• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mark Halligan
    So its going in and I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Mark.
    Is there any physical evidence around that shows that these bearings are "inferior"?

I have the same bearings. I got them trough my machine shop/engine tuning company on their advise. These guys build the meanest engine's around so I'm trusting on them

I'm putting them in aswell.

Cheers
    RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
    RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
    Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
    High Octane website

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffer
      Is there any physical evidence around that shows that these bearings are "inferior"?

I have the same bearings. I got them trough my machine shop/engine tuning company on their advise. These guys build the meanest engine's around so I'm trusting on them

Cheers
      I think the fact that fact that "professionals" are recommending them should indicate that they are suitable.
      Not particularly computer savvy but this is what raised the question.
      http://www.msi-motor-service.com/dow...L_lagtypen.pdf
      Scroll down to the section on thrust bearings and see what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffer

Cheers

If you don't mind, can I ask how much the full set cost you?
        Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
        20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

Any updates or comments on the combined thrust bearings?? I may be in the market for these uprated shells very soon. Before reading this thread I had never heard of this problem.

--
          Cheers,
          Audun
          Last edited by Urquattro20V; 12 December 2006, 16:48.

Comment

Originally posted by Martynf
            The integrated thrusts are NOT to be used on road going cars!!! if any one has fitted these, then for gods sake remove them NOW!!!
            THATS NOT correct: VOLVO does have this since 1961,thats for sure.....in b18/b20/b30/19/21/23/25.......but not in b200 and 230 until 1988, then intergrated trust from 88-98??....

Comment

I am writing my 2 pennys worth, Glyco bearings are used in high performance and competition engines as an uprated bearing by many engine builders including myself.
              I prefer using the separate thrusts. The mains are also uprated.
              Aelred

Comment

I've been running these bearings for nearly two years without any obvious problems. The engine will be out of the car soon, so I'll take a look and let you know what I find.
                91 Modded 3B
                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Does anyone have the part numbers for the glyco mains and big end shells, am I right in thinking the glyco big ends are hardened top and bottom?

Comment

Originally posted by CHEN View Post
                    Does anyone have the part numbers for the glyco mains and big end shells, am I right in thinking the glyco big ends are hardened top and bottom?
                    Glyco big ends Part # below, pack contains five 'sputter' (hardened top shells) and five normal (bottom) shells.

I don't have the Part # anymore for the Glyco mains, as in my latest build I used and prefer the OEM mains shells, the reason for my preference for the OEM mains can be seen HERE (my opinion only.....)

Cheers
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Mark Halligan; 20 April 2007, 07:12.
                    Mark - Modded

Comment

Thanks Mark, I think from what I have read/seen I will stick to OEM mains. The question now is am I better of buying glyco big end shells or two sets of RS2 OEM uppers?

Comment

Chen

Again my opinion only, but I am happy with the Glyco big end shell set, with the sputtered top shells.

Aelred has built many high power motors and there is not much he doesn't know about these engines, it might be worth asking him, but I am fairly sure he uses the Glyco shell sets too.
                        Mark - Modded

Comment

Made a sticky in light of issues with DJones car.

Mine did not spin just wore out in 200 miles due to the new heavy clutch cover plate wanting to push the crank forward.

The separate thrust bearing are much wider on the contact face spreading the load more.

Stay well clear of the combined when using a none standard clutch.
                          Last edited by Jamo; 20 August 2007, 09:42.

Comment

Numpty

guys sorry for sounding like a numpty about the bearings but in laymans terms why wouldn't you use these on a road car. Is bigger and stronger not always best?

Kevin

Comment

What options does this leave for oversize main bearings?
                              sigpic
                              1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                              1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                              1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Can you guys tell where you buy these bearings from? preferably online as I need to order a set.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X