Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Re: Oil Pressure

Originally posted by blu_s2
          Since then my idle oil pressure now sits at approx 2.9bar compared to 2.0bar when running on Synta.
          Sounds the same as mine. Used to use Synta Gold and it was 2.0 or maybe as low as 1.8 when it got really hot. Now on RS it is just under 3 bar but drops as low as 2.5 when it gets hot.

AFAIK this is good isn't it
          Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Castrol RS oil is very stable at high oil temps, that's why your oil pressure at idle has increased. I noticed the same thing when I first started to use it.
            Synta gold must be much better than Synta silver. I used Castrol GTX 10/40 to bed my motor in after the rebuild, this produced 2 bar at idle and 5 bar at cruise. After 1000 miles I switched to the semi synthetic Synta silver and this produced poor oil pressures compared to the GTX! - 1.5 bar at idle and 4 bar at cruise.
            Once I have a few more miles on the engine I'll be going back to the RS 10/60. It certainly appears to be one of the best oils for the S2.
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I'm running on the RS 10w60 too, I take it the pressures you guys are mensioning are at normal operating temperature? When my car is cold the meter is on 5 bar, it kinda makes me paranoid, is this normal?
              *ZR* S2 R.I.P.
              Visit *ZR*'s Hideout!

Comment

Zen,

when cold, the RS is like honey (well I wanted to say sp......m)and gives unmeasurably high pressure values even with high mileage or old fashioned engines.I used to run it on my VW beetles, some with extrem high mileage, and even then the pressure gauge was up high. Fine engine protection, if your modern motor has an overpressure inhibition built in. Audis do have. VW beetles didn't, so it often blow the pressure sensor button out from the case.....yes. I sware (swear?) to RS. And also to Heineken. And Guiness and maybe kilkenny. Just to mention some of the most outstanding smearing materials.
                Gabor

96 ABY coupe full except sunroof. With Porsche big red brakes, remapped ECU, xenon lights, RS2 MAF

Comment

5 Bar at idle when the engine is cold is normal
                  91 Modded 3B
                  14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Right, looks like I'm gonna have to get some of this on the next oil change.

Is 10/60 the daddy, or are there other types which are just as good?
                    Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Heh, was thinking on the way home tonight i should ask you (Jim) what you were getting from that RS.....

Cheers,

David
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Dan,

there is the RS 0W-40 with Ralph Schumacher on it. That is for today's new engines, very thin oil. Not for us.
                        Gabor

Comment

Eurocarparts do 10w60 or this place does it http://www.castrolclassicoils.co.uk/engine.htm

Isn't there another 10w60 synthetic from someone like Millers?

EDIT: http://www.millersoils.net/index2.html look under the motorsport section.

I'm sure someone on the forum is using this, Lee maybe?
                          Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

I have RS 10w60 and cold it sits at 5 bar, once hot it sits now about 2.5 bar, and i havnt had any problems with tappets yet (fingers crossed/touch wood).
                            graham
                            Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

thanks for the responses

just to confirm, at cold I get 5bar during idle and cruise

at normal engine oil temps i get 3bar idle and 5 bar cruise

not had a very hot run yet on it so jury still out on that

Jim
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X