X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Bearings.

Hi!,
    Although the big end upgrade (Sputter bearings) has been discussed, what do people use for the main bearings?
    I know Steve H used a different bearing manufacture (Gylcol) for his rebuild recently. The only visible difference was that the thrusts were integral (please correct me if I'm wrong Steve). I had never heard of them before but as they were supplied by a well respected source, I assumed they were up to the job and superior to stock stuff.
    So are there upgraded mains in terms of design/materials,(if so, who/what/how much) or are the stresses not so severe as the loads on the big ends?
    Be interested to hear what other listers have used on conversions over 380bhp.
    Cheers!

I used new genuine parts for the main bearings and the big end bearings.
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

I've used the Glyco mains and big ends (the big ends had the sputter shells), the mains had the integral thrusts but I couldn't see any other difference. Can't say how good they are yet though till its up and running, although as you say they came from a good source too.

Mark.
      Mark - Modded

Comment

The integrated thrusts are NOT to be used on road going cars!!! if any one has fitted these, then for gods sake remove them NOW!!!
        Martyn
        -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Shoot,

I thought today was the 1st of April....

Originally posted by Martynf
          The integrated thrusts are NOT to be used on road going cars!!! if any one has fitted these, then for gods sake remove them NOW!!!
          Martyn
          -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Mark - Modded

Comment

Originally posted by Martynf

Actually, without wishing to alarm anyone, the KS catalogue says effectively the same thing. However "The Source" should know about this. I haven't heard Steve H moan yet.
              I have also just discovered that there are sputter bearings for the mains. They are put in the bottom rather than the top for big ends. Whether they are available/desirable for our application is another issue. I have heard of someone supposedly using them at a rather astronomical cost. That was the reason behind this thread.

Comment

I was just about to say the same thing Martyn with the thrust washers. I was speaking to John's mechanic down the road from him last week and he was saying about the consequences of people fitting bearings with combined thrust washers for road use.

Greg
                Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Can someone explain what they mean by sputter bearings and combined thrust washers ??

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
                    I was speaking to John's mechanic down the road from him last week and he was saying about the consequences of people fitting bearings with combined thrust washers for road use.

Greg
                    Greg, what did he say, I need to know before I put the engine in at the weekend please!!!

Mark.
                    Mark - Modded

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
                      Can someone explain what they mean by sputter bearings and combined thrust washers ??
                      Doug,

sputter bearings are uprated shells from Glyco, here's a quote from their site:

"Product longevity through sputter coating technology. The most resistant bearing material in the world is produced with this coating technology series. The sputter process gives the highest resistance to wear and fatigue. Glyco products are designed for optimal performance in high-powered engines. Current vehicle applications include Audi, BMW, DaimlerChrysler, Opel, Peugeot and Volkswagen -- plus many others".

My set of big ends came with five of them and I put them in the top half, same as the uprated RS2 ones.

The combined thrust bearings are basically the number four main bearing shell (in our engines) combined with the thrust bearings/washers. To be honest I hadn't really thought much about it till now, but the only possible problem I can think of is that when the crank endfloat is taken up, say during clutch depression, maybe the whole bearing upper and lower shells could move slightly?? Although the combined shell is very tight on the bearing housing.

Here's a pic of one, with the integral thrust bearings arrowed:

Mark.
                      Attached Files
                      Mark - Modded

Comment

Basically he said when you put your foot on the clutch and use the thrust washers overtime it is possible for them to rotate in their positions and coming out of place.
                        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

All is clear now - thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
                            All is clear now - thanks
                            Errr! I'm a bit confused now!
                            Greg, are you saying that the mains with integral thrusts are more prone to rotating?(i.e. spun bearings).
                            Mark, does the Gylcol bearing have some sort of lug that locates the thrust side of the bearing into the main cap, as per the original thrust bearing.
                            I tried Steve H last night but he is either too busy or not back from holiday yet. Might be useful to have a word with him as his bearings have been in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu
                              Errr! I'm a bit confused now!
                              Yep, Me too

Originally posted by twoqu
                              Greg, are you saying that the mains with integral thrusts are more prone to rotating?(i.e. spun bearings).
                              Mark, does the Gylcol bearing have some sort of lug that locates the thrust side of the bearing into the main cap, as per the original thrust bearing.
                              I tried Steve H last night but he is either too busy or not back from holiday yet. Might be useful to have a word with him as his bearings have been in a while.
                              Robin,

the bearings do not have the lug you are thinking of, as far as I remember they are circular.
                              I know Steve has used these so far with no probs and I know that they were supplied by as you say a 'good source'. To be honest I'm sick of the sight of my engine at the moment and I just want to get it in the car, I cant imagine that Glyco make crap bearings, and if they did I doubt that the machine shop where the work was done would supply them......lol..I hope .

So its going in and I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Mark.
                              Mark - Modded

Comment

Working...
                              X