Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major head ache - suggestions needed

Greetings folks,

A wee sory, followed by a request for help.......

So, I have been moaning at my (garage owning, Audi trainined) good friend to change my valve stem oil seals and gearbox in the S2 for the last 18 months. His answer was always simply - "leave the car with me for a week and I'll do what ever you want doing".

Now, you may think that sounds great, but the problem here is having to drive one of his 1.2 Corsa's for the week so it never got organised. But then, with short notice I booked a business trip to the US for a week, so I immediately hot-footed it over and gave him the good news - he didn't seem chuffed, but he agreed......It went down hill from there on in: -

I rapidly started ordering all the bits I needed (thanks to Parts Daddy as always ) and then ordered a stage 3 South Bend clutch from Marc (great guy) at EFI Express.

We talked about pulling the head, having it flowed and also changing the rods and shells but decided that since funds are limited at the moment (the clutch used my last pennies) we would just do the basics.

I then flew to Germany on business only to then hear from Marc that his German supplier had left him in the lurch and he could now not get me the clutch in time unless he express shipped it for an extra $225 - which he would pay. Ironically, I had been in the same city as his supplier

I couldn't let Marc loose money so I asked where he was based and it turned out he is 52 miles from my US branch. I therefore did the decent thing and said I would hand carry a 10Kg clutch back to the UK and Marc agrees to hand deliver it to my hotel. My friend was not happy as he would receive it on Friday lunchtime and then have to put back the gearbox, drive sharfts, prop, sub frame, exhaust etc

I reach the US and the stronger, larger carry-on bag I have breaks whilst almost empty, which didn't bode well for carrying a heavy pressure plate, so I call Marc and ask him to bring a pop-rivet gun with him.

Marc arrives with a Stage 4 clutch for the cost of a stage 3 as his supplier has let him down again and even repairs my bag in the car park

Now I just have to get a 10Kg landmine shaped lump of metal through airport security...... Funnily enough this is not actually all that hard. You simply tell them you have something odd with you, let them stand around the monitor guessing and then when they work it out and ask why, just creep and tell them that the best clutches are American made - works like a charm, as did Marc's repairs to my rucksack.

Cheers n

Si
    Last edited by HPmuirt; 28 March 2010, 08:47.
    95 ABY S2 Coupe - Ragusa Green
    Subtle mods here and there

2011 A5 3.0 TDi - Lava Grey
    With every option available (except a towball)

Part 1b (the story cont)
    So I fail to get an upgrade on the way home, I get no sleep due to a screaming baby and so I am pretty tired on the way back to Cambridge, but the M25 was remarkably clear at 8:30am and so I excitedly head to my friends garage to deliver the clutch and help with the rebuild.

I arrive to find my old box out and the new box ready to go in...
    Gearbox out.jpg

The new South Bend stage 4 clutch as hand delivered
    Clutch.jpg

So far, so good....

Cheers n

Si

Comment

Part 1c (the story cont)

So I wonder around to the front of my car and I am greeted with this.....
      Head off.jpg

The very last stud to be removed had snapped off in the head, so now the head had to be pulled and sent off to be drilled

Cheers n tears

Si
      Last edited by HPmuirt; 28 March 2010, 02:30.

Comment

Could have used a dremel

Comment

Part 2 (the questions)

So, I can't afford new rods and my friend is down a ramp so the car needs to be sorted as soon as the head comes back so to the questions: -

What should I have done whilst the car is like this?
          What should be changed?
          What should be checked?
          Any other comments or ideas that will not cost a fortune?

The good news is that the honing marks are all still looking fresh - My friend said that after 125K miles it looks like the block is just about run in

Cheers n

Si

Comment

If your not changing rods leave the bottom end alone, I would suggest getting some ARP head studs, be false economy to refit new OEM ones in preparation for when you do have the rods done

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
              If your not changing rods leave the bottom end alone, I would suggest getting some ARP head studs, be false economy to refit new OEM ones in preparation for when you do have the rods done
              Hey matey, what do you mean, can ARP bolts be reused then?

I was wondering about ARP head bolts but I thought the shoulders or ARP washers were too small and cut into the ally head? I seem to remember someone discovered which larger washers should be used. Anyone BTDT?

Cheers n

Si

Comment

Yes as the OEM are stretch bolts and can't be reused with the ARP you simply take of the nuts to the studs and retorque to use them.

The ARP's cost 2x price of OEM but can be reused and are less likely to suffer from head lift under high boost

Yep use the SQ washers. There's quite a few threads with the part numbers for them, the washers are cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                  Yes as the OEM are stretch bolts and can't be reused with the ARP you simply take of the nuts to the studs and retorque to use them.

The ARP's cost 2x price of OEM but can be reused and are less likely to suffer from head lift under high boost

Yep use the SQ washers. There's quite a few threads with the part numbers for them, the washers are cheap
                  Thanks matey, I'll have a search

Cheers n

Si

Comment

OK, ARP bolts sourced from Aelred

What else should I do/change/check/add?

Cheers n

Si

Comment

Has it had cambelt/waterpump/idler recently? How about MFTS and Thermostat while they're easy to get to? You could also do the O rings on the PS pump and fit an S3 diverter valve if you're still on the plastic one and do the IC O ring and or the Mark H mod.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

Engine mounts as well, check them to see if they are shot. Easy to replace with the head off, the drivers side is tricky with the manifold and turbo in place

Comment

Consider those two short water hoses under the inlet manifold, you'll not get better access than you have at the minute Si.
                          Also consider the spaghetti of vacuum hosing not easily accessible at the rear of the head.
                          2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
                          2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
                          1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

Thanks for the list of checks guys. I had not thought of some of them.

Any more?

Cheers n

Si

Comment

I hope these are ok?
                              Attached Files
                              Carlos.

On the look out for less bits for my s2 saloon project. Now supporting myself by shooting for my food. www.airgunforum.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X