S2 3b not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S2 3b not starting

My car has been sat for about 2 months waiting for garage space to replace the clutch.

It failed to start a week or so ago so i recharged the battery and tried it again.

Its turning over but not startting.
    I have fuel pressure and spark, although the spark seamed a bit intermittent when i tested each plug lead in turn. Sometimes nothing, sometimes they all spark
    I also tested the coil lead that goes to the dissy and on a couple of orcasions it wasnt sparking, but most of the time it was.

I pulled out all the plugs and found a big puddle of fuel in cylinder 1 and 2, the other 3 where reasonably dry. This was after a good 5 minutes of cranking. The fuel rail was also under a lot of pressure.

I double checked all the timing and its all spot on so cant be that.

If confused as to why its sparking but not consistently and how there can be so much fuel deposit in 2 cylinders.

Can the G62 temp sensor stop the engine from starting full stop? And would it throw a code when the engine is off and only ignition is on?

I took of the dissy cap and found that the terminals were a little corroded. I have ordered a new one just incase its that but it doesnt look that bad, not bad enough to stop it from starting altogether. Besides there is a spark on all leads when they are checked in turn.

Can anything else be unplugged to trigger some sort of limp home mode to help it fire up?
    I have tried MAF, ISV and WGFV so far.

Thanks in advance.
    Bo
    91 S2 coupé - RIP
    98 S8 - Luxury barge

Has the clutch been replaced? (thinking flywheel pin )

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Nope not yet, havent touched the clutch.
      It would be very odd for that to break after its been stationary for so long too.
      Ill check it out though.
      91 S2 coupé - RIP
      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

bo take your plugs out and cover the holes with a rag, discont the dizzy so you have no spark and crank the car for a few minutes to get rid of all that fuel. your oil will have a bit of daultion now also.
        Chef

Comment

What bad luck Bo. It seems strange it's sparking but not starting. Is it trying to fire at all? Running on 4, 3, 2 before dying?
          Any codes?
          How's your MAF? Have you been fiddling around with the inlet pipework again?
          SS

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
            bo take your plugs out and cover the holes with a rag, discont the dizzy so you have no spark and crank the car for a few minutes to get rid of all that fuel. your oil will have a bit of daultion now also.
            that fuel won't be doing compression any good obviously - blob of oil down the bores after that worth a though

I had similar spark issues when i tried to start my 7A after a year in the garage - damp coil - a few minutes with the mrs hair dryer sorted it
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

double post
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Cheers guys, will try that, ill unplug the injectors too to avoid any more fuelling while i try to dry it out a bit.

I tried it with MAF plugged in and with it unplugged, should start with out a MAF anyway.
                No, its not trying to fire at all. its just free spinning but its not making any combustion.
                Ill check the codes tomorrow.

I think the ignition is to blame here. Somethings just not right with it, I also spotted some spark leak at the coil where the dissy plugs in, it was spitting out sparks, after inspection it looks like the top of the coil connector has a crack in it so there is room for spark to hop out doesn't make sense though because there is nowhere for it to earth there... Leads are Magnecore KV85, almost new so should be ok.....

Perhaps the damp has coursed a bad earth on the engine so the plugs are not earthing well enough coursing weak sparks?

Can the temp sensor stop engine from starting if its faulty?
                91 S2 coupé - RIP
                98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

Just pull the fuel pump relay for the injectors bo
                  sigpic

Comment

Is that in the fuse box?
                    91 S2 coupé - RIP
                    98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

On a serious note though mate, when you crank it... The fuel will go about 20ft in the air so please cover it well

Surely if you have no spark, the injectors will not open. In fact to stop spark and fuel disconnect your ecu
                      Chef

Comment

Broken G62 should make the ECU think it's cold, so the fuel mixture will be rich. So it should still start ok. That coil connector doesn't sound healthy.
                        Unplugging the MAF won't help. I left mine unplugged once, and the car would barely run.
                        SS

Comment

Hello,

what about Engine speed sender (G28)
                          http://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_articl...ecu_faults.htm
                          91' S2 3B Pearl White

Comment

I'm thinking damp is causing the sparks to go to ground before they get to the plugs, or maybe damp in one of those engine bay loom connectors on the bulkhead.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                            sigpic

Comment

Was this solved in the end?

Comment

Working...
                              X