Stock pistons vs custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock pistons vs custom

I have a dilemma! I'm after 500hp project and right now considering building the engine. I already got the rods but should I invest more money for custom pistons or stick with stock ones?

Basically what are the limits of the stock pistons and what will be my benefits if use customs?

what is the price of the bearings and segments in UK?
    Last edited by Nik0las; 23 March 2010, 21:38.

stock pistons will be fine for that power. - 700+ bhp is possible on stock pistons.

Sapphire cos running custom 2.8litre conversion,es cos rims,raven black leather interior and 500+ with the gas turned off.

Audi s2 cooking on gas

Comment

Originally posted by PeteUr View Post
      stock pistons will be fine for that power. - 700+ bhp is possible on stock pistons.
      700hp are possible for oem pistons??
      RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
      BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
      LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

There is a blue s2 on youtube running 707bhp on stock pistons, i'm trying to find the link. I have seen one or two going as high as 800

Sapphire cos running custom 2.8litre conversion,es cos rims,raven black leather interior and 500+ with the gas turned off.

Audi s2 cooking on gas

Comment

Yes, only rings are not.

I would consider aftermarket rings after 450hp.

Well, haven't tried 700hp to be exact, but 650 ish in a couple of cases. Only issues with rings.
          Everything less than 2 bar is considered to be naturally aspirated

Comment

What make/type of rings would you sudjest something like total seal rings?
            never set your expectations to high that way you are never disapointed

Comment

and it is possible rebore a few in a machine shop and clean the cylinder bores for a nice engine block refresh continue later using the original used pistons with new racing piston rings??
              RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
              BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
              LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

If the bores are within tolerance once honed (correct piston to sidewall clearance), the pistons themselves have are not oval. Then you can fit aftermarket piston rings to original manufacturers dimensions. Pro Seal rings are nice rings for your hp target.
                UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Totalseal would do.

Problem is, the skirt-wall clearance with old pistons is usually on high side. Especially after You hone the cylinders.

Comment

If sticking with Kolbensmith/stock rings, is it better to go with chrome or moly top ring? Is it the chrome plating coming off the top ring the problem with stock rings?

Comment

Originally posted by PeteUr View Post
                      There is a blue s2 on youtube running 707bhp on stock pistons, i'm trying to find the link. I have seen one or two going as high as 800
                      Probably "Babek"´s s2 your´e talking about

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

Yes, it is the thick chrome that chips off and causes all the issues.

Original rings are made for longevity, not extreme performance.

Comment

Working...
                        X