Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine sheared off when the bolt came undone and bent 10 valves , a nice little expensive 4uck up (with hols and running about +£1k) and as it had only been done 13 month earlier (9000Miles) my mate wouldn't cough up anything to aid in fixing it, said i was driving too fast and i even went through the books as a full paying customer (£150-about 1/3 labour costs charged as i was a mate) to get the job done. After the rebuild i got a propper torque wrench and torqued it too 450NM with medium strength locktite, not grease, not taking any more chances.
    If a job is worth doing, it is worth doing RIGHT-so do it yourself, or someone who has good sound knowledge of the S2 and Trustworthy, also if using a garage get a warranty down in writing.
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

YEah these bolts need to be tight, my car has always had its belts changed at dealers so i guess they must have used the correct tools everytime, as my pulley was in A1 condition, and there is no sign of it being replaced in the records. That bolt must be loctited into place. make sure the threads in the crank are clean and free of old loctite or rust etc. use brake cleaner into the end so it is grease free. Then use a NEW bolt and torque it up with the special locking tools. The gearbox wont take 400NM, thats more than the engine kicks out (stock).

I used high strength loctite and torqued it to about 400 NM, i even sheared a 'snap-off' extension bar in the process. I used my halfords special in the end
      sigpic
      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
      Audi UR Quattro
      Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
      Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH
        Looks like a design fault to me.
        Yep too right, its its made of ***** metal IMHO

Mark.
        Mark - Modded

Comment

Lets be fair, these pulleys take some abuse. Plus nearly all of them are at least 10 years old now and have been heat cycled sooo many times.
          sigpic
          Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
          Audi UR Quattro
          Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
            That bolt must be loctited into place. make sure the threads in the crank are clean and free of old loctite or rust etc.
            Thanks for that Tom, I am just about to fit a new cam belt ( due to age and not mileage) 14 years ols with 22k on the clock. Better safe than sorry!.

I would have read haynes anyway, not that it's much use!

David

Comment

Whoa! Maybe all stick to my normally aspirated 20v!!!!

nah.... :-P
              Dave K.
              USA
              1991 e//S2 (home built S2 - the only way to get one in USA!)
              2001 S4

Comment

Thats got the same setup
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by scouser_75
                  Fat Audi 80,

How much did the Autopool charge you for your cambelt change???

I'm gonna get my one done soon (along with a 101 other things )
                  I had a 20,000 mile service, brake fluid change and cambelt inc a new pulley and i paid £600.

I think there was £245 in labour for the service and cambelt and rest was parts and vat etc. I thought that was reasonable value.

Cheers,

Steve.
                  The Perfectionist
                  sigpic
                  Audi Class Concours winner Stoner Park 2014, ADI Concours D'Elegance Class Winner 2008, Runner up 2014. Winner, S2Forum Show'n'Shine Billing 2006 & 2008.

Comment

This is on my list o jobs (which stretches on into eternity) - 450nm torque wrench - where from and how much? Also DOUG please remember to bring your locking tool to Coombe with you - will PM if you don't catch this.

Cheers, Paul
                    'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Also just ordered another crank pulley - cheers Vagparts - you life savers you. Whilst my belt was supposed to have been done by another certain forum member, looking at it, the belt was completely undisturbed i.e. not done as said.

Watch out for the cowboys guys!

Yippee ki-ay muddyfunster
                      'The Bacofoil Express'...

No more.

Leon TDI 150 run in now.

Very slow.

Needs a chip.

Comment

Originally posted by APNess
                        This is on my list o jobs (which stretches on into eternity) - 450nm torque wrench - where from and how much? Also DOUG please
                        I would not buy a torque wrench for this job as it is easy to get quite exact torque by using your own weight. Torque (tau) is the function of mass (m) and pivot arm length (l):

tau = 9,81 m/s^2 * m (kg) * l (m)

So for 450 Nm and a weight of, say, 80 kg:

450 Nm / (9,81 m/s^2 * 80 kg) = 0,57 m

The pivot arm must be perfectly horisontal!

Be sure to support the socket wrench somehow (with an axlestand for example).
                        Markus

'94 Kristallsilber-metallic S2 Avant.

Comment

I have seen my fair share of crack crank pulleys all five cylinders seem to suffer including the diesels. On normally aspirated 20v engines i have seen the cam woodruff snap from what i think might be over tightning.

Comment

Has any one got a bit more info on the special tool for locking crank
                            what it looks like or how i can make one ????
                            Regards jade
                            RS 2 580HP

Comment

i machined down the oil pump housing on my old ur quattro so it was possible to slde the belt between pulley and case,made cambelt changes a tad easier to say the least!!!!

Comment

I don't think that audi recommend greasing the bolt that holds the pulley on, in doing so would alter the torque of the bolt, bolts are usually loctited in, but i could stand to be corrected. Very worrying the pattern of failed and cracked pulleys both top and bottom, there was a guy over on the quattro forum that's had similar problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X