Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbosmart solonoid replacement for N75?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent PDF indeed, I guess this means it's a direct replacement when hooked up as the standard one:

Originally posted by Paul's PDF
    Consider this aftermarket device, as sold with the Turbosmart
    eBoost kits. It is an alternative to the factory solenoid. The
    principles of operation are largely the same but the pneumatic
    toplogy is NOT identical to the factory item.

• Consider the function of the TBSV in the normal ‘single port’
    topology for wastegate control on the S2.

Or am I missing the point here?
    Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes
    http://www.garaget.org/?car=52877

Comment

As a replacement it operates quite similar to the factory item, the ECU should adapt to the small(?) difference in air flow through the solonoid..
      Someone BTDT?
      '93 Audi S2 Avant panthero black, 412.000km
      '94 Audi S4 C4 Avant 303Tkm, KW, Brembos, BN-Pipes, Bose, S6 front (sold)
      '93 Audi S4 C4 Avant, 260Tkm
      '88 Audi 100 Avant turbo 44Q
      '84 Audi 80 quattro tornado red
      sigpic

Comment

That's what i was thinking too.

Would be nice to have something little more reliable down there.
        Audi S2 -1994 | 480 Hp 650 Nm | FlexFuel | MaxxECU | 3" Stainless | Porsche GT3 Front Brakes
        http://www.garaget.org/?car=52877

Comment

I need to change / update my n75, so what is the verdict from experts ? it will 100% work ?, no software adjustments needed?

Comment

It will need software adjustments, just how much is being tested.

Comment

No testing done here yet folks... Sorry - but I'll get to it...
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                No testing done here yet folks... Sorry - but I'll get to it...
                Np, in the meantime http://cgi.ebay.de/N75-Tuning-Ventil...|39:1|240:1318 ? or a better one ?

Comment

Here is my result running Eboost2 with the Turbosmart solenoid valve in dual port mode combined with a 0.8-0.9 bar wastegate spring.

Running 23 PSI peak at the moment and then 19-20 PSI at redline.

Here are some result which was logged with my Zeitronix, I wanted to see how fast I could get full boost at 23 PSI.

I have not tweaked the gate pressure yet on the Eboost2 so perhaps there is a bit more to gain, but i'm happy with the result.

First run is from 2500 RPM in 4th gear and it hits full boost around 3100 RPM

2nd run from 2900 RPM in 4th gear and it hits full boost at 3300 RPM.

3rd run is in 5th gear from 2600 RPM and hits full boost around 3100 RPM

Very pleased with the eboost and much stable boost curve then with the N75.

Tomorrow I'm gonna try to do some runs and try to log 100-200 km/h etc. with my new MaxQdata.com software.
                  Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Cool stuff!

Comment

I still have that Turbosmart valve on the bench

I need to do a lot of baseline testing when I get my Zt2 installed - but I can't justify fitting that damn thing until my water leak is solved, and I really need new coil packs too. I will get to this and try to characterise any benefit of the TS valve versus factory WGFV... I'll also try single and dual ported setups... and also want to try an uprated WG spring as well.

All I need is 600 spare quid and a week off work !
                      Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

glad it worked out Jonus. i too saw massive improvements as you all know already. did you managed to set the dropping away of boost towards the end.

the eboost 2 does things very well very easily. much better than say an avc-r. some of the evc's work well but i hear good things from the world electronics ebc too.

will be good to see if the motronic can live with an eboost for controllability. if you got a bb turbo then you wanna spool it soon and fast for me otherwise why bother.

Comment

Motronic can be made to be happy about this - by having boost level programmed roughly like external controller - and MAF limits set accordingly - then it will just be fooled into thinking it is in control as long as it sees the right load on the WGFV and manifold pressure presented to the MAP sensor. Alternative is to completely re-write the boost chip in a way that it doesn't even bother - but that's a much bigger task.
                          Paul Nugent

Comment

Paul I got a question about this.

If a tuner makes a boost map (map1) with stock wastegate spring and then the spring is changed to a stiffer one, then the car will boost more correct? Then if the tuner wanted to make a new boost map (map2) with the stiffer wastegate spring but with the same boost settings as in map1.
                            Then the tuner will have to "lower" the duty cycle or whatever it is that you tuners do

My point with this is, why make a new boost map? I mean if the ECU reads the map1 and map2, then they will produce same pressure but have different maps.

I cant understand how the ECU can translate a boost map to a specific pressure when you could have different maps running same pressure.

Ain't it just a question about raising the MAF limiter so it wont retard timing, cut fuel pump etc.

Maybe I'm just getting it wrong?
                            Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Originally posted by GazzaG60 View Post
                              glad it worked out Jonus. i too saw massive improvements as you all know already. did you managed to set the dropping away of boost towards the end.

the eboost 2 does things very well very easily. much better than say an avc-r. some of the evc's work well but i hear good things from the world electronics ebc too.

will be good to see if the motronic can live with an eboost for controllability. if you got a bb turbo then you wanna spool it soon and fast for me otherwise why bother.
                              Yeah I got sorted more or less. I ended up using the RPM set point mapping and then programmed it for 23 PSI to 5000 RPM and then at 5500 it drops to around 21.5 PSI and at 6000 RPM it is a 20 PSI and stays that the rest of the way. Had to adjust the sensitivity a bit, but not much.

Is it hard getting VEMS to work? Was considering giving it a go
                              Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas_R View Post
                                Paul I got a question about this.

If a tuner makes a boost map (map1) with stock wastegate spring and then the spring is changed to a stiffer one, then the car will boost more correct? Then if the tuner wanted to make a new boost map (map2) with the stiffer wastegate spring but with the same boost settings as in map1.
                                Then the tuner will have to "lower" the duty cycle or whatever it is that you tuners do

My point with this is, why make a new boost map? I mean if the ECU reads the map1 and map2, then they will produce same pressure but have different maps.

I cant understand how the ECU can translate a boost map to a specific pressure when you could have different maps running same pressure.

Ain't it just a question about raising the MAF limiter so it wont retard timing, cut fuel pump etc.

Maybe I'm just getting it wrong?
                                Its just that Motronic could get confused if externally controlled boost was wildly different from what the ECU expected and could raise 'excessive boost' or 'boost not attained' alarms in certain situations. Agreed that the MAF limit is more crucial thing.

Its nothing to do with WG duty cycle map though... In Motronic you have to tell the WG what speed to cycle at - not nice and clean like Eboost controller where you just enter the desired boost level for each load point... then have WG cycle times computed on the fly and adapted to hit the target. I agree Motronic is a real pain for this - so you sometimes get the fluttery boost guage as it adapts fairly coarsely.

Paul
                                Paul Nugent

Comment

Working...
                                X